Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2002 8:25:49 AM EDT
has anyone heard anything about there pistols or carbine? I see that the Carbine has gone down in price and there pistols look nice also. So if you have heard anything about these Firearms please tell me. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Got thier hard chrome P32 and love it.

More info here.
www.ktog.org
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Have an early P11 in 9mm, nice, small, reliable, but my Dad carries it because I couldn't get comfy the 14-16# trigger. He has hands like a gorilla and didn't notice. He loves it, mainly for the size.

Mike

PS - no trigger adjustments can be made on the P11s.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Have a P-32.  Have fired another P-32 and a .40 extensively.  Not a real fan of the make.  My P-32 has worked okay, but a friend has one that has been troublesome since day one.  Likewise, his .40 seldom gets through a trip to the range wihout a malf of some type.  Almost always a failure to feed, although it has occasionally also failed to eject.  OTOH, another friend has one of the 9 mm's, and it apparently works okay.  Keltec seems to be more of a "luck of the draw" proposition than the first tier makers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I read on that web sightwww.ktog.org
that there was a lot of problem with the 40. mags.

Do these guns use any other type of mags because I saw them comparing them a lot to the S&W mags?

I'm looking at these gun's because there inexpensive and the wife want's a Glock 23 but I don't have the money to buy her one so I thought just let her use my Glock 22 for now and get me a nice pistol or get her a carbine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a chromed P-32 that I carry almost daily as a backup.  Never had a problem with it, although I only have about 200 rounds thru it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a P-11 and I like it very much.  It is very compact and fun to shoot.  I like how it accepts hi-cap s&w mags (the hi-cap mags stick out about an inch though).
I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a P-32 with about 700 rounds through it.  I haven't gone through many magazines without having one problem or another.  Kel-Tec refuses to sell parts except directly (so, no calling Brownells or any other company that specializes in selling parts or in customer service), and they refuse to publish a price list or order policies.  So, you're left having to call them and beg to get a part.  Yes, you have to call them, because they don't take orders online.

I've got a few pictures of the problems with my P-32 at users.upstate.net/zoom/P-32/

If you're interested, www.ktog.org is a good forum for Kel-Tec's.z
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a P32.  It was an amazing light weight gun, except it was a little problem prone.  After two trips back to KelTec I traded it off.  Others have had great results.  I wasn't one of them.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Any problem you have with the P32 send it to them and they will make it right for the life of the pistol for free, less shipping for the first time. On the same problem if it has to go back to Kel-Tec then shipping is on them if you request.
I called Kel-Tec about an extractor problem months ago and the nice lady on the phone sent me a new extractor in the mail free, without even knowing if I in fact owned the gun in question.
I just called the yesterday because I have the same extractor problem happening again and Kel-Tec is mailing me another one for free, again without any info from me on actually owning the pistol. (I called from work and did not have the serial number or receipt with me)
Picked up the belt clip they make from my local FFL dealer, also CDNN Investments Inc. sells magazines and accessories for the P32 in thier catalog.

Price List for P32 Parts

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've owned the P32 and thought it was a great little front pocket gun. I own a couple of AR's but I saw the sub2000 in 9mm at a gun show and just had to have it. Coolest looking carbine I've seen in a long time. The way it folds in half when not shooting. Almost completely polymer (barrel and such) I haven't shot it yet (had it for a month but I just can't find the time or the place when I have a little time)....The lifetime warranty on all kel-tecs in very, very inviting you must admit. And all American made!.....But my favorite is still and forever will be the Bushmaster AR15 !!  jackpot-out
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought one of the first P-11's sometime in '96 and just recently sold it.  Mine shot way left, and the barrel and slide began to peen at the locking block edge.  The trigger on mine was awful; replacing the spring with a lighter one improved it to "pretty bad."  

The recoil was fierce with HydraShoks and it was hard indeed not to develop a flinch with it.

It's a very innovative gun and packs a lot of power for its size, but I hated shooting the thing, and I'm not sorry to see it gone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Used to have P11. It was a good enough gun.... FOR ME TO POOP ON! Know many people who carry P32's. I am very impressed with that little gun. I fired an excellent 10 yard group with some cheap FMJs using a range gun P32. Might even buy one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Have to Comment;

Ken-Mays - The P-11 ain't a shooting gun, it's a self defense gun...kinda like an airweight smith and wesson revolver. I just bought a p-11. Heard that it has FTF and jams etc. especially first few rounds. I shot 50+ rounds through it and no Malfunctions at all.

It is a bear to hold. I ordered the mag shoe that will allow me to put my little finger on the grip. That should help both accuracy and the recoil. If it doesn't help accuracy, I'll order the sight kit from Kel-tec. They have everything you want for the gun, and it's the lightest and smallest 10+1 9mm I've seen.

For $200.00 it is quite a nice little carry defensive weapon.
I'll carry it when I'm not carrying my SA Ultra Compact .45. Or maybe both. I love shooting the .45 and I doubt if I'll ever like shooting the Kel-tec as I don't like shooting my airweight S&W (OUCH is the term I use).
Ok I'll quit...just my 1/50th of a dollar
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I should add that the very first time I shot my P32 was at 15yds.  The first 3 shots went thru the same hole!

Of course, I haven't been able to duplicate that since...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a P-11 and a P-32 and like them both. I've never had a problem with the P-11 but did add a trigger shoe and Ashley Express sights. The pull is long but smooth. You can't lighten the trigger but the KTOG site has instructions for smoothing it out. Double action trigger on a U.S. PPK's not any better and it costs a lot more (and a smaller caliber). I've not found it difficult to control (Federal Personal Defense ammo) and much prefer it over a snubbie. The P-32 was an early model that had problems but the factory fixed it no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
i have a p-40 i like it much better with the mag-shoes.   the trouble with there mags is some are just p-11 mags  .the 40 fits in it all right but to use it you have to file the wing on the mag becase its too long to let the shell travel far enough forward to pop up into the chamber ramp.  a forty smith mag will fit in the kel-tec but not visa versa.   good inexpensive gun ..
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had both the P11 and the P32.

P11 advantages - lightweight, thin, reasonable caliber, reliable (mine), ability to use high caps, no safety, belt/pocket clip

P11 disadvantages - no safety, heavy trigger pull, sharp recoil pulse delays accurate second shot, sights of limited effectiveness.

Bottom line:  I sold mine because I couldn't get along with the heavy trigger pull.  I seemed to do better ignoring the sights and punching toward the target.  I sold it to a friend who used it in a handgun class and he had the top score.  I believe this is his carry gun now.  My replacement for it was a Glock 26.

P32 advantages - lightweight, thin, belt/pocket clip, no safety, reasonable trigger pull, reliable, low recoil pulse

P32 disadvantages - no safety, worthless sights, minimal caliber

Bottom line:  I'll have this with me nearly everyday.  It fulfulls the first rule (ie Have a gun) but I would prefer one in .380.  As Mr. Seecamp says, "if you need sights, you don't need my pistol".   Definitely fills its role very well.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]
The quality of the Kel tec line is varied.  In another incarnation they made the Grendel 380.  Cool, tiny, light .380 POS. Loaded through the top, had an internal magazine.  You can see the P11 precursors in the design, though.  Then they made a version with a standard removable mag.  Not much better.  A lot of LEO's bought them as BUG's, but few carried them very long.  They did work occasionally, though.  I was involved in a case where the victim was shot with one and died.

When they entered their current incarnation of Kel-Tec they made the P11, whic was realatively good most of the time for what it was, a cheap, roughly finished, inexpesive 9mm with a bad trigger that was extreemly small and light for it's day.  There were some that had functioning problems, but plenty that worked just fine.  Putting the finishing touches on them yourself and doing everything under the sun to improve the trigger pull became a cottage industry.  Kel Tec even changed trigger spring weight after a while to help out.  I never had any problems with the gun, but never had any luck with the trigger, even with the light spring, and would not feel comforatble relying on the one I have fired (belongs to a friend) much past arms length in a dangerous situation.  You (actaully he and I both) just have to work too hard to keep it pointed where you want it.

They made a .40 cal version that had some problems, and they dropped it from their line.  I think they still make .40 uppers to put on your P11, but won't sell a whole .40 gun.  Makes me wondrer when they make the upper, and make the lower, but won't sell them as a unit.    

The P32 is a whole different story.  I have 2 and LOVE them.  NO FTF's.  NO hiccups.  I have qualified twice with one (have to shoot a score with anything I want to have handy during business hours) on courses that include firing from as far as the 25 yard line.  Now to be fair, the one I use for that was sent to Ashley Outdoors for a big dot tritium front sight, but still ...

My buddy checked it out and bought one also.  Same story, no problems.  Just a gun that is only a little over $200 that you can conceal in a pair of running shorts that holds at least enough 32 rounds to get you out of trouble.  

Have not ssen or shot either the old (metal) or new (some polymer) carbine, but will probably buy one when the .40 cal GLOCK mag version becomes widely available.  (Because it just so happens I have a lot of loaded .40 cal GLOCK mags lying around at any given time).  I'll let you know.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
these little old guns are not made for little people!   a big old dude can take a sawed off 12 gauge shoot it all night long one handed and have a good old time!  its like missing a volly-ball in mid flight it can damn near tear your arm off.  thats why nobody likes the 10mm . i would like kel tec to make a p-45 but if nobody wants there 40  oh well they are still very reliable  little guns for big guys (or the big of heart)   .. they used to make 20mm rifle tank guns....   how about one of those maybe cut down to a carbine!!...
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I read on that web sightwww.ktog.org
that there was a lot of problem with the 40. mags.

Do these guns use any other type of mags because I saw them comparing them a lot to the S&W mags?

I'm looking at these gun's because there inexpensive and the wife want's a Glock 23 but I don't have the money to buy her one so I thought just let her use my Glock 22 for now and get me a nice pistol or get her a carbine.

If you are getting it for your wife be sure she tries it out first!
Every woman I've had shoot mine (admittedly only 5) HATES it!  It has a huge trigger pull and it is not a pleasent gun to shoot!  I agree with others that it is a defense gun and I rarely shoot it.  I've put probably 300 to 400 rnds through it with no malfunction of any kind, so I do trust it and carry it everyday.  I prefer my Glock 27 but it is MUCH easier to conceal the P-11.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
My P11 is a terrific little gun.  I bought it with low expectations, but after 1000+ rounds, I don't recall it ever jamming.  The long heavy trigger pull *is* the Kel-Tec's safety and is pretty effective as such.  However, it is NOT for everyone.  See if you can dry fire one with a snap cap a few dozen times and watch your sights.  That should tell you whether you're going to shoot it well.

I can easily spend half a day practicing double taps after drawing from a concealed carry position with it and never get bored.  At ranges of 7 to 15 yards, I rarely put one outside the kill zone and I'm not a particularly good shooter.

There were some problems in early versions, but as far as I know, most have been corrected.  Recently manufactured units should be fine.  www.ktog.org has a wealth of information about every aspect.  Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't mean to be a late reply but I just bought a new  P32 for my wife. Of course the first comment she had was " Oh, it's sooo cute". Then we went out for instructions and to shoot.   After slow fire of two mags she put six shots inside a 10" ring in three seconds at 20 feet and she is a lousy shot. Only complaint she had was that putting the seventh round into the mag is tight. Bottom line on the P32, nice little gun for its use.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Carbine:  Sub 40
Caliber: 40 SW
Sights: Peep (scope mount available)
Magazine: Glock 22

Over all opinion:  Good weopon for 'under/behind the seat'.  Accuarcy is acceptable.  Easy to clean (tilt it up and swab the barrel!!) Love the thing.  Lets you use the same mag as pistol for longer range targets.  Stick the 'big stick' mag in it and you have some fire power.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top