Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 9:06:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I just did a post about this in the Non Firearms Discussion Board. I hope you all will let them know how you feel about this. Thanks,
A concerned airline pilot
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It has been said, but I will say it again. I don't want the pilots to do anything but fly the damn plane.

Arm the passengers willing to carry with the following condition. The passengers who choose to be armed must only pass a safety and firearm competency test. No registration of these folks in any way shape or form (including fingerprinting). Those that choose to take the test will be provided a completely anonymous license to carry if and when they choose to do so. Naturally, those who carry will only have to present the license to the metal detector stooges and pass on by.

Put the power to preserve freedom back where it belongs--in the hands of the people.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone try finding the place to make comments?  They must not want opinions to badly.  I cant find the stupid thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
[email protected] is the address to let the FAA what you think about this.

DJBump- there is at least one pilot on every plane. There may not be any armed passengers on the plane when you need one. Wouldn't it be better to have a pilot armed so that he is able to fly the airplane? Flying the airplane is not that tough. And on any commercial aircraft there are two pilots and in some cases a flight engineer as well. In the event of someone trying to take over control of the aircraft flying the aircraft is the least of anyone's worries. But if thats how you feel let the FAA know that. I would prefer well trained pilots being armed but I would settle for WELL TRAINED pax carrying them if thats all I can get. I'm here to tell you though I really don't ever see that happening. With exception of air marshals and LEO's.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
[email protected] is the address to let the FAA what you think about this.

DJBump- there is at least one pilot on every plane. There may not be any armed passengers on the plane when you need one. Wouldn't it be better to have a pilot armed so that he is able to fly the airplane? Flying the airplane is not that tough. And on any commercial aircraft there are two pilots and in some cases a flight engineer as well. In the event of someone trying to take over control of the aircraft flying the aircraft is the least of anyone's worries. But if thats how you feel let the FAA know that. I would prefer well trained pilots being armed but I would settle for WELL TRAINED pax carrying them if thats all I can get. I'm here to tell you though I really don't ever see that happening. With exception of air marshals and LEO's.  

Done.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The above link is for comments regarding the events of September 11th.

Go to this link, press the "ES Submit" button to leave a comment on the specific proposed rule.

dms.dot.gov/search/document.asp?qdocumentid=146178&qdocketid=11229

You have to register and give an e-mail and postal address.  This makes sense as public comments are taken seriously in rulemaking.  They need to know that the ballet box isn't getting stuffed and they need to be able to determine the validity of the comment.

Something simple like "I support allowing pilots to carry firearms" is best.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I stand corrected, you don't HAVE to register, you can leave an anonymous comment, it's best if you do register if you want your comment taken seriously.  

You need the docket number:
FAA-2001-11229-1
and the title:
Fire Arms, Less Than Lethal Weapons, and Emergency Services on Commercial Air Flights
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Registered & commented.  Man, the FAA couldn't make it much more obtuse a process.  I probably shouldn't complain.  At least I didn't have to mail them a sheet of paper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I registered, too.  Every little bit helps.  I want every pilot who passes the training to be carrying, assuming they want to.  What else would they do if a terrorist got into the cockpit, fight them off with their coffee cups?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Registered and commented.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Centauro- OK I'll go there too. Thanks for the info. And thanks to everyone else for your support.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]
OK done. Where did you find that site? That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OK done. Where did you find that site? That was pretty cool.

It was under the "Federal Register" topic on the FAA home page.  Amazing the things that you as a citizen are allowed to comment on.

I trained at OSHA for a couple of months.  New policies have public comment periods and they really take ALL comments seriously.  It feels good knowing that a short, well reasoned supportive argument for this counters the Brady-bunches page after page of legal rambling on almost a 1:1 basis.

Thanks for the headup FishKepr.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I stand corrected, you don't HAVE to register, you can leave an anonymous comment, it's best if you do register if you want your comment taken seriously.  

You need the docket number:
FAA-2001-11229-1
and the title:
Fire Arms, Less Than Lethal Weapons, and Emergency Services on Commercial Air Flights

Registered and Done
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I gave up after 10 minutes of trying to register...
*ERROR...
*Must have at least...blah blah blah...

What a bunch of overcomplicated BULLSHIT

Guess they don't want to hear people's REAL opinions...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
You can fill out the form without registering.

They still want a bunch of information but its pretty painless. Well worth it,IMHO to get your point of view across. Thanks for all who have already.

Dave
An airline pilot that would like the right to carry while flying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top