Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 6:27:05 PM EDT
i was surfing the net and ran across a picture of an M4 with a pump shotgun under the barrel, where an M203 would be. Is this legal for civies to own? what is the barrel length on the shotgun?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes this is legal with a TAX stamp from ATF. The short barreled shotgun is considerd an A.O.W. Any Other Weapon. Go to www.subguns.com To read into the law.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What if the shotgun barrel is 18"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Then as far as i know its ok. But check your state laws. BTW this will look really dumb unless you are mounting it to a +20" barrel. Also look at the cost of the mount for this. $300 plus dollars. The $5 tax stamp is worth having the real deal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Knights Armaments Corp makes a 10" 870 MasterKey - it attaches like a M203 and uses the KAC M203 QD mount.  
I would assume that you could find a similar settup for private ownership
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Its only 5 bucks.  where do I get it!!!
lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Doesn't the total length of the shotgun still have to reach the minimum that no longer makes it an AOW?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't the total length of the shotgun still have to reach the minimum that no longer makes it an AOW?

Yes...

FWIW: I was of the understanding that a short barreled SGN cost different than an NFA weapon. Like $50 vs. $200 tax stamp.
Am I correct ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

FWIW: I was of the understanding that a short barreled SGN cost different than an NFA weapon. Like $50 vs. $200 tax stamp.
Am I correct ?

Nope, SBS and SBRs are still $200 a pop for tax stamp.

BTW, the shotgun would have to be registered as a short barreled shotgun, an AOW would not do it, because once it is mounted on the AR...  it now has a stock.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, and I believe the KAC Masterkey with mount is about $1000 (+tax stamp).  That's an awful lot for a Rem 870!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Its one heck of alot of money for something that has little or no use unless you are blowing the hinges off of doors.  That is its real purpose.  Used with lockbuster for entry work.  It saves you from having to deal with another weapon slung just to open the door.  Yes it looks real cool but if used with slugs or buck you will have a terrible time with accuracy and probably shoot someone in your own family and not the bad guy entering your house.  Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
KAC will not sell the Masterkey to the public - it is a LEO/MIL item only and at that it retails for about $1100 depending upon quantity.
OUCH!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
i found the masterkey on impactguns.com here's a cut and paste.... sorry i dont know how to post picture.
Knight's Masterkey Shotgun 12g

$1,899.00

Shown here on the M4C, the Masterkey is the ultimate addition to an R.A.S.-equipped AR-15 or HK gun.

Caliber: 12 Guage
Weight: 5.75 lbs
Barrel: 10" Barrel
Capacity: 3 Rd. Magazine Capacity
Classified as a Short Barrel Shotgun, requiring a $200 transfer tax.

here is the link
http://www.impactguns.com/store/knights_masterkey.html

hainsawkill.gif
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.impactguns.com/store/knights_masterkey.html

Hmm - the KAC Mil rep told me it was not for public consumption - but our price was much better
It is mounted on a select fire KAC SR-16 M4
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
KAC will not sell the Masterkey to the public - it is a LEO/MIL item only and at that it retails for about $1100 depending upon quantity.
OUCH!

That may be KAC's policy, but my former C3 had them for sale to civvies with the proper paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh, and I believe the KAC Masterkey with mount is about $1000 (+tax stamp).  That's an awful lot for a Rem 870!

MSRP is $2000, I looked into it last summer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I am in love!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr 40mm makes a masterkey adapter for civilian use.  check with him on that.

http://www.mr40mm.com/page5.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am in love!

Has anyone ever though of doing that with a semi-auto shotgun like a Mossburg 9200? Or is there no way they can do that?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#19]
They use a pump because it is used as a door breaching tool, hence the name masterkey.  The rounds used in this purpose dose not work with a auto shotgun. The powder lever is too weak to cycle the action.  This is not used to neutralize target in combat, then again, I won't bet against it being used on soft targets on occasions.

Doing a 9200 all depends on the recoil spring, if it is located in the butt stock, the it won't work.  by using a Benelli M3 super 90 with the folding stock you can mount the shotgun in this manner since the recoil spring is wrapped around the magazine tube.  cut the barrel down and use the factory three tube with out an extension.  You might have some thing there.  now you just got to convince someone to make a mount for you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They use a pump because it is used as a door breaching tool, hence the name masterkey.  The rounds used in this purpose dose not work with a auto shotgun. The powder lever is too weak to cycle the action.  This is not used to neutralize target in combat, then again, I won't bet against it being used on soft targets on occasions.

Doing a 9200 all depends on the recoil spring, if it is located in the butt stock, the it won't work.  by using a Benelli M3 super 90 with the folding stock you can mount the shotgun in this manner since the recoil spring is wrapped around the magazine tube.  cut the barrel down and use the factory three tube with out an extension.  You might have some thing there.  now you just got to convince someone to make a mount for you.

I tried checking on the Mossburg web site but they had nothing. I'd think if you placed a lighter recoil spring on the shotgun that you maybe able  to use the door breaching rounds.

A friend of mine got thou Aguila 12ga mini shells to work in his  by replacing a few springs. I'm sure that there is a tool and Die shop out there easily make a mount for it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

MSRP is $2000, I looked into it last summer.

That may be so, but you can do better if you look around a bit:

For $1250: pjs-steyraug.com/LAWENFORCEMENTWEAPONS.html

Can't remember the price at my former C3, but it was I believe it was around $1200 also.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#22]
A nice SPECIALIZED tool.  Extra bulk and weight for 99.999% of the time.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Its one heck of alot of money for something that has little or no use unless you are blowing the hinges off of doors.  That is its real purpose.  Used with lockbuster for entry work.  It saves you from having to deal with another weapon slung just to open the door.  Yes it looks real cool but if used with slugs or buck you will have a terrible time with accuracy and probably shoot someone in your own family and not the bad guy entering your house.  Just my 2 cents

Why would you shoot slugs out of it when you have a rifle bolted to the top of it?

Although the originals used by the military are cylinder choke you can have choke tubes installed. Modified or even Full choke will curb most of the spray.

But for that matter why not fill the shotgun with bean bags, since you have the rifle just a trigger pull away if they dont work?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top