Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 12:07:00 PM EDT
Is either more reliable?  Does the shorty system heat up faster than the longer version?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm, the reason the 16" sysetm is shorter is because the barrel is shorter...

You cannot use a 16 in a 20 and you cannot use a 20 in a 16.

Get it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, i understand, but that's not really what i was getting at.  what i meant was, should the differences in systems be a factor in choosing between a shorty or full length AR.  as in: do shorty's heat up faster under sustained shooting? is the gas pulse stronger with a shorty since it's vented closer to the chamber? if so, is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Umm, the reason the 16" sysetm is shorter is because the barrel is shorter...

You cannot use a 16 in a 20 and you cannot use a 20 in a 16.

Get it?

His question seemed fairly straight forward to me. Anyway, rtl, although my experience is somewhat limited, and some would probably disagree with me, I would say there are more reliability issues with a 16" gas system. The heating up factor should not be an issue, unless you are shooting burst/full auto. However, the higher pressure gas pulse can be more prone to failure to extract/eject issues among others. Of course, saying this, I own two Bushmaster 16" carbines. I just got my second recently, and am currently having a failure to eject issue with it. Im hoping its just a faulty extractor or spring. I have been told that FTE's occur more in 16" because of the higher gas pressure which causes the bolt to be driven back more viloently than on a 20".  Anyway, hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
16" = Stronger blowback

Hence the M4 beefed up buffer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't a Dissipator upper have a longer gas tube???

OR is it just the longer sight radius.

The Armalite & RockRiver "mid" length carbines are available too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The 16 inch has a more reliable gas system, in country boy terms, The 16 inch gets more "gas time" to operate the system. The M4 has the same "gas time" as thr 20 inch models, I invented the word "gas time" Def is the amount of time  after the bullet passes the gas port and before the bullet leaves the barrel.

SKSBOY M4s have 14.5 barrels. Heavy buffer slows cyclic rate. Well, actually inertia.
GG
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]

I invented the word "gas time"

Yeah Right,  Guess you hever heard of my deer meat chili !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top