Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 12:51:08 AM EDT
Ok, Im still debating on whether to buy my friends dads pre-ban CAR-15 for $1000 or get a new Bushy for $850-$900. I havnt been able to get a hold of the guy to get the #'s off the pre-ban to check it. But until then Im trying to figure out what kind of mods I can do to either the pre-ban colt or Bushy. Im wondering what barrels will fit either and if it needs threads on the end and what have you. Can I put an armalite bull barrel on a colt? These guns would seem to have very interchangable parts but I want to make sure before I get any ideas. If I have a 20" barrel and get a 24" can I use the stock float tube? Also, what in the hell does MOA(I think thats how its spelled) the abbreviation for? I know it has to do with accuracey. Im getting excited though about my first rifle purchase and the endless possibilities of modding an AR. I cant leave anything alone. I have to modify everything I get! So ifyou guys would be so kind...educate me please :-)~
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't get the preban, give me his number... $1000 is a steal.  I can get new Bushmasters for $800 so don't spend too much if you go that way.  As far as modifications go, they are all interchangeable other than some colts have a larger front pin which can be a pain.

MOA (minute of angle) is essentially a measurement of accuracy.  If a rifle shoots 1 MOA, it is capable of shooting groups of 1 inch at 100 yards. (the math actually works out to slightly larger than 1 inch, but very close)  1/2 MOA would be groups of 1/2 inch at 100 yards.  If you do a search I'm sure you will find a more in depth explanation

Have fun.... and I'm serious... if you go with the Bushmaster, I'll buy the Colt... assuming the #'s check out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, Ive heard that more than once on this board(can you give his phon#). Im thinking I should get it. He made no mention of it being worth alot or that it was pre-ban. He just said he bought it in 91 and had shot 20 rounds through it since. He actually bought the lower receiver and barrel seperate and put it together. It also has that little scop thats adjustable for yardage. I dont like it but Ive seen similar originals go for over $200. Id like to put a bigger scope on it myself. Are hi-cap magazines illegal to use? He has one 10rnd and 2 30round mags. So if I took it shooting at my local range would I catch heat for using the 30rounders? Thanks for all the info guys...keep it comin!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that the ban was in 94, but don't quote me, it's late.  Check the numbers, and as long as it was built as a complete rifle by the time of the ban it is preban.  Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

Preban hi-caps are legal unless your state has banned them completely (I doubt it). Postban mags are marked with a date code and/or LEO use only so stay away from those.  Also avoid USA mags (bad quality) and go for the USGI ones.

edited because I am too tired to spell
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#4]
siennfein,

This is probably a no-brainer.  Buy the CAR-15.  You can probably sell it for at least $500 more than you paid for it.  Then you could buy a new Bushmaster and some nice accessories, like a good scope.

While prebans command a premium price, they really don't offer much that's significant over a postban.  Perhaps the biggest thing is the ability to put a collapsible stock on a preban, but I find I never shoot mine with the stock in any position other than fully extended.  My preban also has a flashhider, but I don't shoot at night, so about all it's good for is making the gun loud.  You get the idea.  Mostly, prebans are cool, so you're paying for coolness as much as anything.

One of the really nice things about ARs is how well standardized they are.  You can put just about anybody's upper with anybody else's lower and have a solid gun.  (About only exception to this is, alas, Colt, on some models).  For instance, I currently own an AR comprised of an Olympic Arms lower and a Bushmaster upper.  You can buy additional uppers of the same or a different manufacturer and swap them out as the occasion suits you.

Just my 3 or 4 cents.  Welcome aboard and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
siennfein,

Why must you taunt us like this????
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think that the ban was in 94, but don't quote me, it's late.  Check the numbers, and as long as it was built as a complete rifle by the time of the ban it is preban.  Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

Preban hi-caps are legal unless your state has banned them completely (I doubt it). Postban mags are marked with a date code and/or LEO use only so stay away from those.  Also avoid USA mags (bad quality) and go for the USGI ones.

edited because I am too tired to spell

September 14, 1994

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The pre-ban has much better resale value, and does not show any signs of dropping.  Plus Colt often draws a premium price, although Bushmaster has a very good reputation as well.  

The Bushy will be used after you fire the first round through it anyway, so don't be too hung-up on the "new" vs. "used" idea.  Unless, of course, the pre-ban is in bad shape.  

As you can see here and on the Internet in general, there are plenty of parts available for the AR-15, at good prices, so don't worry about being able to keep a older, pre-ban gun functioning.

Welcome to the club and keep in mind that you will soon need to join a 12-step program for this addiction.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
If you dont buy the pre-ban I am going to beat you like a red headed step child.  Seriously, is there any reason not to?  Buy the pre-ban now, get the post ban later.  I wish I could afford a pre-ban.  Actually I could if I came across a deal like you have.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are great. Thanks for educating me! Im beginning to see why I should get the pre-ban. If not for the "evil stuff" you can have on them than the value is a good enough reason for me to buy it. Hey BOOMHOLZER! I think Im gonna talk him down to $900, what do you think I should do :-)~ Just teasin ya! BTW, Dont you already have one pre-ban Boomholzer?

What about this scenario?: Lets say Bush doesnt re-sign the ban and gun manufacturers start adding all the goodies again...does this mean I spent too much on my pre-ban?

So that scenario and wanting an AR that I can put aftermarket parts on are the deciding factors. I think Im going to have to eventually get one of those big fat bull barrels. Maybe in the 24". Now Im not going to be getting into competitions or anything but I have a real love for precision instruments. Im a machinest and I work with tolerences 30 times smaller than a hair and so I have a real appreciation for accuracy. What are some good aftermarket barrel manufacturers that make a great barrel for the "workin man"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You guys are great. Thanks for educating me! Im beginning to see why I should get the pre-ban. If not for the "evil stuff" you can have on them than the value is a good enough reason for me to buy it. Hey BOOMHOLZER! I think Im gonna talk him down to $900, what do you think I should do :-)~ Just teasin ya! BTW, Dont you already have one pre-ban Boomholzer?

What about this scenario?: Lets say Bush doesnt re-sign the ban and gun manufacturers start adding all the goodies again...does this mean I spent too much on my pre-ban?

So that scenario and wanting an AR that I can put aftermarket parts on are the deciding factors. I think Im going to have to eventually get one of those big fat bull barrels. Maybe in the 24". Now Im not going to be getting into competitions or anything but I have a real love for precision instruments. Im a machinest and I work with tolerences 30 times smaller than a hair and so I have a real appreciation for accuracy. What are some good aftermarket barrel manufacturers that make a great barrel for the "workin man"?

siennfein,

Given the supposed condition and price of your friend's pre-ban there is no senerio where you would lose out.

A simular NIB Colt or Bushy will only be a hundred or so clams less.
You can turn-around and sell that lower alone for $900.

Sounds like your looking to build something like this: You might want to look into the Bushy DCM or VMatch 24" barrels/uppers.

Yes, I have toys already but would like to build something like this:

Like others pointed out, it becomes alittle addicting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
BOOMHOLZER: yea I think the top one is more my flavor. I want to lye down in the grass for an hour 300yds away and see how close to 0 I can get. I just sold a used supercharger I bought for a spare or I was going to try to run two of them. So I have $200 so far. By next week I'll have $600-700. Im gettin excited.

Has anyone seen/heard/used Fulton Arms products? They have the sleekest looking float tube Ive seen.

Can anyone tell me how to pick a scope out? I dont have a clue what those numbers mean(exp.4x18x40).

No has told me what will happen to the value of a pre-ban if BOOSH doesnt re-sign the ban. Anyone?

Anyone have a 2 stage trigger on their AR? How do you like it?

What bi-pod would you guys recomend...barrel mounted or lower receiver mounted?

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
BOOMHOLZER:
Can anyone tell me how to pick a scope out? I dont have a clue what those numbers mean(exp.4x18x40).

The scope in your example is a variable power scope. 4xpower-18xpower with a 40mm objective end (pointing towards the target)  A larger objective in general will collect more light than a smaller one.  A fixed power scope states the power first, then the objective (6x40)

No has told me what will happen to the value of a pre-ban if BOOSH doesnt re-sign the ban. Anyone?

Can only guess on that one.  I personally think that the value will go down, but as a collector it will still be a preban so will have more value than the new ones.... IF the ban sunsets.  We all hope it does, but I kind of doubt it.  I just spent $1300 on a preban Bushmaster if that tells you anything.

If you are looking for accuracy, get the float tube and mount the bipod to that, NOT to the barrel.  I don't think that anyone makes a bipod for the lower reciever.

Hope some of this helps
Shadowblade
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]

If you look in my photo, you'll notice two sling studs on the (floating) forearm tube; one for a bipod and one for the sling.
I currently have a Harris bipod on that rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top