Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 4:02:36 PM EDT
I had a chance to sight in my Remington 700 VS in 308 the other day.  I topped the rifle with a Leupold MK4 Base, Badger Ordnance Rings, and a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical Scope.  I was able to get a 5rnd group that could be covered with a quarter.  My load is Fedral Brass, 210m primer, Sierra 175 MK, and 44gr Varget.  

I'll post planned upgrades later
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good! Did you do anything to the trigger? A local smith took mine into his workshop for 5 minutes and handed it back to me breaking right at 3 pounds and like glass. No charge.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
How can that scope be "tactical" with it's bright stainless finish like that?

Anyhow, is the 700VS not a sweet machine? I have the same rifle in left hand since it was the best quality left hand rifle that fit my budget. I love it. Using Federal Premium Match Grade 168gr BTHP I can get groups at 200 yards that measure 1.2" consistently. That's damn near 1/2 MOA. I had a Jewell trigger put in that breaks at 2.5 pounds and mine is topped with a Springfield Armory 4-14x56 Gen III Rangefinding Scope, Leupold QRD rings, and a Harris Bipod.

I love it. Next I want to get a Rem. LTR .308 with the 20" fluted barrel. But a Gemtech Bilock mount on the end and slap a TPR-S can on the end. That will be a sweet machine as well.

www.gem-tech.com/tprs.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Dick at Frontier Arms here in Cheyenne WY brought down the trigger to 2.5lbs.  It feels great!  I want a Pod loc next for the bipod.  A McMillan A4 stock would be cool to.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually one of those new bolt knobs would be really nice, then a paint job, and then........
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Dark Helmet,
You are missing the point, the scope draws attention away from the rifle. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I wont ask how much the optics were..
Sweet rifle!

Can anyone confirm if the VLS also has a floating barrel (laminate stock). Ive been interested in a 700 and the Rem website confirmed neither.  Thx in advance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet rifle!

Can anyone confirm if the VLS also has a floating barrel (laminate stock)??? Ive been interested in a 700 and the Rem website confirmed neither.  Thx in advance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet rifle!

Can anyone confirm if the VLS also has a floating barrel (laminate stock)??? Ive been interested in a 700 and the Rem website confirmed neither. Thx in advance.

Boom, I have 2 VLS rifles one is a custom 250-3000 and the other is a 7-08. Using the age old method of the folded Dollar bill I can confirm that the barrel is free floated at least to the chamber area.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

that paint job is sounding better and better all the time.  By the way, has anyone painted their rifle and scope?  Also, I got a killer deal on the scope.  $470
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Just as a point of interest, how would you compare this to a 40X. 1967 production BR rifle?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that paint job is sounding better and better all the time.  By the way, has anyone painted their rifle and scope?  Also, I got a killer deal on the scope.  $470

Thank you, Thank you very Much.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds real good schapman43. I live close to OSI, he has painted a couple of his rifles camo. Look pretty good too! FYI, camo colors are available at our local Fred Meyer store (if you have them where you are!) I just picked up a nice win classic mod 70 stainless .308, freefloated from the factory!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top