Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 2:00:32 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting a magazine carry pouch that goes on the stock of an AR. I know alot of you out there like I do, will go get an AR15 out of the safe or whatever just to paw while doing other things like surfing the web. Of course it's always unloaded but I was thinking how I would like to have a loaded mag close by just in case. This is not a discussion on WTSHTF or any of that. Just want to know what you think about these magazine carriers like the one Black Hawk makes. I played around with an improvised method using two cut rubber LBE strips that work pretty darn good. One's around only the mag itself. That provides cushioning and friction to keep it in place. The other is streched over the stock itself and with the friction of the other holds it quite well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a bad idea.  

I don't like the idea of keeping a dedicated pouch on the weapon full time.  For me, that just gets in the way.  I do keep a pouch on the stock of one of my carbines to keep the mag that would go in the weapon if needed.  If that were to happen, the pouch would be removed (quickly) AFTER the magazine was inserted and checked for seating, the charging handle was pulled, the weapon put on safe, the Aimpoint covers flipped up, the Aimpoint turned on, the SF tip off cover flipped down, and the SF activated once (with my head turned away) for a function check.  Damn, I should switch to a simpler setup for "grab and go" (as in go downstairs and investigate).

Your idea is even more elegant because you don't need to yank the pouch off.

IIRC, Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch had an article in a gun-rag that had pictures showing a 30 round magazine rubber banded (Ranger bands or cut up inner tube) underneath the handguards on a carbine.  This was to carry a spare magazine.

Your idea seems just as reasonable.

JAW
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the best one I have ever used or seen. The CHP have them on all/most of their AR's. It holds 2 20 round mags low enough that they do not interfere with proper shooting standing or prone. On 20 inch barreled rifles it does help to balance the rifle. I think Uncle Mikes bought the patent and is making them now.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a pouch on my stock and mag/cinch inserted at all times in the safe. Near 60 rounds when I dig it out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice to see that I am not the only one who plays with an AR while surfing the web.  LOL

I have been thinking about it myself for a while, but I am not too sure yet.  Both of my rifles have retractable stocks, and I just don't know how a pouch will feel on them quite yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Lucky-
Yeah I like that. I'll have to try and find a web site somewhere. I like the Blackhawk stuff too but would rather a stock mounted twenty and they show all thirties.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep the inner-tube bands. You can also put some up on the hand guard for another mag. These work just as well as the pouches and are quieter too (no velcro).
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I found this at another site:

Similar butt-stock/ sling/ mag holder. A 30 rdr is supposed to fit.

www.dsarms.com/ar15_16parts.htm
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Try Tactical tailor, they have it and it is very nicely made.  Also SO tech is another shop that have some very cool gear.

www.specopstech.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
For those of you using Giles Tactical Sling, there is an addition called a GO pack that mounts a mag in the above manner horizontal or vertical on the stock. (the GO pack is an add on to the Giles sling system, ie will not work without it)

They are sharp looking and solid.  I have one.  No regrets.

http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/slings.html

http://www.thewilderness.com/Media/gopack_art2.jpg  

Hope this helps, SDnR ;)
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope I don't hang things off my rifles. Why turn a 6 pound rifle into a 10 pound lazer-flashlight, bottle opener, bi-pod, fake grenade launcher, AM/FM/CD player, dot sight, telescopic sight wearing battle weapon?

My mags are in my LBV where they belong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top