Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 1:36:35 PM EDT

So in my continuing quest to put together my mid ranged A3 carbine I'm pondering free floating the barrel.

Still, I would prefer to keep the cosmetic look of the Shorty intact.

Are there barrel floating tubes that I can keep the look of the Shorty (including the handguards and the front sight post) and get the accuracy of a free float?

Also, it's hard to tell from Bushmaster if their VMatch barrel is any different from the standard Heavy Barrel.  Is there a distinction?  If so is it worth free floating a match 16" barrel?  Seems like it might be.

Any other differences in the VMatch upper?  Or just the barrel?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The Vmatch is just a name Bushmaster gives all their flat top uppers. Nothing special about any of it except for that. Same heavy barrels as all their other rifles. Is it worth free floating? Probably not unless you are going to shoot at great distances and loop up real tight (using the sling as abrace around your arm), but do it if that's the way you want your rifle. I have not seen a CMP free floating handguard for a 16".
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Armalight and Bushmaster has free-float barrel sleeves that can be used with standard issue A2 handguards (modification to handguard required).  Bushmaster offers standard issue style handguards that can used w/o modification. These are for the 20" config though. I have not seen them for 16" configs, I would contact Bushmaster.

Bushmaster gives you the option of the permanant full front site with the 16" VMatch barrel.  Or, you can get it without and opt for the clamp-on front site.

I believe the Bushy heavy barrel in one and the same with the VMatch barrel.  The DCM barrels are different.

You can get a 16" upper from Bushy that uses full length A2 handguards (called the "Dissipator"). You could free-float that using the barrel sleeves mentioned above. This also gives you the same sight radius as the standard A2 config.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There is some other options you may consider: 1) Installing a sling swivel on the free float tube to maximize accuracy potental. This way you do not have the problem with barrel flex with the sling at the front sight swivel. To keep within your requirement for a 16" shorty. 2) Wait until the Knight's free float tube (or similar design) for the carbine is available. At least, you would have additional mounting points for future add ons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top