Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 12:20:43 PM EDT
Several weeks ago I got my first CMP M1 Garand. They are great people to work with and very friendly. My rifle is in beautiful shape, made in 1955, and seen little use.

What is the stamping on the stock, an impression right in the wood? It is an eagle with three stars on top, all surrounded by a border. Somewhat worn away.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the defense acceptance stamp.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Does't this stamp have a name? Starts with a "C"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It's called a "cartouche", if I remember right.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The mark is a final acceptance mark.

Called a cartouche, for some reason, by some collectors.  

This one is the late DOD acceptance mark.  Same thing is on current M16A2, only it's white paint, not stamped into anything.

If you let me (us) know the serial number there's lots of information available on these.  Barrel date is on the barrel in the op rod slot.  Lock it to the rear and look for a data and maker's mark.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Both my Garand and 03A3 have these marks.  The 03A3 has 6 or 7 differenet ones.  Is there a place to find out what they mean?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. I will post the serial number tonight, when I get home.

Looked up cartouche and found this definition:

"A cartouche is a kind of nameplate. Ancient Egyptians used cartouches for kings, queens, and other high-ranking people in the kingdom. A cartouche consists of a number of different hieroglyphic symbols enclosed in a loop. "

Best
Tom
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
A cartouche is any original military DOD stamp markings on the stock.

Good info on M1 Garands below

www.wwa.com/~dvelleux/m1rifle.html
www.jouster.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top