Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 7:37:07 PM EDT
I just spent the last 30 minutes reading through various issue pages from Handgun Control Inc. and I just had to shake my head at some of those distortions from that web site.  

For example, in regards to Assault Weapons, they call them "useless for recreational activities."  Apparently they've never been to an outdoor range on a weekend looking at law-abiding citizens plinking at targets or competing in CMP or NRA sponsored matches.  

Then they go on to quote some unnamed law enforcement official as calling them "as nothing more than 'cop-killer guns.'" Funny, I've just received my Rock River AR-15 and I've not had one thought about hurting a LEO.  (As an aside, since I see many LEO on this web site, why are so many police chiefs so anti-gun??)

They finally go onto say that guns such as my AR-15 "are designed to be spray-fired from the hip and are designed to maximize death and injury from a very rapid rate of fire. Assault weapons are designed with military features such as silencers, folding stocks, flash suppressors, barrel shrouds and bayonets which are ludicrously unsuited for civilian use."

Funny I was planning on putting the stock on my shoulder and aiming at targets 200 yards downrange.  I can't really do that spraying from my hip.  Silencers---nope.  Folding stocks---thought those were illegal.  Bayonet--not on my gun but I do use steak knives at dinner--does that count?

If you want to see the full article its at:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/issuebriefs/assault.asp

That said, other parts of the web site DO make some sense such as trying to curtail the illegal use of straw buyers to get guns into the hands of criminals.  Let me clarify--that is a sensible issue, I just take exception with their one-gun-a-month solution.  I'd say how about 20 years in prison for the criminals and even worse penalties (IE the big death penalty) for these straw buyer masterminds?)  That ought to take a bite out of crime.  

What do you think?

IBM9545
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/matrtstraight.htm

The biggest mistake we make is failing to take the moral high ground on our issue, and letting our enemies define the terms.
THEY SAY: "Those assault rifles have no sporting purpose. You don't need a 30-round magazine for hunting deer -- they're only for killing people."

WE SAY: "I compete in DCM High Power with my AR-15. You need a large-capacity magazine for their course of fire.   My SKS is a fine deer rifle, and I've never done anything to give my government reason not to trust me, blah, blah, blah." (FLAW: You have implicitly conceded that it is OK to ban any gun with no sporting use. And eventually they can replace your sporting arms with arcade-game substitutes.)

WE SHOULD SAY: "Your claim that 'they're only for killing people' is imprecise. A gas chamber or electric chair is designed for killing people, and these devices obviously serve different functions than guns. To be precise, a high capacity military-type rifle or handgun is designed for CONFLICT. When I need to protect myself and my freedom, I want the most reliable, most durable, highest capacity weapon possible. The only thing hunting and target shooting have to do with freedom is that they're good practice."

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
not to be harsh, but i wish someone would kill all those bastards so i didnt have to deal with their shit anymore
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Q-Man:
That is an intelligent, lucid and well thought out argument. It is too bady there is no one sensible enough in the Brady Bunch to understand it!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... (As an aside, since I see many LEO on this web site, why are so many police chiefs so anti-gun??) ...

INALEO (I'm Not A LEO)...
I believe it's because police chiefs aren't cops, they're politicians.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#5]
muzlblast: are you referring to Q-man or Matt??
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I read it & posted about it last week or so. It had more BS than a rodeo. If someone who was ignorant or a novice of firearms I guess they would be horrified if they should read that web site. Of course those that know which end of the tube the rd comes out of become outraged at what's clearly misleading at best & outright lying at worst. But do we really expect different from the Brady Bunch? From what I hear, Sarah is sucking down those cigs like candy & has some health concerns. Here's a toast she croaks very very soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top