Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 9:28:41 AM EDT
Went to wally world for some rock salt and as I walked past the gun racks this wee little gun caught my eye.It was a little 22 named the Davey Crickett,reminded me of the day my Dad gave me my cut down springfield,now that it is now passed on to my brothers kids thought this might be the thing to pass on to my boys.When I walked in the door all eyes grew when I gave him the rifle I truly felt proud I know it only cost $89.00 but to him it didn't matter I was pass on to him a memory that will last a life time.Now only to get my wife to understand that are 5 year old is old enough,his out grown the red riaders enaccuracy already.sorry for the novel bot hand to let the wrold know the shooting family has another member
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My son is about to turn 3 and has already talking about shooting one with mom and myself.
My daughter will be 6 in a couple of months and is showing interest also.
I will not force shooting on them but I feel they will inherit my love for shooting sports and possible hunting.
I have not heard of a "Davy Cricket" rifle is it a single shot?
I have seen a "Chipmunk" .22 rifle and they start at around $150. They are single shot bolt actions that look very well made.

I would prefer them to start on a single shot over an automatic just for the safety aspect of it. I started with a pump .22 rifle but my "First" gun was a H&R Topper Jr model 20 gauge single shot shotgun.

Oh how the memories are coming back!

Enjoy the moments of bonding between a dad and a son!
Nothing is more important to the future of the USA than to teach our kids (And other kids) the importance of guns to our freedom!
If there was no 2nd Amendment then there would be no 1st,3rd,4th...etc.
I hope you and your son have many years of good shooting!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my first rifle when I was five also.  It was a Chipmunk .22.  I still have it.  Great little shooter.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
YES the Crickett is a single shot bolt action its well made and accurate for its size as I learned yesterday,shooting out a 3 inch shot n see at 25 yards,he loves.it has a saftey lock built in to the stock when you push it in the bolt can not shut nor can ammo be loaded intel mom or pop unlocks it.Reactive targets keeps things going and faces smiling clay birds ballons (with bird shot shells for the young ones).Happy to say my son age 5 and my daughter age 6,practice safe firearm handeling skills better than some of us range rats,I belive  every child should have the chance to pursue the hunting and shoting sports for with out new hunters or shooters the sport of hunting and shooting is going to drift into history.Besides the time you spend passing down the skills and knowledge is bonding time one will never forget and no TV or computer game can take its place.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
 Lil' Ops got his Davy Crickett at age 4.  It has the laminated stock, and we added sling swivels.  He shot a 68 out of 100 on his firs postal match.  He is safer than most of us in gunhandling and now wants a pre-ban AR (at 6) so he can collapse the stock enough for proper pull.
 Children are NEVER too young to learn safe and effective weapons handling.  The only difference is they need less supervision. Lil' Ops is allowed out by himself with his Crickett, even nailed a groundhog with it.
 Teach your son to fear God, shoot straight, and speak the truth.  If he masters these things he has truly mastered himself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Crickett is definately a nice little gun for a starter, I think they are made in Milton PA which is not too far from here.  My boy  doesn't know it yet, but there is a black/grey laminated one sitting at the shop for his 4th b-day....
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I plan on getting my son one for his B-day in June. He will be the ripe old age of 7 then. He has been burning up the Red Ryder, so I think he is ready. I don't think age has anything to do with it. You have to base your descision on your instincts of him. Only you will realy know if he is trully ready.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
We're planning to hold a children's shooting clinic at the Black Rifle Convention.  An opportunity to teach your sons and daughters safe and effective weapons handling.

If you're interested or want to help please let me know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no way he is too young. I started my bro-in-law and 1st grader nephew this year.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=70999

They had so much fun together I KNEW what I had to do. So....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81985
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top