Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 2:52:36 PM EDT

How about it, if you could, which subgun would you own?

I would have to go for a UMP40 or 45, preferably both. Not bad at $850, but that is for LEO's, God only knows what it would cost me, not like it is something I have to worry about.

www.hkpro.com/ump.htm
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've played with and fired the UMP and was not impressed at all. Whatever the goal was they failed. The original MP5 is superior IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought the P-90 was cool. 50 round magazine on top and a newly designed cartridge that can penetrate armored material very well.
Ammo is only available to LEO's though, so no fun for a civilian...

www.fnmfg.com/products/p90/p90.htm

http://www.fnmfg.com/products/p90/Image2.gif
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
H&K G36K or G36C model. These seem to be the ticket. Very reliable and accurate. I held a std. G36 and it was nicely designed & ergonomically good.

To bad I'm a peon
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I fired a UMP45 this past summer.  I heard the cyclic rate was pretty slow, but I wasn't expecting it to be below 600rpm, which I think it was well below.  I can quite honestly triple tap my Colt Match Target with its no-slack easy-break trigger much faster than the UMP can let off a three round burst.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The UMP is 600rpm and the MP5 is 800rpm.
Just out of curiosity, how is it that you guys have gotten to play with such lovely toys? And what exactly didn't you like about them? I think I would like the G36K more than both the standard G36 and the G36C.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I fired the G36 at the Firing Line in Athens, GA in '98.  LEO had it purchased for his dept (figures) and was kind enough to let me try it out.  Very nice, very light, and very controllable.  He had the HK mag well on it, while I would have gone with the M16 mag well.  Then again, no one asked me.  Not then, and not in '86.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
OK Buck Rogers, & Spock...

I'd have to get a Thompson M1A1. I just love that heavy machined steel.

Though I always thought the M3A1 Grease Gun was a nearly ideal model for the unwashed masses, such as myself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Ever seen "Air America"?

Uzi, never leave home without it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
id rather have a mini assault rifle.
ie a krink or a short barreled m16

we dont need no special AP ammo
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Although outdated by todays standards, I do find that wrapping by hands around the forward and rear pistol grips on my Thompson 1928A1 and letting some bursts go is quite a high.
Tuco
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'm a traditionalist too, give me the UZI.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
It's gotta be MP5 for me!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always had a thing for the MP-40.  Then again a 1928 Tommy gun (horizontal front grip and cutts compensator) would also be nice.  I guess I'm just nostalgic.

By the way HighCaliber, as long as you are in the USA, you CAN'T have one of those UMP subguns.  Seeing as how none were made prior to May '86 they are all dealer sample / govt. guns.  As far as LEOs are concerned, if we want our own, we go by the same rules as everyone else.  They have to be fully transferrable, we have to get signatures (not as "automatic" as some like to think) pay the same amount of tax, and suffer the same excruciating wait for our backgrounds to be checked.  Sure a precious few departments will buy subguns and C3 stuff, but what they give they can take.  I prefer to pay the price for admission and own all my equipment.  My wife, on the other hand, wishes everything was issued.  Can you imagine how many shoes she could buy in lieu of a Vollmer MP5A3???

God I wish I could have seen into the future prior to 1986!

Saleen
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Add a Gemtech suppressor to that thing and Rock on. My list in no particular order.

1) FN P90
2) Colt M16 with a Gemtech Talon Suppressed 9mm upper
3) MP5 with a Surefire fore-end and collapsible stock (a always loved how those looked.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]

The MP5 is very nice, of course I would need one to go with the UMP. No collection would be complete without one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Only subgun I shot so far is Uzi and MP5 9mm.  I would go with MP5, sweetest gun I've ever shot.  If you happen to be in Vegas, give "The Gun Store" a visit.  They have couple subguns in stock for you to try out.  
<A href="http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com"> the gun store</A>
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm...hyperlink thingy ain't working.... Sorry :(
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#18]
snypah

here ya go

www.thegunstorelasvegas.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top