Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 1:09:43 PM EDT
http://www.mitchellsales.com/

What does everyone think of these guns?  I was thinking about picking up a "Standard Grade" for $225.  The price seems pretty decent.

Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just seen a thread about them in the Mauser forum.

www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=6&TID=5093&SID=813018

OSA
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Their ads are attractive but the rifles are way over priced.

I've bought 8 M48s in the last 12 months and each has been in like new condition. The most I've paid is $179.00, usually less.

My .02...

Buy the best that you can find, usually advertised in like new condition. Then buy a can of lemon scented oven cleaner and 2 cans pf carb cleaner. Clean the bad boy up and invest in a tru oil stock refurb kit.
I believe that Culvers has an excellent link for cleaning up cosmolined rifles.

You'll end up with a rifle that rivals anything that Mitchell is selling for about half of the price.

Take some of the left over cash and buy a few thousand rounds of 8mm ammo and some pine wood to build a box for the rifle.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Way overpriced, earlier this summer coles dist. was selling them (same thing as mitchell's) for $99.00, Aim inc (www.aimsurplus.com) has a shooters grade, matching bolt&receiver,(everything else,stock floorplate,etc, mismatched) for $109.00 if you're looking for a good shooter, all matching will cost $150.00 (I think,I quoting from memory) It pays to shop around,Mitchell's Mausers preys on people who don't know much about surplus rifles and their prices, so they screw'em good, because when these people find out, (and they usually do) how bad they've been screwed, they'll never buy from them again
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.  When in doubt, ask the experts at AR15.com!  That's what I always say.

I didn't see the rifles at aimsurplus.  Do you have a web site for Coles?

The Mitchell price includes the rifles with all accessories including bayonet, sling, ammo pouches, cleaning kits, etc.  Do the other sources you speak of also have all those items?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen one up close at my FFL, he has ordered 3 already.  You are paying a premumim for the rifle, but, and this is a big ass one, the damm thing is PERFECT.  Teak stock, 100% blueing.  SWEET example of a mauser.  
I got excited holding it, it was nice, something too nice to shoot, I would hang it over the fireplace, feel too bad shooting it.
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
soylentgreen,
I can't get on Aim's site either, must be down anyway, get a copy of shotgun news, and look in there, or go to www.gunboards.com and get on the mauser forum, and ask for Coles url, and who has the best deal on m-48's, they'll be happy to help you out,as far as the accessories that come with the m-48's go,I've had 2 in the past year and half, the first m-48 I had (which I later sold) rifle looked like it was made yesterday, the accessories looked like they were drug through W.W.2!(pretty much junk) the next one I bought, stock showed some wear, but the accessories were MUCH better, (bayo,Leather ammo boxes, looks like new)the accessories are pretty much a dice throw,usually, most places throw in the accessories with the rifle, but don't hold your breath that they will be that nice,most have been used, some, WELL used, Me, I don't really care about the accessories that much,and really, they're not worth that much,Also check out Samco Global Arms,www.samcoglobal.com I bought a Persian contract rifle (made by CZ,in 1930) for $250.00 about 2years ago, it came with a MATCHING bayo, that looks like it was never used, the rifle is about the same, (Bore looks like a mirror,) has about 95% of the blue on it and a couple of minor dings in the stock, but Well worth the money spent.    
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Good guns, but you will pay, prolly too much.

for more info,

you try

www.milsurpshooter.net

If you are looking for a deal, bad idea.  If you want a nice gun, and not really looking for a deal, then it will do you fine.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have seen one up close at my FFL, he has ordered 3 already.  You are paying a premumim for the rifle, but, and this is a big ass one, the damm thing is PERFECT.  Teak stock, 100% blueing.  SWEET example of a mauser.  
I got excited holding it, it was nice, something too nice to shoot, I would hang it over the fireplace, feel too bad shooting it.
c-rock

Thanks again everybody for the information.  I really appriciate it.

C-rock, I'm looking at the so-called "Standard Grade", not the premium grades.  I want a nice rifle, but I definetely want to shoot it.  Do you know which grades your FFL had come through?  I don't want something that is too pristine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw the one that goes for around $300, before the FFL fees. It was PERFECT.  That is about the best explaination I can give.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top