Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2002 7:49:33 AM EDT
Ok, so I already have an SR-85B on preorder from Tenn. guns, but they keep pushing back the ship date(its been 5 weeks now).  Price is $469 for what is possibly the finest postban AK ever.  
But, I happen to stop into a local gun store the other day that has an IAI M444 FAL for $749.  This rifle is sooo pretty.

Here is my collection:
 1.Bushy shorty AK
 2.SAR-2
 3.Spanish Mauser FR-8
 4.10/22

SSR-85B
1.great price
2.very limited production rifle
3.already bought 6 AK mags!

FAL
1.need a MBR in my collection
2.great price around these parts
3.the AK may never come in anyway!!!

What would you do? Oh ya, I can't buy both and won't be able to afford another rifle until summer at least.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
get the AK. The FALs will be around for a while. On the other hand, the SA-M7 AK rifle will likely be around for some time as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what you're financial condition is,i.e. if you have the spot cash for the more expensive FAL gun, go for that because it would be harder to save for it later, and also you don't have one.  Otherwise if you have to pile on some hard to pay off credit card debt, go with the cheapper AK.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I am somewhat leaning toward the advice of warlord. Here are some more factors:
1. Heard rumors all the SSR-85Bs are gone and IF I actually get one it will have an American receiver, not the Hungarian FEG
2. I'm full time in college, only income is National Guard and ROTC checks(which aint to shabby). So, no rifles for awhile except maybe a surplus bolt action.

I can afford the FAL...barely.  It would be awhile before I stockpile mags,ammo,etc.

Boy this is a tuff one. I'm gonna call Global and ask about those rumors.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Well the American reciever thing was false. Global just got a new shipment.  They're test firing 100 rifles tomorrow.  Still, that FAL is just up the road...it is calling for me...aaarrrgghh!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The M444 is a killer rifle and with FAL metric mags for $5.00 a pop things even out a bit. I say get the FAL first since good ones "locally" are HARD to find....most are the century arms made L1A1 junk. There is no subsitute for handling the FAL before buying it and looking it over! I WISH I had YOUR problem.....I am calling all over trying to find an M444! Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Kiesler's has M-444s for $679. Been thinking about getting one myself.
They're in their SGN ad. Can't seem to pull them up on the website, though.  www.kieslersonline.com

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
After much deliberation, I went out and got the FAL.  Looks real nice.  I'll probably never see another SSR-85 for under $500 though. I'll probably just look for an SLR some time to use with the 6 AK mags I already bought!  My collection is more well rounded now with a .308 battle rifle. No regrets here.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome. Let us know which you bought and how it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks like you already bought the FAL.  I have two FALs and four AKs.  In my opinion:

1.  One AK is enought unless you are into serious collecting.

2.  The FALs are OK... but

3.  It would be much better to save up you money and buy a standard M1A1.  Now that I have mine I'll most likely get rid of my FALs.  The M1A1 is far more reliable and more accurate than the Euro gun.  There good reasons the U.S. went with the M-14 instead of the FAL.

Have fun with your FAL.  I sure did when I first got mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top