Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2002 2:21:58 PM EDT
Cost and time issues aside, what do you guys think of completely coating the internal components of an AR15 (bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle, and interior of the upper receiver) in Robar's NP3 nickel / Teflon metal finish?

Seems to me it might speed up cleaning time, decrease wear, eliminate or at least minimize the need for lubrication, offer superior resistance to corrosion, and improve reliability under harsh conditions.
Sounds like just the ticket for sandy, gritty environments!

Anyone out there have experience with this "wonder finish"?   What do you think?

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
he he he.

That reminds me of when I took some of that Brownell's Action Magic (a pseudo permanent moly compound) and assiduously doped up the internals of my AR. Immediately after the first shooting session, my Marine buddy went to work showing me how to break the rifle down to clean it, and completely removed the Action Magic. That stuff was a waste of $16.  

Obviously the NP3 would be more durable, and it couldn't hurt and it sure would slick up the action.  I think, however, your return on investment may well be unnoticed and that it's a solution to a non-existent problem.  With respect to the aluminum parts, I think that you could enjoy similar benefits with one of those "phenolic bake-on" sprays that you can get from Brownells.  

Thing is, unless there's somewhere for the grit to go, if tolerances are tight, it is going to stay in and carve stuff up. If your coefficient of friction is smaller that's great, but the grit is going to muck stuff up. It is clear from the knife industry that there are no super abrasion resistant finishes.  They all wear, chip or flake off at some point

On the outside of the AR, it'd sure be interesting looking.  

Also, remember that NP3 is teflon imbedded in a Nickel base, right?  PTFE starts breaking down at around 600F, so in rapid fire, that may become an issue for all you blasters.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Any other opinions?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
i've got NP3 on an old Caspian framed single stack race gun....it looks the same today as it did when i had it done 10-15 years ago....NP3 is some tough stuff---the only problem i had with it is on the reverse plug recoil spring--it started comming off--i sent i back and they recoated/plated or whatever it is....After a while it started comming off again.....since it didn't impair the function or appearance i just said to hell with it and am shooting it to this day.....i would have another gun done with it in a minute......If you're really wanting something that looks good and is tough as hell why not get some of that gold titanium nitride on the parts...it stays on drill bits.....Dick
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It doesnt get any tougher than NP3...had my SIGP220 done in it...they would only do the slide as it builds up a bit thicker than teflon/moly...I had two gripes..1. it is a little too shiny for my tastes (not much but just a tad) 2. wanted to get some work done on it later and the smith I wanted to do the work wouldnt/couldnt touch it do to the NP3 internals...I would stick to the molys if I had it to do over again.. however it you want the toughest finish out side of chrome Id say this is it...imo
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]

As the only respondent who actually has experience with an AR-15 (Bushmaster preban) coated with NP-3 internals (everything), let me inform you.

It is worth the investment!!

A: It is much easier to clean (wipe off carbon residue with a rag).  You can even rinse it off in water and then dry it off.

B: The AR does not require lubing.

C: It is highly resistant to corrosion.

D: My rifle is eight years old and the internals are still in new condition!  It is a sight to behold.

My AR has had everything done to it by Robar.  I also had a woodland camo finish applied to the rifle.  The rifle looks new on the outside also.  The only wear to the camo finish is the area at the back of the lower receiver where the cocking handle contacts the receiver.

Go for it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply Thunder Stick.

Any chance you could post some pictures of your Robar enhanced Bushmaster???

Sounds like a gem!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top