Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 12:27:30 PM EDT
What do y'all think?? I know the .308 round is good for deer, but is the FAL too heavy to go traipsing through the woods with?

TIA

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that would all depend on you. There are armies across the world that make their troops go traipsing through the woods everyday with their FAL's, so obviously it can be done. The question is, do you want to do it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I used my M14 one weekend this season, but didn't see any deer..Damn
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]

I killed a few deer with my scoped HK 91 some time ago.  It can't be much heavier than that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Most FALS run around 9lbs. Sounds like you're going to get a good work out to me.

themao
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be fine except in dense underbrush, where the weight becomes less of a problem than the length.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
heh........if u ain't gotta go far to the stand!i tried it,not something i would wanna carry very far!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a jungle sling from Cabela's on my M1A and it distributes the weight really well for hunting.

My hunting style is to go on stand in the morning and then stalk the rest of the day.

The jungle sling is also a good way to protect your scope, since it puts the gun on your chest instead of your back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
an fal ain't all that heavy.  i have wondered the woods/deserts of new mexico with mine and am still here.  my scoped ruger m77 7 mag isn't much lighter and still easily managable.  if the weight of an fal is enough to kick you ass maybe you should stay home and cook taters and leave the hunting to the more stout of constitution.  
as a side note, my friend's 9 year old daughter ripped off 20 rounds from my fal not long ago and had no complaints.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
my brother carried his ar10 with clips, scope, knife, web gear, 4 canteens for four days of hunting, and didnt complain, he was tired as hell but didnt say a word......he didnt get anytihng though....
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Weight is really overrated.  I ran five miles with a Garand about a month ago; I wasn't allowed to use a sling, either.  A FAL is a bit lighter than an M1, and I doubt you'll have to do that much running, if any.  Plus you can use a sling!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
On a hunt in Alaska I traipsed down a hill and back up it after a moose. 1 mile round trip. The wait of the gun never bothered me. A .375 Holland and Holland, sako L61R with 1.5x5 scope. I carried 60 rounds with me. No Sling. My greatest fear is running out of ammo. Not that I'm a horrible shot, but the ethics of it. Once you shoot that moose you don't stop shooting 'till its dead, no matter how far it runs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, if you build the FAL yourself, then you can get the weight down to 7.5 pounds pretty eaasily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top