Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 12:29:14 AM EDT
hat. The one of most import would be my pre-ban Bushmaster, s/n L050269. If anyone has info regarding the whereabouts of this lower receiver, please give me a buzz. Thanks and God Bless America
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
That bastard.  I hope you personally find him so you can find out if that bushy fits in every orifice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. That has to be one of the worst feelings and I hope I never have to experience it myself. As brouhaha said, I hope you find him to. The sad thing is that most of the time in these cases it is always someone the victim knows that does this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, at least you don't sound too distraught. I would be frantic. Chances are it was someone who has been to your apartment before, or at least someone that heard about your firearms from someone who had been there. Good luck and I hope you get them back.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed on the suspects.
Look at family, friends, buds who who been in the house and service techs.
It was one of them who set you up 80ish% of the time, and 15ish% one of them talked and let the cat out of the bag.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That absolutely sucks man. We can only hope the stupid F*** shoots himself. Thats got to be one of my worst fears. Lately i've been hiding some, and keeping others in a safe.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the support, folks. Funny thing though....they left approx. 1k rounds of 5.56mm ammo in stripper clips and 30rd. magazines (some still in the package) untouched. Go figure[:\].
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]

That really sucks. Don't you just want to knee-cap that @#$%er?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Warthog86, Sorry to hear about your lose.

Hopefully your covered for full vaule to replace them. Also, keep in mind that if they broke in once, that they might return to steal the replacement one's.

My thoughts would to be to start the new collection off with a safe, then buy the new weapons.  Last time I checked you could buy a Browning model for less that $1000.  That way if they try to steal them agian, It will take a cutting tourch or C-4.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Not to throw fuel on the fire but what happens if you don't find these?

Living in CA I'm assuming you can't legally replace them?  Is that right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The one of most import would be my pre-ban Bushmaster, s/n L050269.

Make sure your serial #'s get put into the national stolen firearms database. That way, if a gun ever gets traded in to a dealer, it'll pop up as stolen. Sorry for your losses.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Well at least you had the serial number for the Police to put on the Incident Report and now it can be entered into NCIC as stolen and you may see your gun again someday. Far to many gun owners just sit there with a blank look on their faces, when we ask them for serial numbers, makes, models etc. Put an ID number on everthing that you own, that doesn't already have a serial number, use your social security number as your ID number.

7th
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Dealers have no access to any national stolen firearms database. That would be a law enforcement function. We can't tell if a firearm is stolen any more than the guy on the street can.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#13]
the worst part is that you cannot buy another unlees you move out of state.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Dealers may not .... but PAWN shops have to record all serial numbers of any stuff incoming...
Most of the reputable (and there are some) PAWN shops will not take an item that has a serial number damaged to obstruct it...
Now here in Utah, the PAWN shop takes and records the incoming serial number. At the end of every week the local law picks up those records and checks all serial numbers with those that were reported stolen across the country and reported on NCIC. The PAWN shop of course can not sell anything for 30 days, so this gives the law a chance to apprehend the pawner of the stolen item.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dealers have no access to any national stolen firearms database. That would be a law enforcement function. We can't tell if a firearm is stolen any more than the guy on the street can.

You can call the cops and ask them, thats what my dealer does, and yes some turn up stolen.
GG
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#16]
To revcover your weapon(s), you will have to take an active role.  Trying ANYTHING is better than nothing.

You may want to consider a mass mailing to all gun shops within a 50 mile radius of your residence identifying your weapons.  Many gun shop ownwers know what its like to be in your shoes.  If they don't at least end up with your weapon(s), they may provide leads to LE who had or has one or more of them.

Systematically visit pawn shops within 50 miles of your residence and "look around", should you spot something, call LE immediately.

Check the "for sale adds" in the news papers and small advertisers common to your area.  Look for ads that sound like your weapon(s).

I know this sounds like a lot of work, so get your family and/or friends to help.  TRYING ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you even replace it if you live in CA?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Again, thanks for all of your support. GSTN & KCBOOMER,you are correct. By CA law, I cannot buy another 'assault weapon'. However, if it weren't used in a crime, I would be able to recover my property. When I talked to my local gun dealer (from whom I bought most of my guns), he had the serial nos. already on file. I'm not sure if the s/n's of consignment/for sale by private owner guns are checked by the local LE. In any case, I wish you all a prosperous and safe New Year!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry about that- that AR is irreplaceable unless you move out of state.  

How did this happen?  Were they locked up?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#20]
All of my guns were locked in their respective cases, the handguns had trigger locks as well. However, I don't own a safe and due to a short notice deployment (USAFR), I didn't have time to transport them to a safe location. I will buy a safe before I rebuild my collection (minus any banned weapons). Hmmmmm....an M1A Scout w/synthetic stock might just fit the bill.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I really hope you recover them, and wish you the best of luck on that.  I also see you're planning on buying a safe, and am VERY glad about that.  

My worst fear as a gun-owner is that someone would use one of my guns to hurt somebody.  I think it is my primary responsibility to keep them secure and out of the wrong hands, and believe every gun owner should have a safe.

Let us know how it turns out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top