BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2001 2:27:56 PM EDT
I just got finished cleaning my baby.
DAMN ! I Love this rifle.
Took some new pics.
I got this back when they were $275 without wood, bought the walnut for $50 at a local gunshow.
This is the best $325 I've ever spent.
Get your CMP Garand !
www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of art.  I envy you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
They are 425 now without the wood, in service grade.  What is the difference between those and the danish service grade?  Can't wait to  get my hands on one of those babies, since I am already qualified to get one (didn't know that till I just checked- thanks!).
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yours looks very nice.. where can you get one without beeing in the CMP?

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful rifle Derek.

A Danish rifle will be one rebuilt after the war by the Danes with a USGI receiver and a mixture of GI, Danish, Italian and maybe German parts and or stock. The stigma is that their not "USGI" rifles. Though their built every bit as good and are excellent shooters.

Only way to get one this nice is to find one at a gunshow and pay a premium for it. Unless you stumble into a neighbor or uncle who will sell cheap. Seriously, look into the CMP program. It's the best way to get one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
you just gave me a very good reason to join the CMP...

must...have...one...
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yours looks very nice.. where can you get one without beeing in the CMP?

Go to the link above, it's pretty easy to get one from the CMP. Stay away from the commercial copies! They are junk.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Good Lord!
That's nice.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
H&R?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with CMP is not only have they jacked up the prices ive heard (and seen) the most horrific collectors stories. You go and pay 500+ dollars to buy your self a service grade rifle usually meaning its dinged up a little bit with some parkerizing wear. The mainstay of a garand collector is matching numbers and i have seen a service grade with only 2 thats right TWO matching parts and it came with a 5 rated barrel. Its like a blind lottery where they draw rifles at random. So if you would take your chance i say go for it but lately to many's dismay CMP is churning out bad weapons by the pallete. They are also a pain to work with because you have to fill out form after form as well as abominably slow service. My overall experience with CMP is less than satisfactory
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes mine was a little dinged up but I'm not worried about it.Lookes pretty good for a 1942 mod.I wanted a shooter not a wall hanger.As far as severice goes,got mine 2 wks after the papers were sent.And it had no problems,but if it did, I know where to go to get them fixed.As for the numbers matching,most don't because almost all have been rebuilt several times.But every dealer at the FUN SHOW'S have all matching number guns.I ask you how is this? - Can you say fake..... Sure you can!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok now here is the BIG question!!

How can your great northern friends ( aka Canadians) get in on this program???

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Man that thing looks dry!  How bout some plastilube grease in that reciever?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Stormbringer,

As far as I know, the Civilian Marksmanship Program is only for our brothers to the South.

However, there are quite a few decent M1 Garands north of the 49th.  I know that Marstar recently had some and they show up at gun shows all of the time.  You can also see them on GunsCanada.com from time to time.  I saw a couple in Edmonton at MilArm and Klondike Arms when I was there a month or so ago.

FYI, John Garand was a Canadian!

Good luck in your search.  They really are great rifles and a blast to shoot.  I have a beat up old 1943 Winchester and love it!

Scott
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The problem with CMP is not only have they jacked up the prices ive heard (and seen) the most horrific collectors stories. You go and pay 500+ dollars to buy your self a service grade rifle usually meaning its dinged up a little bit with some parkerizing wear.

No intended flame or anything, but the reason that CMP has had to raised the prices, is that they are under U.S. Congressional mandate to be self-sustaining, i.e. they must make money to cover the cost of their operation without govt help; otherwise if Sens Chuck Schumer & Diane Fienstein had it their way, CMP would be closed down and out of business.  I understand these 2 DEMOCRATS tried to shut down the old DCM program claiming that DCM was an extension of the NRA, which is how DCM besically became CMP.

I believe the CMP has never advertised the M1s as being in the box new, but everything is sold as is. I think a few slight dings and dents, and a scratch here and there is part of the mystic.  From what I understand, those CMP folks just take it off the pallet and send it on its way to the new owner; so like you say, the chances of you getting an unblemished rifle is pretty a luck of the draw. But they far better than any current production ones, and a lot better than the re-imports that used to be allowed back into the USA. I think this a good policy that is fair to everyone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You got to love the them M1's
I got my M1 through CMP aprox 8 yrs
agoe when thay cost $185.00
came from Andson depot us mail.
My brother and I got ours at the same time
he got a Winchester allmost new.
I got a H&R all matching but the triger group.
last summer I got a near new triger group to match. and what a great gun to soot cant wait till this next shootin season to try it @ 600.
I hope you have as much fun as I do shooting the old war horse.
Regards: Paul
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
OT: FYI - For those folks getting DCM/CMP Grarands & firearms, I was advised to that it is a very good idea to save any paper work that accompanied your rifle, it will be the only proof that it was a genuine USGI DCM/CMP.  I myself also saved the box, but I am not what that will accomplish.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OT: FYI - For those folks getting DCM/CMP Grarands & firearms, I was advised to that it is a very good idea to save any paper work that accompanied your rifle, it will be the only proof that it was a genuine USGI DCM/CMP.  I myself also saved the box, but I am not what that will accomplish.

Saving the box it came with adds to the resale value of the rifle.
A "Danish" is an M-1 that was loaned to the Danes in the early '50s, and then returned by the Danes throughout the '60s. They're usaually in much better shape than the regular "service grade." The Danes rebarreled and rebuilt the guns they had before sending them back. I have 2 Danes, one with a 1966 barrel that gauged at less than One and the other is a 1957 barrel that guaged at less than 2.
Also, you can have a FFL get an M-1 from the CMP if you don't want to join am afflilated CMP Rifle Club.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Just one last thing about matching numbers. The numbers on the receivers were assigned by the Gov't during production. The numbers stamped onthe individual parts were created by the individual manufacturers. For the numbers to "match," these pieces would have to have been produced within 3 months of each other. You'll need a list of all serial numbered parts an then you'll have to look up the production dates to see if they "match."
If you're in to that kind of FUN, www.jouster.com has charts and links to more charts to help.

Happy New Year
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I just received my first two CMP Garands earlier in December.  They were both service grade; one was a '42 Springfield which was a little dinged up, and the other was a H&R in the 5,000,000 range that looked practically unshot.

Both of them are in better shape than my beater M1 that I'd bought a couple years ago.  When my only choices around here are M1s of questionable provenance going for $800 apiece, or the CAI junk going for $500, the CMP is the best deal going.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I got me a hankering for one of these bad... since I tried the demo version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault.  I've always wanted a Garand, but now it's burnin me up!  I'm gonna have to join a local CMP affiliated club and shoot in a couple matches, then in a few months I should be qualified for the CMP purchase.  I figure I'll get a Danish, as I just want a shooter.  Condition of the stock don't matter, I'll get a new walnut stock anyway.

M@
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my CMP Service Grade Garand about 3 weeks ago..after about a 3 week wait for paperwork checks.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the box.

1943 Springfield Receiver with matching 1943 Springfiled Barrel...throated with a #2 tag, and a somewhat dinged "Tiger Striped" stock!

Looks incredible....though the stock has no cartouches..which is probably why it's a service grade and not a "collecter" for double the price.

Shoots fine out of the box, and with 49 year old surplus m-2 ball....it's capable of 1-moa benchrested groups.

The CMP did fine by me, and they answered every question I e-mailed them both before and after my purchase.

They shipped directly to my home with overnight Fed-ex delivery..not bad for their $19 shipping charge!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]
ive had very good experience with the cmp
i just wish i had done it a lot sooner
the only part i hated was the long waite

about 3 or so years ago i sent out for one of the collector grade guns at 700.00

what i got was a completey correct and properly cartouched 11-53 manufactured H&R low 4701xxx garand (according to scott duff's book)
with just two storage dings from another rifles rear sight knobs.
that i could easily sell for 1k

if i could figure out how to post a good sized pic of it id show yaz

you get what you pay for through the cmp

and i still have the box and all the paper work like a good collector should
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I got me a hankering for one of these bad... since I tried the demo version of Medal of Honor Allied Assault.  I've always wanted a Garand, but now it's burnin me up!  I'm gonna have to join a local CMP affiliated club and shoot in a couple matches, then in a few months I should be qualified for the CMP purchase.  I figure I'll get a Danish, as I just want a shooter.  Condition of the stock don't matter, I'll get a new walnut stock anyway.

M@

Actually, you need only finish a single match safely to be qualified to purchase as long as you're a US citizen and you can purchase guns. They go through NICS to check.
Here's a link that lists affiliated clubs:www.odcmp.com/Services/Clubs/CLUB_LIST.htm
Shooting in the matches is a blast. It's also addictive. You want to beat your last score. It's also humbling at times.
Happy New Year
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
What a nice Garand, I have three one of which is a WW-2, DCM that I paid $167.00 for about 10 years ago.

I also have my Dads Korean War vintage IHC, which I just had rebarreld, I have been looking for many years, for the proper LMR barrerl and found one about a month ago and had it installed. That was $200.00 bucks well spent.

I also have a Blue Sky Korean War era send back that needed a barrel. I had it rebarreled and a new op rod spring installed and it's now good to go too. About ten years ago when I had it rebarrled, it only cost $100.00 (installed) for a proper Springfield barrel.

7th
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Actually, you need only finish a single match safely to be qualified to purchase as long as you're a US citizen and you can purchase guns. They go through NICS to check.
Here's a link that lists affiliated clubs:www.odcmp.com/Services/Clubs/CLUB_LIST.htm
Shooting in the matches is a blast. It's also addictive. You want to beat your last score. It's also humbling at times.
Happy New Year

So, you DO have to be a member of a club, but shoot only ONE match?  That's what I had gathered before.  I want to shoot in matches, and that's basically why I built my AR in the first place, so it will all work out good IMHO.  :)

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#26]

So, you DO have to be a member of a club, but shoot only ONE match?  That's what I had gathered before.  I want to shoot in matches, and that's basically why I built my AR in the first place, so it will all work out good IMHO.  :)

Joining a state rifle association, qualifies as joining a club. It can even be a different state than the one you are living in !
Mine is $20 a year.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Why do you think I have such a big grin on my face?  

Haven't I seen you shoot that M1 full auto???
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
you guys and your garands, dont you know those are designed to be "spray-fired from the hip to inflict the largest amount of death and injury with a high rate of fire"

-libral pussy mode off-

sorry about that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a CMP Garand about four years ago.  It's a Springfield and banged up a bit, but a lot nicer than most you see and the price was right.  Besides, what's cooler, particularly these days, than having the U.S. Army send you a rifle?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#31]
It seems like I heard once that if you are a vet, you don't have to join anything.  Just send in your money, their form, and a DD214 and you are on your way.  Is that correct?

I have three Garands right now, none CMP, although I have been thinking about getting one of theirs.  One I got has a 42 Springfield reciever with a match barrel and op rod, good shooter but no collector's value.  One is all GI, but not matching dates on the reciever and barrel.  The other has matching years at least on the reciever and barrel, but I am not sure how original it all is.  For the life of me, I suddenly can't remember where I got the 2 GI rifles.  I have lost it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Derek45, nice finish on that receiver.  My nephew is still trying to get an M1 from the Garand Retention Program (aka CMP).  They really don't like to part with the rifles.  I don't understand how, if they're supposed to be self-sustaining, that they seem so determined to not sell one.  I feel bad, because last spring, I spent a lot of time talking him into wanting one.  Now after shooting in a couple of matches, joining the Garand Collectors Association, and taking an NRA approved class (to meet the shooting requirements 3x over), they still won't budge.  A friend of mine, who wants an 03 drill rifle like he carried in four years of ROTC, wrote a nasty letter to them and CC'd it to the two senators from this state.  That's the type of thing the CMP really needs to avoid, because if the politicians meddle with the program, they'll probably mess it up.z
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Derek45,... (aka CMP).  They really don't like to part with the rifles.  I don't understand how, if they're supposed to be self-sustaining, that they seem so determined to not sell one.  ...they still won't budge.

I don't know what you're talking about, all I did was fill out the paperwork, include a copy of my DD214 (non veterans use a scoresheet)My state Rifle association, and Credit Card number.

A few weeks later, FED-EX bangs on My door with a REAL USGI M1 garand.
It's easy guys ! ! get yours before the Govt. cutting torch does ! !
www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#35]
check out dereks post count, god im a retard
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#36]

my DD214

My nephew has sent-in the paperwork three times.  When I've asked for help here before, several members suggested I do a "straw purchase" by sending-in my DD214 to buy the rifle for him (assuming I could find it, I don't think I've seen my discharge paperwork in over 40 years).  That's a felony, but with the easy process you describe, it sounds tempting.  I'm still not going to do it, because risking a felony conviction isn't worth it for just an M1.  My nephew already bought the parts kit, refinished a used stock, and has a nice 7.62 NATO barrel waiting on a receiver.  That's why he and his wife are mad at me for wasting their money and time on something, that so far, was a waste.

get yours before the Govt. cutting torch does ! !

You're scaring me now.  The thought of someone cutting-up M1's makes my vision narrow and my bood pressure rise.  That's just wrong.z
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#37]
(double-tap)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#38]

My nephew has sent-in the paperwork three times.

What's the reason for refusal?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#39]
He met the CMP-affiliated club requirement by joining the Garand Collectors Association.  The CMP didn't accept his marksmanship participation requirement.  He fired over 50 rounds in a NRA pistol match he found while out of town, but they didn't accept that.  The M1 form states "fired at least 50 shots in an NRA...pistol competition within the past 5 years."  He did.  We didn't follow-up on that because he didn't know how to contact the RO that oversaw the competition (since it was out of town and he found it by accident), and he soon met a different requirement.  The second time he submitted his scoring card from a CCW class taught by an NRA certified instructor.  He sent a copy of the back of the CCW application that stated the date w/ the number of rounds fired, and he had it notarized.  He fired 100 rounds.  The M1 form states that "fired at least 50 shots in an instructional clinic" is acceptable, but it wasn't.  Finally after thinking the CMP wasn't going to be satisfied with anything less than a HP match, we found a match at a range about 110 miles each way from here (Mid-Carolina Rifle Range).  The CMP returned his signed score-card without an explanation.  The club claims that the match meets the CMP's requirements, so I don't know for sure who isn't being honest with us.

My fear is that the CMP will jerk-around the wrong person.  I don't want to give the anti-gunners any excuse to shutdown the program.  The CMP really needs to be more careful who they make mad.z
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Your nephew has a problem. He should call the CMP and find out what's wrong. It could be a multitude of problems such as his age, NICS approval, or the shooting qualifications.

Your nephew's experience is so far off everybody here, myself, and my friends. The CMP is a good organization and that should tell you something... like get on the phone and get it straight from them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
...The CMP didn't accept his marksmanship participation requirement.  He fired over 50 rounds in a NRA pistol match he found while out of town, but they didn't accept that.  The M1 form states "fired at least 50 shots in an NRA...pistol competition within the past 5 years."  He did.  We didn't follow-up on that because he didn't know how to contact the RO that oversaw the competition (since it was out of town and he found it by accident), and he soon met a different requirement.  The second time he submitted his scoring card from a CCW class taught by an NRA certified instructor.  He sent a copy of the back of the CCW application that stated the date w/ the number of rounds fired, and he had it notarized.  He fired 100 rounds.  The M1 form states that "fired at least 50 shots in an instructional clinic" is acceptable, but it wasn't.  Finally after thinking the CMP wasn't going to be satisfied with anything less than a HP match, we found a match at a range about 110 miles each way from here (Mid-Carolina Rifle Range).  The CMP returned his signed score-card without an explanation.  

There's the problem. It must be either:
A) A NRA/CMP sanctioned Highpower Match
B) an NRA sanctioned Silhouette match or
C) a CMP Clinic.
If you try one of those and it doesn't work, the Match Director can send you a signed affidavit on Club Letterhead attesting to the fact that you meet the requirements based on one of the above. You include that with your packet.
Now, as far as that Mid-Carolina Rifle club, I don't know. Are they NRA affiliated? That could be a problem. Maybe the match wasn't sanctioned.
Maybe the CMP just doesn't consider the app anymore because it was messed up once?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#42]
i love mine inherited it from a friend who passed on. to bad i dont have the paperwork oh well. springfield 1943 shoots really nice i should post a pic sometime
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
i love mine inherited it from a friend who passed on. to bad i dont have the paperwork oh well. springfield 1943 shoots really nice i should post a pic sometime

SHOULD post a pic??  It's a MORAL IMPERITIVE that you DO!!  Everyone who owns a Garand, POST A PIC NOW.  (I have to satisfy my cravings somehow, right??)

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, I'd love and post a pic of my Garand if the darn Fedex truck would get here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Watch out for your thumb.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#46]
You have your clip loaded wrong...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#47]
zoom,
you or you nephue should really call or email the cmp to find out what the deal is,

They wont bite i promise, Every time i had any questions for them they were very prompt and professional about it.

i dug up these basic requirements from the cmp's web site. look on page 2

www.odcmp.com/Forms/m1.pdf
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]
You are a lucky man,that is a nice and clean ride you got their.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I've never had any problems with the CMP.  In the last year I have received 3 Mossberg M44's, 1 Danish Garand with a VAR barrel and excellent stock and lots of ammo.  All delivered to my house by FedEx.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#50]
OK, I'm gonna try to get my Garand soon, and I want to join the Austin Rifle Club for my club membership (and to shoot out there, of course).  But, I need two sponsors.  Any ARC members get on this thing might sponsor me?  I've emailed them, and maybe they have a couple people I might be able to meet.  We'll have to see.  

M@
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top