Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 6:52:55 AM EDT
Planning on getting my first AR-15.  Any experiences with Hesse Arms or Century Arms (CIA) AR-15?  I've only seen them in Shotgun News.  Can anyone recommend them?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay FAR away from Hesse. From what I hear, Olympic is also hit/miss. If you want cheap, go with a Rock River Arms lower with a Model 1 parts kit. That should hook you up for just over $500.

I don't have any links to their pages, but just run a search and you'll find them.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL

LOL

He said.....Hesse!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Fly4now try a search for Hesse and start reading.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
stay away from Olympic arms.  you'll just end up wasting your money.  you'd be better off to save money for a longer time and buy a quality firearm. (rock river, armalite, bushmaster or colt)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Gee I am shocked...

Olyhater.....hates Olys!!!

I have what you Americans Call a Preban Oly ( SGW) it is a fine shooter.  The only problems I have run into is a tight magwell and I cannot shoot that cheap steel case russian ammo.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  Any experiences with Century Arms?  

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have only read reports on the Centurys here. ( again do a search).  If I recall they were sort of hit and miss.

Check our Rock River or Cav Arms I hear that they are priced right and of pretty good quality wise.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I've owned two Oly prebans since the late 80s and they have been exceptionally fine examples of an AR-15. I would much prefer a preban Oly over any post ban made.

7th
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Oly haters rarely, if ever, back their dislike with facts.
I've spoken with several guys who can't stand Oly, but for some reason can't cite any specifics. Go figure.
I DO KNOW, however, that Oly has outstanding customer sewrvice!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Spend a little more to get a decent lower, Bushmaster, Eagle, PWA, Oly are all good choice, especially the Bushmaster lower, I use nothing but bushmaster, it is a great product.  the lower will cost about 150 dollars, and you can pick up a FN parts kit from JT dist. for about 450.  you are into for about 600 on a good a dependabvle shooter.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend purchasing an ASA (American Spirit Arms) lower for $109 plus $8 shipping, getting a DPMS lower parts kit from Brownells for $44, buy the rest of the parts from Shurluck Marketing, and pick a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Just don't do it. You'll only regret it later. For only a little bit more you can get something decent. It's worth waiting if you need to save up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to wonder about you "Oly haters".  Have you actually owned an Oly?  I had a preban Olympic Arms setup that shot like a dream.  No mag or ammo problems.  It would digest Wolf with no problems, which was not the case with my Bushmaster.  With a Reflex I sight on it I could hit just about anything out to 100 yards.  Great little gun.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about Oly Haters, but what about Hesse Haters? From the FAL forum, Hesse FAL receivers are pretty much scorned. Seems like their AR rendition is the object of similar derision. So how do you all feel about the new Hesse 50 BMG for $1100?

My own personal experience with Hesse involves a 50 AE upper. When Tony Rumore of Tromix announced he was closing shop, I bit on the "Tromix manufactured" 50 AE upper from Hesse. It shipped very quickly but what I received was far less than what I'd expect of Tromix. My guess is that Tony made some of the parts and Hesse assembled the remainder. Most people would probably expect a company that produces a wide variety of AR rifles to be able to correctly assemble an upper receiver. This appears not to be the case. The handguards were offcentered. I had to knock the front retaining ring loose and re-center it. The bolt carrier looks like it was produced with crude hand tools. Striations, scallops, and tool marks abound. The pin that holds the rear sight drum wasn't installed properly. And the coup de grace; the rear lug has an undersized hole bored through it.

As if the assembly wasn't bad enough, the two 10 round mags were missing. The guy at Hesse insists he packed them (all but calling me a liar). He tells me my only recourse is to file a claim with UPS. Yeah, as if my UPS guy decided to steal customized AR mags by cutting open the box, taking the mags, and then resealing the box as if it were never opened. Anyone still want to buy from Hesse?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've spoken with several guys who can't stand Oly, but for some reason can't cite any specifics. Go figure.

FACT: I owned multiple Olys.

FACT: My 9mm Oly went full auto and blew up (blew the bolt in half).

FACT: Sent it back to Oly for repair/replacement.

FACT: Oly sat on it for a year. Ignored my calls and was not interested in keeping me as a customer.

FACT: When Oly sent my gun back, all they had done was repair (not replace) the bolt and inspect the gun.

FACT: I am no longer an Oly owner or fan.

FACT: Buy Armalite, Bushmaster or DPMS! Any of them are better guns with better customer service.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
haha, lols, it's funny that someone would actually name themself after hating a gun.  I've shown my dislike of Oly many times on this forum, for these reasons:

1. too much play between upper & lower.  I've fondled BMs & armalites, they do NOT have the amount of play that oly does.  accuwedge helped VERY LITTLE.

2. careless DENTS/machining marks on their recievers & uppers.  this isn't just on my gun, I've seen other examples of oly's sh*tty craftsmanship on other of their rifles AND owners here have ALSO observed & complained of this.

3.  the WORST EVER sh*ttiest grips!!!  HUGH SQUARE PLASTIC POS.  I threw it away & got an A1 grip.

4. ugly ass muzzle brake =)  I wonder if the BM muzzle brakes will fit, doubt it...

this was my 1st Ar15 (so I didn't know what to look out for).  I will not make the same mistake again.  the extra $200 for a BM is well worth it.  what's $200 when ya spent $700 already?

but I will say the gun produces nice groups & has never jammed =)

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I can only speak for my own experience.  Bought a complete upper kit from Oly for 439.00.  Bought the forged lower for 95.00.  I have well over 1,400 rounds through the rifle and it is both accurate and absolutely reliable.  Fit and finish are superb.  I have an Holosight mounted forward.  This combination will make a plastic half gallon jug "dance" at 100 yards shooting rapidly.  I am perfectly satisfied with my Oly.  bybon    
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top