Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2001 4:49:54 PM EDT
I'm evaluating pistols right now, trying to figgure out which one I want to get on my birthday.  Right now I'm pretty certain I want either an HK USP 40, 40 Compact, or SIG Pro.  I like them all.  At any rate, I have heard a few things on the internet about difficulty for civilians to get parts for HK pistols?  Can anyone tell me any experiences they've had getting parts for their HK's?  This is a big concern since it would be my only pistol for a while.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, Sig Pros are absolute crap!  Go with the H&K.  Yes cost a bit more but you deffinatly get what you pay for. Don't worry about spare parts for a while the damn things hardly break!

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there any particular reason you have a problem with the Sig Pro?  I'm seeking as much input as I can get, and if you've got details of some experience, I'd like to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the HK..  They are awesome Pistols.  What kind of parts are you talking about?  accesories or parts that may break?  They will last a very long time.  

Check out HKpro. They have the scoope on parts and anything HK.

In a World of Compromise Some Don't
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't understand this fascination with plastic guns, why the SigPro? Get a Sig 226, it's a fine pistol, as good as they come. I have nothing against the HK USP (although I'm not real fond of the grip feel, the 1911 has the best grip in history) I just like guns that feel like GUNS! Not overpriced waterpistols.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Ever look at the Beretta 8000 Cougar? Its damn accurate and very very well built,take a look at it you may suprise yourself!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 USPs of various sizes and calibers.  All have close to, or more than 2K rounds thru them.  Not a single failure of any kind amongst the group.  Get the USP.  You can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah the sig pro is the economy line of sig's. It's the cheepist one they make.  If you got the bones to drop on a H&K you can't go wrong, ever.  I know a guy personally who works for H&K here in Alexandria, and I was told H&K actually won the military trials for a new pistol but was just way to expensive for the cheap ass government so they went with the goddamned Berreta.  Hey by the way what part of Wa you from?  Just moved to VA 5 years ago from Lakewood.  I was stationed at Ft. Lewis when I was in the Army.  Got out and stayed for a few years.  Great state if it weren't for all the damned eviro-wackos.  Got kin that still live there in Gig Harbor.  Bottom line man no bullshit, H&K are the finest production pistols made!  And I don't even own one, Can't aford it.
So I have to stick to Glocks, which are, as far as I'm concerned right in line with H&K just cheeper!

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy the USP!!  I like the feel of the SIGs I have handled, but I bought a USP 40.  Granted, I got a great deal on it.  I think I gave $450 (brand new) at a time that most were breaking $600.  Probably 5000 or so rounds, no failures.  And it's a lot more accurate than I am.

/rl - "In a world of compromise, some don't"
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have several USP's, they're so well made and reliable I've never thought of needing a part for one.

HK seems to have a bad rep on customer service based on what a lot of people post online but my experience with them has been nothing but good.  I sent one that I'd bought used to HK in Sterling VA for installation of night sights and it was turned around promptly.  Another time I had a question about preban mag markings, called them, and was directed to a friendly and knowledgeable guy who was able to tell me what I needed to know.

HK sells accessory type parts only through dealers but I wouldn't expect any problems sending a piece back to them for repair type parts in the very rare event that might be necessary.

I like SIG's and own one myself, but if I could only have one pistol it'd be a USP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Go for the HK USP pistols. The Sig Pro is only a bad copy of a USP pistol. Why, the trigger pull on the Pro sucks! Even though you can change the trigger pack. SA/DA on the Pro is the worst on a Sig pistol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can find it, the HKUSP 40 Compact LEM is the one to get.  It's got the slickest DAO trigger on the market.  Slicker than the Glock, too.  The reset distance is shorter than that of the glock and is at a consistent 4.5-5.5 lbs.   The current package includes night sights and 3 10-rd mags.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Capro,
 My Department just tested the SIG's, HK, Beretta Cougar, Glocks, SW99 and S&W 690?, 590?, anyways some Smith auto. When it was all said and done we picked the SIG 226/229 as our number one choice with the HK USP's a very close second. Our recomendation was to go with either #1 or #2 , we felt both would make fine duty pistols.
 I have been a cop since 1974, been a gun nut even before that. I have had lots and lots of toys over the years and get to shoot even more between my gun loonie friends and the job.
 I was SO IMPRESSED with the HK USP that I am going to buy one. They had great triggers, balanced nicely, and shot very well. Add in the different variants, allowing you to tailor the guns for rt or left handed shooters, add in  the legendary toughness of HK firearms and you have a great pistol.
 Take a look at HK.PRO.com  forums. Everything you want to know, plus generally quite a few USP's for sale. But act quickly as they seem to sell quickly.

Frank N.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
HK's advertisment says it all  

"NO COMPROMISE"

Approximately 2000 rounds thru my .40.  Not ONE jam yet.  No problems at all.  Sig Sauers are also good guns.  I have a 228.  No jams in it so far.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
About 3 years ago I purchased 3 USP pistols. 1 each in calibers 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. All were full size variants 1. In the timeframe of less than 6 months I broke 2 of them. The trigger bar on the 9mm broke and HK decided to fix it under warranty. It took about 10 weeks for it to be returned. Not longer after that the frame on the 40 S&W cracked in the area by the hammer pin. The crack was about 3/4 inch in length. When returned to HK they decided that they would not fix it under warranty as it was an "....ammo problem." They charged me for the repair and said that "....I was a lucky man that this did not take more than 6 months." I confronted the HK rep for the west and there was nothing he could do. So, I took the 3 USP's with a pre-ban magazines and accessories and left them at my dealers to do with as he saw fit. I then immediately ordered 3 S&W Performance Center automatics with all of the accessories and options. The S&W's have been shooting fine for the last 3 years with absolutely no problems. HK warranties on USP pistols SUCK big time as the lifetime warranty can be whatever they want it to be or mean. I also had a very difficult time ordering spare parts from HK. Never again....JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Gee, guess which one I recommend.

USPC40
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
USP  

...See above...
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#19]
HK USP 40c.  Fits my hand really well, but ymmv.  Top choice for me would be a SIG 220 ST.  Parts for HK's and SIGS are plentiful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
7_62gunner: As I recall the HK was not in production at the time of the military pistol trials in 1985. I have read that it was the Sig P226 that was judged to be superior to the Beretta, but not accepted due to cost.

I would probably buy the full size HK.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah the sig pro is the economy line of sig's. It's the cheepist one they make.  If you got the bones to drop on a H&K you can't go wrong, ever.  I know a guy personally who works for H&K here in Alexandria, and I was told H&K actually won the military trials for a new pistol but was just way to expensive for the cheap ass government so they went with the goddamned Berreta.  Hey by the way what part of Wa you from?  Just moved to VA 5 years ago from Lakewood.  I was stationed at Ft. Lewis when I was in the Army.  Got out and stayed for a few years.  Great state if it weren't for all the damned eviro-wackos.  Got kin that still live there in Gig Harbor.  Bottom line man no bullshit, H&K are the finest production pistols made!  And I don't even own one, Can't aford it.
So I have to stick to Glocks, which are, as far as I'm concerned right in line with H&K just cheeper!

That guy is FULL OF SHIT.  In the end, it came down to Beretta and SIG.  Both pistols MET the criteria, so it came down to price and production.  Beretta won on price, and could commit to US production more readily than SIG.  HK wasn't even in the running.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Oops, I didn't mean YOU, 7_62Gunner, I meant the HK rep.  There are a ton of those jokers running all around VA.  If they have to lie to make a sale, they'll lie.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Regardless, try them out for hand fit, pointability, and trigger reach no matter where you buy one.  The trigger reach on the full size HK is fairly long for someone with short fingers.

That frame mounted safety on the HK is great compared to slide mounts like the S&Ws, Berettas, and Rugers.  I wish more companies would make the frame mount safties on DAs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a few HK's as well and you don't know how well made they are until you strip them down and look at the innards. They are works of art and about as reliable out of the box as you can get. I have a few Glocks too and compared to the HK's they are second best (as far as workmanship I mean. Still reliable as hell).

For me, the USP40C is a little kicker. I would probably go with the USP 40F or 45C, but it depends on which model fits your hand best.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#25]
my hk uspc 45 is gone now, sold to a good friend who needed it more than me. (sob) a fine pistol. however, lets have a reality check here folks.
hks are excellent
sigs are excellent
glocks are excellent
hell, even some rugers and s&w's are excellent.
not to mention many other fine brands in production.
and, let's not forget murphy's law: everything breaks. and usually at the worst possible time.
and this applies to ALL handguns.
best to stick to the top '3', and try to get one of each and shoot it first before you buy. all are a good choice.
me, i made my choice years ago and carry a raven arms .25acp.
willy

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I mainly shoot 1911s but own a Sig 228 and did own a USP 45. I sent the USP to HK for a variant change (cocked and locked only) and had night sights installed. Customer service was good and turn around was less than two weeks. The double action pull was long and very heavy. I sold it because I shoot thumb over safety (high grip)and the plastic safety of the USP killed my right thumb. If anyone ever makes an after-market safety that's more ergonomic I may have to buy another USP 45. I never had any malfunctions and the gun was fairly accurate and very well made.

Sig also makes a very fine product. You can depend on either when the SHTF.

BTW, SJSAMPLE is exactly right on the military's adoption of the Beretta.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#27]
You will NEVER regret buying the USP.  I have the .40 full size and I love it.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
No knock against the pro, but check the Sig Forum -  purchase a 226.

I have 2 USPs with @ 20k through them. No failures, no breaks.

If I have to trust it - I want it to be an HK.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Capro,

I've got a USP Tactical and love it; plan to get another one just so I'll have 2. I've seen the Sig Pro's and they seem rather large compared to other semi's of similar cal. & class. Sig's a fine company, but I think this design's excessive size, particularly in light of the 10-rd only peon limit, make it less appealing (tm). For its size & girth, it lookes like it should be holding at least 15 rds. of .40 in its clip. I tend to shoot rather large handguns, but this one looks excessively big even to me.

The USP .45 Tactical, while not a small gun itself, is actually smaller than the SigPro, and the 10 rd. peon limit is not too far off from the LE-only 12-rd. clip maximum. I think 10 rds. of .40 is also close to the actual LE-only clip max, too.

Interestingly, I've noticed that my local dealer (Wade's Guns in Bellevue, WA) hasn't stocked SigPro's in some time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top