Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2001 2:55:19 PM EDT
Is it legal to put collapsable stocks on a preban lower that wasn't sold as a complete rifle?  I've heard both sides from "experts" now I'm confused as hell on what to tell a friend who wants to use them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I learned on this board, a preban lower not sold as a complete rifle, is not preban 1994, it is now a postban.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
To be able to put a collapsable stock on the rifle it had to:

a). Be built into a complete rifle before the ban

OR

b). Have all the parts to complete the rifle before the ban
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So Royal Lancer: If you saw a stripped Colt pre ban for $500 you wouldn't jump on it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The rifle was supposed to have been completed before the ban, per word of mouth from the guy who bought it from the original owner.  The question is: is it up to the present owner to prove it was complete before the ban if questioned by the BATF or is it up to the BATF to try and prove it wasn't?  When my friend got it it had the old fashioned collapsable stock on it with an after market upper (no identifiable markings but it is preban, lug and flash suppressor). The original owner can't be contacted, he moved.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
As Troy stated,that was an "opinion" letter and is not the law.
I would love to see this go to court.
BATF would get there wrists slapped.
cpermd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top