Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2001 9:24:08 AM EDT
That's what been reported in the guys shoes. Anybody know any more about it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's TATP, not TAPT.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The last thing I have heard was that the Explosive was Pentaerythritoltetranitrate (PETN)
detonating mixture with a TATP cap. Apparently this guy had a good charge of it in his shoe. If you were to take a boot and remove the inside sole. Exposing the inner section of the heel and hollow it out that's were the explosives were. The detonation cord was laced around his foot to a homemade ignition system.
The scary thing In my mind is that if he had a lighter...........

JerrY
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The FBI released info that it was in fact triacetone triperoxide, really dangerous home made stuff.  The PETN was probably the detonating cord.  TATP like any organic peroxide, burns violently unless shocked but is very unstable in the deflagration to detonation transformation, unlike our friends PETN, nitrocelluose (almost impossible to detonate alone) or TNT which all like to burn.

What is scary is anyone could make some of this stuff, given the right materials and chemicals.  Its not at all safe to do as eyes, fingers and hands are easily lost to accidents.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top