Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 8:31:09 PM EDT
Most gun owners outside of the full auto community have not heard of the 1934Group, and their legal efforts to abolish the CLEO signoff requirement for the sale and transfer of class three weapons.

Obtaining a CLEO signoff can be impossible in many areas where the police chief is anti-gun, in spite of the fact that the sale and ownership of automatic weapons is perfectly legal in that particular state.

The 1934Group feels that the NFA requirement for signoff has serious 5th. 4th. and 10th. Amendment flaws, which negatively impact our ability to exercise our 2nd. Amendment rights. They have filed a well-researched and very winnable case in the Federal courts, but they are in desperate need of money to fund their legal expenses.

So... please click 1934.dcptech.com/, or www.cableone.net/1934group to find out more about their efforts, and if possible, send them a few $$$.

Class III, semi-auto, handgun, etc... It boils down to the same fight. Let’s all take a hand in winning it!  
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I donated..
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
To the top of the forum,
To seen by all,
Donate Now,
Donate Now,
Donate Now, Y'all!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd donated for the first round.

If they'd actually keep their supporters updated maybe we could get some more support. They keep switching websites without telling where the new one is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
OK... I cut a $30 check today, and off it went.

How bout you???
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
ctdonath, I agree that the 1934 Group needs a more public presence on the various firearm web sites in order to get their message out, and to a keep their supporters updated.

With that said, a representative from the 1934 Group did reply to this same topic over at the FAL Files just the other night.
In part, he said...

The 1934 Group is an entirely non-profit organization devoted to taking pro-NFA firearms cases *offensively* to the courts on behalf of the NFA community.

No one here takes a salary or dips into the donations. 100% of contributions go towards legal efforts to enhance NFA freedoms for dealers, manufacturers, and end users.

We are currently involved in a group lawsuit against the BATF to remove the 'signoff' portion of the Forms 1, 4, and 5, which often prevents many people that could otherwise legally buy or sell NFA items from doing so due to political whims of locals that are unsuited and not legally compelled to sign these forms.

As a correction, the new website is: www.1934group.org which has the text of the lawsuit and appeal process. I suggest you read the lawsuit text: This is for real and going on now, not someone's pipe dream of "We should do something someday and change the law...

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps I have the wrong view and someone can set me straight here, but....

Why should I help out a bunch of people who can afford anywhere from $2500 for a lightening link, to over $20k for an antique machine gun?

Seems the number of people this would benefit is very small, and the majority of those it would benefit, would seemingly have enough money to pay for the suit themselves.

Now, if they were suing to repeal the 1934 GCA completely, I'd be sending in money.  But this little suit seems to be for the benefit of a bunch of rich people so they don't have to crawl to their CLEO.

Broaden the usefulness of this effort, and I'm sure you'd get a lot more people in support.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Back40,  I can't speak for the group and their motives, but my guess would be that they are attempting to wage a small, but realistically winnable battle, and that they are hampered from filing a suit like the one you describe, because of limited funding.

Key members of the 1934Group are also pushing hard for a new NFA registry amnesty, which could potentially result in thousands of newly transferable full autos being available to the general public.

Again, I think they are picking fights that they think they can win, and while these might seem like insignificant steps to some, I agree with their strategy of building legal momentum through a series of small, attainable victories.

Just think of the financial support and exposure that they would receive from the general shooting community, if they succeed in slaying the Federal dragon on both accounts.
Then it becomes time to tackle things like the 86 ban, and even the National Firearms Act itself.

Rome was not built in a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top