Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2001 11:00:35 PM EDT
I just began collecting some WWII weapons just for a home display sake.  I have a Russian M44 and m91/30. An Ishapor Enfield and A K98 Mauser that shoots .308 (Ammo choice due to owning FAL) and need American representation in the form of a Garand and the M1 Carbine.

SOG is out of cheap ones.  I own mostly modern arms and hence do not want to fork out a ton of cash for just the display.  Not really interested in collectors value.  Miltech has nice but that's beyong my budget.  

Have access to FFL and C&R license.  Any Idea's where a good place to order ?  Any inputs on the original versus the put together parts gun with new receivers will be very much welcomed!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#1]
M1 Carbines are getting hard to come by but I'd get the M1 Garand from CMP. Finding a 100% original is going to be difficult since most all of the Garands went through arsenal rebuild after they saw service, and even if you did find one it would be expensive. You might get a mix of Springfield, Winchester, and IHC parts. Nothing wrong with them as all the CMP guns are good shooters. CMP Garands are $400 for a Danish service grade, $500 for a service grade, and $950 for a collector grade (when sales resume... there's a waiting list for these). I would stay away from the "new receiver" guns if I were you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]
For the M1 Carbine you would probably be looking at spending around $400-$500 for a USGI issue WWII era rifle that's in shooter condition. It wouldn't be pretty but would shoot fine. The prices go up from there for better condition rifles. Forget buying an original M1 Carbine that has the original folding stock. They are selling for well over $1000.
There were a few companies that made M1 carbines after the war (in the 60's I think) and these would be priced a little lower in the $300-$400 range. Most of them weren't built to USGI specs and you might have difficulty using military surplus parts in them. I would suggest buying one of these as a last resort.
There is a company making one today, IAI I think, and they have had mixed reviews. Some people have reported nothing but problems with them while others haven't had any problems. The ones I've seen in gunstores look nice but don't exactly have the history that an original WWII issue M1 Carbine.

I love shooting my M1 Carbines almost as much as I enjoy my AR-15's. Everyone who enjoys shooting semiautomatic military style rifles should own one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Since its for display only, why not get a "demilled" model.  They can be had for cheap and won't be wasting a firearm on just a display.  On the other hand there's the cosmetic problems with a reweld of the pieces.

Just my .00000002
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks you guys for your Input!

After seeing The Thin Red Line Movie yesterday, I am going to get one of each for sure to enjoy the display and shoot once in a while!

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the club.  As stated earlier carbines are getting very had to come by.  Decent ones in this area start at $500 and quickly go up from there.  Garands still pretty common.  The Century Arms ones go from $400 to $500.  I have one, shoots just fine tho many folks look down on them.  CMP is certainly a good way to go if you can get qualified.  Don't expect anything mint but it will be a good shooter.

Don't pay a premium for "original" guns.  Given the amount of rework the US did almost no carbines or Garands are completely original.  Many of those sold as "original" ain't.  Be very leary of "original" carbines.  Even coming from the factory carbines could be mixed bag on parts.  Only three of the twelve manufacturers built everything in house and even they would swap parts if needed.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Give ProTech Engineering in Barry,Il a call. He usually has both M1 carbines and Garands in stock. He both restores them and builds competion Garands. Price is as good as gun shows and will be honest with you concerning the guns he has. I have CMP Garand he has worked on and am a satisfied customer. He advertises in Shotgun News under gun smiths.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top