Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2001 12:13:34 PM EDT
field repair kit? if so, what's inside of it, who makes them, and how much would they be?
pics or/and links will be apreciated.
thanks in advaced
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Criuse through www.pantherarms.com/ and www.bushmaster.com .  They both have several variations.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks norm,
merry cristmas

H.F.A.
OUT
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
but i meant something smaller, like some sort of FIELD repair kit, something that would carry firing pins, extractors, different springs, stuff like that.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything you need tools to install, you can't use "in the field".*  

First, install a Stowaway II grip.  Everything you need can be put in a small ziplock bag and kept in the grip.  I have done this on all my AR's.

I suggest:

1 Firing pin
1 Firing pin retainer (cotter pin)
1 Extractor
1 Extractor spring (with buffer)
1 Extractor pin (or two)
1 Trigger Spring
1 Hammer Spring
1 Disconnector spring
1 Trigger/Hammer pin
6 or more gas rings
 -OR-
1 "McFarland" type ring (plus one installed on the bolt, in which case you probably don't need a spare)
1 Cam pin

The ejector and its spring and pin are included in some kits, but are not really "field replaceable" as you need a vice, punch and hammer to change the ejector.  (Yeah, I carry those in my backpack... LOL) Not bad to have them, but you can't change them in the field.

Nothing else is likely to break or be replaceable "in the field".  Now, at home, that is different.  

* I am defining "in the field" as 3 days walk out in the woods or mountains, sitting by the campfire, or hunkered down somewhere, and working on your rifle on your lap with no tools other than a bullet tip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no tools other than a bullet tip.

you forgot the fireing pin can be used as a push pin
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry... did not give sources...

Bushmaster/Quality Parts carries the Stowaway II grip.  $12.95.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/56pt7spg2.asp

This was made by a company called Lone Star Ordnance, in Irving, Texas, but I think they may be out of business.  These grips are still available from Bushmaster and others.

As you can see from the link above, the grip otherwise looks just like the standard A2 grip.

A good kit of parts is available from DPMS.  It has the useless ejector parts, but a good buy, all the same.  Or you can buy the parts separately.

Here is the DMPS Field Repair Kit, #BP-01

http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=6573&CATID=494

It has most of the parts I listed previously.

Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the firing pin can be used to push pins.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=90&CATID=508&ObjectGroup_ID=1256

The McFarland style 1-piece gas ring is BT-01MF.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I recommend the Bushmaster field repair kit. It has everything A_Free_Man mentioned above for $29.95.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/afield.asp
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, thanks guys, thanks a lot.
troy: no man, i was interested in the contents, not in the container, but thanks anyway.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Hunter! Hope things are cool where you are. I have a Sporter, Colt, so I would need a hairlip parts kit? I heard all the changes Colt made, so I just keep spare rifles, rather than figuring out what non-standard parts I may need. Good luck in Argentina! (grab me a TV)
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree, after looking, the Bushmaster kit is the better repair kit.  It has an additional disconnector, which is not really a high breakage item, but it is nice to have another at home in your parts box.

That is good for another reason, while you are ording the Stowaway grip from them, you can get the repair kit, and only pay shipping once.  This grip is the best way I know to have your parts always handy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
(grab me a TV)

ROFL!!!!!!!!
Thing are kinda quiet here, no more riots and chit like that, i hope it stays that way.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top