Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2001 7:13:48 PM EDT
i saw an AR at a gunshow that looked chromed or some kind of polished ss. it had black furnature, the receiver, barrel, and other metal parts were a tacky chrome color. i think it was preban. and may have been marked colt. not sure about the colt part, but im sure is was pre ban, as it had a bayo lug and what-not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt made some "electroless nickel", or something, finished SP1's in the early 70's.  They were supposed to be more corrosion resitant.  I've heard dealers say the were made for the Coast Guard, but I don't know about that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was an SP1, then it was the Coltguard finish.  Yep, it's electroless nickel.  I bought one for $750 about 3 years ago and ended up selling it.  The finish was really really shitty, some of it was flaking off of the lower reciever, looked like it had been through WWIII.  But, it still worked like a charm and never failed in any way, shape, or form.

I've seen pics of some that are in like new condition and they look pretty sharp.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
the one i saw looked good at a glance, but it seemed to shout "hey, this is the shittiest finish ever" not unlike a lorcin or raven .25
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i saw an AR at a gunshow that looked chromed or some kind of polished ss. it had black furnature, the receiver, barrel, and other metal parts were a tacky chrome color. i think it was preban. and may have been marked colt. not sure about the colt part, but im sure is was pre ban, as it had a bayo lug and what-not.

There is a dealer down in Florida that specializes in .....different finishes.

If anyone is tired of black and gray these folks supposedly do everything from "gold metalflake"  to "pink hard chrome."

I for one am going to wait just a little longer before I head down to the local range with my
"pink Sig 220" and my "gold metal flake AR-10 (T)" !!
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If anyone is tired of black and gray these folks supposedly do everything from "gold metalflake"  to "pink hard chrome."

I for one am going to wait just a little longer before I head down to the local range with my

Who's this guy? I wouldn't mind getting all my mags and AK refinished in a gold metal flake. LOL
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's this guy? I wouldn't mind getting all my mags and AK refinished in a gold metal flake. LOL

Actually it was a woman in Florida advertising.

Now just my opinion but I believe your "AK" and mags finished in gold metalflake might be a little...too conservative.

Now you take a gold metalflake "AK" (please) and then put that AK with some pink AK mags and I believe those colors present a more eye-catching ensemble.

Just think of your friends at the range seing your gold metalflake AK with those hot-pink mags.  (Although they may be concealed shoot to the sound of the laughter.)

I know I'm gonna get so many requests I may as well start looking for the info on this place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top