Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 5:07:04 AM EDT
I removed the gas key from the bolt for cleaning and I can't seem to get it torqued back enough to hold it during firing.

Has anyone else used loc-tite in the bolt? Is it safe from a heat/pressure standpoint?

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Locktite is worth a try. If it doesn't work you'll have to stake them like the manufacturers do. Stakes aren't disolved by cleaning products and lubricants like locktite may be.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I removed the gas key from the bolt for cleaning and I can't seem to get it torqued back enough to hold it during firing.

Has anyone else used loc-tite in the bolt? Is it safe from a heat/pressure standpoint?

Absolutely.  Try blue first.  I know that Compass Lake Engineering was using Green LocTite to hold the gas blocks in place, but I'd only use green on the bolt carrier if the blue proved inadequate.  Either way, a little mild heat from a propane torch or soldering iron will soften loctite enough for removal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The use of "Loctite" products is not called for use on the carrier key bolts. Manual calls for torque of 35-40 inch-pound. Staking in 2 or 3 places is called for. Mechanical locking will hold much better than "chemical" locking that will be affected the heat generated by the hot gas cycles in rapid or auto fire, along with the oils used to lubricete the bolt-carrier. All mine are properly staked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top