Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 9:34:14 PM EDT
 I did some light reading on the SAS the other day.  I noticed that the pistol they use has, what appears to be, a 30 shot capacity magazine ( 2 inches of the magazine hang beneath the handle) in it??? What kind of pistol is that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The last I heard it was the browning HP.. but it has been a while...pat
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think 2 inches will add 15 rounds to the total capacity of a pistol. Find a pic of a Glock 18 or a Beretta 93 and you'll see that there is the equivalent of a full mag extending below the mag well to get it up to thirty rounds.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 3:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Browning High Power still, my buddy just got back from Saudi. He worked with the Brits, says they still carry them. I love my HP, just got one of the FN HP's from a local gun store. Same as my Browning except it is entirely manufactured/assembled in Belgium...and so marked.
milcop out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#4]
They have used the Sig Sauer P226 for years now, the Walther PPK is used in undercover operations.

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They actually DO still use their old Hi-Powers, but also use the SIGs, which have 20-round mags available (only for LEOs & government in the US, though).

-Troy

Beg to differ, plenty of pre-ban 20 round mags for the 226 around - a bit expensive but they're around.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
They have also used a 5 1/2 " bbld long slide high power - with the 21rd mag.

Some of their guns appear to have been done by Kurt Wickman when he was with Novak's (as were HRT guns etc.)

I understand they went to the p226 for non-entry stuff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read that they purchased p226s and 20 rd. mags for entry use. I would not be surprised to learn that they are allowed to use their choice of pistols.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
You mean they're not using Kimbers?!?!?!?!?

LOL...enough of my Kimber flames.

I love the Browning Hi-Power as a single-action 9mm auto.  I just wish their thumb safety were like Browning's 1911 design.  Does anyone know if there is a conversion like this on the market?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple of years ago I saw the SAS switch over to the Beretta.
I was unaware that they are still using the Browning.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You mean they're not using Kimbers?!?!?!?!?

LOL...enough of my Kimber flames.

I love the Browning Hi-Power as a single-action 9mm auto.  I just wish their thumb safety were like Browning's 1911 design.  Does anyone know if there is a conversion like this on the market?

i have seen Browning HI-Powers with extended slide stop and thumb safties. i dont know any company that makes them. might just be custom made.

i would hope that the SAS remove the stupid magazine break.

i currently own a Hungarian HP which is in my opinion just as good as the Belgium HP's. it is fitted with an extended slide stop and thumb safty. these parts are not marketed individualy.

Hi-Powered lib
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The SAS has some P226's for anti-terrosit operations.  Most other operations don't require a sidearm, and if they do they carry the standard UK sidearm of the BHP.  I hadn't heard about the Beretta, but they may very well have bought some.  

Remember that the UK has a much smaller budget than the US, so there's not as much willingness to go out and buy loads of new equipment for a single Regiment over other operational budget concerns.  They buy what they need when they have a good reason, and they make do with what they already have when they can.  Only the US has the kind of money to burn like we do.

20rd mags are available for both the P226 and the BHP.  I have both factory and Mecgar 20rd mags for my P226 and they are still around, but expensive now.  The BHP 20 rounders are less expensive, and work great as well.  They stick out about an inch or so from the bottom on both guns.  

On of my BHP's has an extended safety I fitted to it.  It's from Cylinder and Slide.  There is about any item available for the BHP that's available for any other handgun.  The C&S safety is high quality and was easy to fit.  I found the difference to be night and day compared to the old safety.  It's easy to use, and it "clicks" into place, just like a Govt Model.  I bought mine off of Auction Arms.  I know Brownells and all the other list of usual suspects carries them as well.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top