Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 9:31:28 PM EDT
Anybody know a substitute. Stuff sounds like Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) - common ingrediant in laundry soap? What is Dicro-Clean 909? Thanks! Chuck
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
As a pre cleaner for blueing? I would try TSP and see how it worked.
I park, matte blue CRS and CS. I degrease with carb cleaner. Blast with garnet. Handle with paper towels. Blow off any dust. Suspend with CRS wire and into the tank. After bluing into cold water rinse under high pressure. Blow off water then spray with Sheath. This works fine. I don't do polish blue so I don't worry about crap on the metal. I use to do everything according to Brownells but over the years developed my own system. I thought about trying TSP when I used a pre cleaner, just never got around to it...

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to go through all of the steps to parkerize or blue as far as cleaning these Garands, but only for cleaning purposes.  I will not parkerize or blue.  I would rather not use water solution or rinse due to the potential for rust.  I'm thinking about cleaning with TSP & mineral spirits.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
More of a question than an answer; but if you clean your Garand with TSP, aren’t you going to have to wash it off with water?

Personally, I’d just use Gunscrubber.  

Old timey gunsmiths used to clean guns with a hot lye and water solution before bluing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top