Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 12:38:01 PM EDT
Ok...you haul out a bag of Gold Krugerands, get in your car to go to the coin shop. Next thing you know you're not in Modern Day America but somehow managed to have arrived in the Wild West in 1877.

You gotta get yourself real fast.

What do you buy for you Cowboy Arsenal to deal with rampaging Indians and Bandits ?

Here is my picks:
(1.) Custom Colt SAA in 44/40
(2.) Colt Lightening in 38 S&Ws
(3.) Winchester 1873 in 44/40
(4.) Sharps Rifle in 45-70
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine would be a...

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A M4 with select fire "3 round bursty" with a Grenade launcher on the bottom, and a reflex 2 w/ 5 or 6 extra tritium lamps, and a trillion rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Mine would be a...

Dude, you read my mind!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington 10 ga dbl barrel shotgun

A pair of 5 1/2 in barrelled Colt SAAs in .44-40

Winchester 1873 in .44-40

Also, I believe Colt Lightnings were chambered in .38 long colt, not .38s&w.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You're taking your life into your own hands if you think that the Colt Model 1878 Lightning (Thunderer if chambered in .41 Colt) is a valid weapon. It had one of the weakest linkages of any revolver ever causing them to fail more often than not. It's no mystery why Colt quit making them, they sucked. As has been correctly pointed out, the .38 S&W wasn't one of the chamberings.

And about the whores, ever take note of the pictures of those skanks? If they were the only women available back then, I would consider joining a monastery. Penicillin wasn't around back then either.

Some of you've been watching way too much television.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd take one of those gold coins and get transportation back East where I'd put the rest of those gold coins into some very insightful and uncanny investments.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
There were few SHTF guns in the old west.  There were lots of tools like a single shot shotgun and a lever action.  The closest thing to a SHTF gun was a handgun.  Most were single shot muzzle loaders or cap and ball guns.  The SAA and other cartridge arms came quite late in the "old West".
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The definitive CQB rifle would have been an 1892 Winchester in .32-20, along with a Colt in the same caliber.  Your sniper rifle would be a '74 Sharps or Winchester Highwall in one of the .45's or .50's.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
There was no "wild west" in 1892 and the Indians were all on the reservations by then as well. Even Geronimo was locked up in Fort Sill. As was pointed out before, most of the handguns would've been cap and ball affairs like the Colt 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, and Remington 1858 with metallic cartridge revolvers making a widespread entry near the end of this era. Read "Log of a Cowboy" by Andy Adams and "We Pointed Them North" by E.C. "Teddy Blue" Abbott. These cover the period from about 1871 until 1883 and are firsthand accounts of drovers moving cattle from south Texas to Montana. No marauding Indians, no shoot 'em up bank holdups, no killing buffalo with long range rifles out to a mile. In Andy Adams' book, he tells of finding a small band of bison (they were pretty well wiped out by then) near what is now Anadarko, Oklahoma. They chased down a calf and roped it and shot it with a pistol. A Colt if it makes you feel more nostalgic.

Oh yeah, Wyatt Earp had a telephone in his office in Tombstone in 1881, though long distance service wasn't available for about two more years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
single actition in 44 wcf
rifle in same
and a sawed off 12 guage!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd take one of those gold coins and get transportation back East where I'd put the rest of those gold coins into some very insightful and uncanny investments.

Now THIS is thinking ahead!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
For old west SHTF I'd have to go with a Smith and Wesson Schofield break-open revolver over the Colt.  Down side is the .44 ammo for it is not quite as powerful as the .44-40, but the reloading is much faster since you dump the empties all at once and not one at a time.

Winchester or Marlin repeater in same caliber, and a Remington Rolling Block or Sharps in .45-120 for the long range hold em off work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Pichforks and grain reapers are the standard SHTF weapons.
Build a catapult to launch dried cow patties soaked in lamp oil.
Ring my property in some of that newfangled 'barbed' wire, before they outlaw it, making mine pre-ban.
Store 5 cases of millet and 5 cases of pork and beans in the tin can.  Can never have too much millet.
Get some tobacco 'fer tradin with 'da injuns.
Keep my bowie knife and corn seeds in my rucksack incase I have to bug out.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I think that Mongo has the right take on this entire discussion.
W
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I would find myself the closest gunsmith/ metal shop and use the gold I have to start production on a “new” style firearm and ammo. Then I would sit back and think about how y’all in 2001 are posting messages on SDavid Stoner.com

edited to add that people would be amazed by the accuracy of the prophetic writings of one SDavid, the eccentric man who “designed, developed and produced” countless guns, internal combustion engines that run on whale oil, and high yield production of malt beverages. On his deathbed he rambled on about Bat f’s, f-bi carnivores, Waco’s, Ruby‘s Ridges and in his last breath he mumbled a nonsensical warning against Gorey Clinton, Shumers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]
It'll be interesting to read later how your rifle fares since good sources of aluminum didn't exist in the nineteenth century, nor did the technology to produce stable nitro cellulose powders or good jacketed bullets. Better make your gas system out of stovepipe so that it doesn't foul.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For old west SHTF I'd have to go with a Smith and Wesson Schofield break-open revolver over the Colt.  Down side is the .44 ammo for it is not quite as powerful as the .44-40, but the reloading is much faster since you dump the empties all at once and not one at a time.

Winchester or Marlin repeater in same caliber, and a Remington Rolling Block or Sharps in .45-120 for the long range hold em off work.

The Schofield was chambered in .45 schofield, basically a shorter version of the .45 colt. This chambering is eventually what killed the gun. It would have been a huge success IMO if S&W had chambered it in .45 Colt.

I don't think any lever gun was ever chambered in .45 Schofield. I could be wrong.

A "hi-cap" lever gun would be a better option in the wild west SHTF situation than the more powerful single-shots and a  brace of pistols in the same caliber is a must.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Jim_Dandy

No one said anything about Indians - all sorts of bad asses that needed to be shot (and wild critters) were around in 1892.

It might not have been as wild as 1800, but I'll bet you would be a fish out of water in 1890 or 1900.  No air conditioning, no in home refrigeration that amounted to much (epsecially in summertime Oklahoma!), outdoor crappers, raise most of your food, do your own construction, constant care for your horses, and so on.

Lighten up, it's just for fun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]

outdoor crappers, raise most of your food, do your own construction, constant care for your horses, and so on.

Noooooo, running water was available, flushable commodes were around, electricity was available in many areas, stores sold groceries, and not everyone had to have a horse. You'd probably be more surprised than I at how settled and civilized things were.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey Jim Dandy, I thought the Colt lightning was a pump action rifle, not a revolver.  I just read about it in a magazine maybe it was Shooting Times.  Also, I think Navy Arms is making a reproduction gun now.  They both were pump rifles.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I was aware that the pump rifles (Model 1883?) were sold under the moniker "Lightning," but the crummy Model 1878 double action revolvers were given the names of "Lightning" and "Thunderer" by a Colt retailer when they were first introduced. This is why we see them referred to as such today. They were never officially referred to or marketed as such by Colt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're taking your life into your own hands if you think that the Colt Model 1878 Lightning (Thunderer if chambered in .41 Colt) is a valid weapon. It had one of the weakest linkages of any revolver ever causing them to fail more often than not. It's no mystery why Colt quit making them, they sucked. As has been correctly pointed out, the .38 S&W wasn't one of the chamberings.
quote]

Not True. I just so happen to have a Nickel Plated Colt Lightning with a 4 inch barrel chambered in 38 S&W. It even says .38 cal on the trigger guard. When comparing the bore to that on my Smith and Wesson Model 15, the bore is noticibly larger than .38 special.

.38 Special isn't a true ".38" caliber. It is really .355.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#23]
im with stealth,

hey stealth, what ya say we invest the ideas of a fella  by the name of rocefeler(sp?} and some crazy inventor in maine by the name of Hiram Maxim?
i hear they got some pretty good ideas and are looking for invsetors.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm partial to the .38-40.

.40 cal 180Gn bullet at about 1000FPS (old west precurser to the .40SW).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top