Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2001 12:15:21 PM EDT
at least part of the gun is AR15 :-) just like to hear comments- good or bad.

thanks, scott
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 18" barrelled para model. The only AR15 part it has is the magazine. (The rightmost AR type rifle now has a 4 position stock so it no longer looks goofy)

It's 3rd from the right:

The sights aren't as easily adjustable as an AR15. Gas system is similar to an AK (piston directly connected to the bolt carrier. Take down is very simple. Push out the rear pin (which is retained like an AR pin). Swing the upper receiver upward. Remove the cocking handle. Withdraw the bolt/carrier/piston/recoil spring assembly.

Actual steel FNC magazines are expensive and hard to find. But regular AR mags fit and function just perfectly. I like the appearance of the FNC. The alloy lower receiver was nicely machined and anodized. Handguards do a good job of insulating you from heat during prolonged firing.

The biggest plus? Al Pacino looked cool handling it in the movie "Heat."

How could anyone not like the looks of this badboy:

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one, good reliable gun, not too pretty, but they are not supposed to be.  I don't beleive it is as accurate as my 16" AR.  Also, I really miss the bolt not staying open on the last shot, you can't feel when you fired the last shot.  The nicest feature is that you can make it FA with a bread tie... takes about 10 seconds and is easy to remove and dispose of.  Not that I would ever do that!  Parts are kind of hard to find and not a lot of accessories.  Over all I love it, but if I had to choose one, I'd take my AR.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
how does it compare it with your AR's? which do you prefer to shoot? are there any para models with 16 inch barrels? what is the gas operation on these? FAL< AK< AR type?

thanks, scott
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
at least part of the gun is AR15 :-) just like to hear comments- good or bad.

thanks, scott

I've had two - a straight stock with 18" barrel and a paratrooper with the 16" barrel - just (Choke) sold this gun to a friend who got it for his "wife" for Christmas !  The girl likes diamonds and guns.

As a general statement, the FNC's are not considered to be of quite the same quality of the other Belgium FAL's.
(No, hell no, I'm not going to defend that statement.  Take it for what it's worth.)

I would only rate my two as excellent.

A couple of things you might keep in mind:

1)  FNC mags are tough to find.  Try and get at least two when/if you buy.  If you can find one with more accessories (Scope-mount, bipod (rare !), sling, extra mags, anything extra, you're probably better off trying to deal here as accessories alone are a tough find and are expensive.
2)  There is a side benefit to the FNFNC.  S&S still does full-auto conversions for $1600 - and for $1900 with the three-round burst.
Just for a number say you pay $2000 for the FNC and add $1900 for the conversion, a select-fire costing only $3900 ain't bad.
Your immediate increase in value would be about $600 - $800.

Nice gun to own for both pleasure and appreciation.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
It was the very first gun I owned, I shott it untill I broke the o-ring that retain the recoil spring, then instead of fixing it, I sold it to a gun shop and got a AR-15.  That was 14 years ago, I was stupid and the gun shop underhand me on that deal.  I should have kept it.  great shooter, I really like the look, I had a scope mount with Falcon sight, and bunch of AR mags. one of two guns I regrat selling.  the other one being a SG551.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The gun to the right of the FNC is a rare bird.  Only four (4) were ever built.

Tromix AR chambered in 44 Magnum.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one FNC. I like it. It is an older model series. The barrel is a 1/12" twist.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned a couple.  One 16" para and a 18" standard stock.  I really enjoyed both.  They are a nice addition to the AR15's.  I sold off the 18" rifle to pay for the conversion of the 16" to select fire.  I just received the call that it was done and its on its way.  Should have it by the end of next week!!!

Very nice to shoot and somewhat rare.  Its nice to have a unique piece.  

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me.

fuatos

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, easy as cake.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
2)  There is a side benefit to the FNFNC.  S&S still does full-auto conversions for $1600 - and for $1900 with the three-round burst.
Just for a number say you pay $2000 for the FNC and add $1900 for the conversion, a select-fire costing only $3900 ain't bad.
Your immediate increase in value would be about $600 - $800.

Nice gun to own for both pleasure and appreciation.

Is this conversion only for dealers and LEOs?  How do they do the conversion to get around the '86 ban?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
The conversions are done with pre '86 registered sears.  They are fully transferable to anyone who qualifies, class 3 state and back ground check...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
How can I contact them?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The conversions are done with pre '86 registered sears.  They are fully transferable to anyone who qualifies, class 3 state and back ground check...

fuatos is of course correct above.

I believe this is a Form 4 gun - you don't have to be LEO or Class 3 to own.
Best thing to do is talk with a Class 3 dealer somewhere around you.  They'll know about your state laws, who to get to sign-off, etc.
The paper work is about like getting a concealed carry permit - fingerprints, photo, etc.
You fill-out the paper work, get your "good boy" sign-off by whom ever your Class 3 recommends, send the completed package to BATF and wait about three months.  That's not all bad news because strangely enough it takes S&H about three months to complete your machine gun !!
Many FN FNC's are being converted to select-fire weapons by S&H for individual owners.  Additionally S&H are now in the market buying FNC's for their own inventory.
One fine day Curtis Higgins, the owner of S&H is going to announce "no more individual owner FNC's will be converted" and sell only completed machine guns from his stock.  After all he only has so many auto-sears.
FN FNC's in order of "most likely to increase in value whether semi or machine gun":  1) Paratrooper with 16" barrel.  2) Fixed stock with 16" barrel (rare) 3) Paratrooper with 18" barrel 4)  Fixed stock with 18" barrel.

I'm sure others will have their own opinions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Curtis Higgins
S&H Arms
918-272-9894
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 2:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One fine day Curtis Higgins, the owner of S&H is going to announce "no more individual owner FNC's will be converted" and sell only completed machine guns from his stock.  After all he only has so many auto-sears.

FWIW, I read on the FAL boards that he actually has more auto sears than there were Semi FN FNCs imported into the country
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, I read on the FAL boards that he actually has more auto sears than there were Semi FN FNCs imported into the country

May well be true but I've never spoken to anyone that had a clue as to how many Curtis made.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks FUATOS, he's right here in my back yard!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Good luck on your project.  I hope you are able to get one.  They are a load of fun to shoot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top