Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2001 9:34:17 AM EDT
Been obsessed with semi-auto, military rifles lately. I know nothing about. Been shooting for years and have a number of firearms including semi-auto pistols but have never fired/handled a military style weapon.

WHere do I start to gather info - most of the boards here are over my head!! Unfortunately, in Pennsylvania, I can't hunt with a semi-auto so I am really looking to get into the game at a very inexpensive and simple level (for now!)

From what I can tell, SKS or AK-47 cheapest/best value for the guy who just wants to have fun?? Any advice? (I saw a post regarding inexpensive AR15s for $800 - that may be for an AR15 but that is way over where I want to start).

For the record, I dont' need MOA at 300 yds, don't need custom fitted weapon, don't need phenominal velocity and 30,000 RPM. Just want to have some fun with a semi and maybe add it to the home-defense arsenal...

Thanks for the input!

nate
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
hey nate!
well, to try and help, i'd say, don't expect too much info in the realm of AK versus AR! this subject has been covered, almost weekly, for as long as anyone can remember! use the "search" button up top, and try to go back a few weeks, you should find some opinions.

obviously, this being AR15.com, most will be biased...

like this one: hold out, save up, and buy the AR! you won't regret it!

hope this helps!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Natedog....

Two people I know had your same deliema. They both bought a Olympic Arms Plinker. I gather it is a cast upper and lower and really just made for blasting. I think they paid about 500.00 (that's for a new rifle by the way).

At least it will start you in the AR game. I can't really recommend these becase I don't actually own one but they seem happy with them. Maybe some one else on the board can give you a recommendation of these.

www.olyarms.com/usa.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have all 3 you just named.(Except the AK47,AR-FArt says there are no "real" AK 47s)..at any rate,I do own all 3.

First gun for me was the AR (Bushmaster shorty), bought it and added some nice accesories, absolutely love it!Bought a lighweight 20" DPMS/Essential Arms pre-ban...love it also.It's been beat to hell and back..I beat it back to hell again.

SKS is a real fun and cheap gun..I paid $165 for mine...very nice shooter.But not excactly a blaster...it only has the 8 round clip, so if you want to "rapid-fire" you'll have to upgrade the magazine capability.

Have an AK47...oops, it's a Bulgarian milled AK imposter...for identification purposes...it's an AK. Great gun for collecting and shooting. Paid $500 for it....worth every penny but, my AR's are far and above my favorites.

The advice of others on this board is invaluable at times.,listen to them..they told me to wait and save up for the AR I wanted...I did and am happy. Good advice...wait and save.

hope that helps,Beware though..YOU'LL BE HOOKED!
NAKED
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome aboard

I'm a little biased towards AR15s. Either the Oly plinker or the LEGP are probably the best bang for the buck and will get you started. For info on the LEGP go here: www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60. AFAIK, they've stopped taking orders for now but it doesn't hurt to ask. Somebody may have one they want to sell.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SKS is a real fun and cheap gun..I paid $165 for mine...very nice shooter.But not excactly a blaster...it only has the 8 round clip,
NAKED

Somebody needs to go back to counting school, I think.  (Sure it ain't 10 rounds??)
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't waste your money, buy a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Nate,

Forget about Colts, they're overpriced.  Get just about any used AR-15 for sale here on the Equipment Exchange.  It will do what you want and get you started.

Then buy a brand new Bushmaster.

Then buy a FAL...

You get the idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If I didn't have the AR, the next gun on my list would be an M1 Carbine. Lots of fun to shoot, reliable, fairly inexpensive, non-threatening to the hoi polloi. The .223 is a better round for a house gun (and most other purposes) but the .30 Carbine round is quite good, and better than most handgun rounds if you have neighbors fairly close by.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 AR's, 2 AK's, and an SKS.  The SKS was $150, and is fun to shoot, but I don't have the removeable magazine, so that kind of limits my shooting with it.  I really like my AK's.  I have an Egyptian Maadi and a Romanian SAR-2.  Both were about $300.  I also have a Bushmaster 20" HBAR and a KKF 22 Upper.  I like 'em all.  I did pay too much for my Bushmaster....$850 at Cabela's last December.  Live and learn.  

If I had to choose one for a lot of shooting, I would go with the AK-47.  The ammo is cheap (I think you can still get 1000 rounds for less then $100).  Plus, mags are cheap at gun shows.

Brad
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
a3kid,
Damn...see what I mean? Now,I've got to re-load allll those stripper clips...who told me it was 8??*&#$%@!!..learn somethin' new everyday.

I like my AR51 ..errr..62...78?
NAKED
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I own both an Ak and an AR, if your looking for a cheap gun and to shoot cheap ammo go with the AK, you can find a new SAR-1 for $250-300, the AR is more expensive but worth the money, but start with the AK and let it get your appetite up for bigger and better
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Sigh....

I own them all.

SKS - ~$200 (Romanian, Chinese) Cheapest fun semi, 3-4MOA, 7.62x39, 10 round max capacity, no detachable mags (I dont want to get into all the legal issues of adding detachable jammomatics here)

AK - ~$350 (SAR-1 from aimsurplus)  Medium cost, 3-5 MOA, 7.62x39 or .223 available today, 30 round mags, mags are cheap ($7), super reliable, easy to take care of.

AR - ~$750 (Bushmaster shorty)  Higher cost, 1-2MOA, .223, 20/30 round mags, mags cost $15-$25, very reliable, light fun gun.

I started with the SKS.  I loved it, but soon, I found the urge to own an AR, and then an AK.  If you shoot a lot, you will spend more money on ammo than you will on the rifle in a short amount of time.  

If I could only have one, it would be the Bushmaster, just because I like AR style so much.  However, they are all a lot of fun.  You can't go wrong if you want to start cheap.  Just buy the SKS, then if you decide you want to upgrade, sell it.  You'll get your money out of it and be wiser as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
If you opt for the sks go to gunshow and look for the sks model that excepts the ak-47 detachable mags they go for 250-300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top