Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 2:46:45 PM EDT
These look like a real good buy.  Are they any good?  How is accuracy and relibility?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a J&T kit gun.  Great, no problems.
100% functionality.

Chambering appears to be for milspec 5.56mm as opposed to tight 223 sporting chamber which seems to occasionally cause problems on other kit guns...

However, the default setup uses a std non-chrome-lined barrel.  I'd recommend - unless you really need to save money - upgrading to a Colt or Bushmaster chrome-lined barrel as they're much easier to clean, last much longer, and corrosion isn't really a worry.

Also you might wanna upgrade your buffer. The std J&T buffer is a black plastic thingy filled with BBs/shot. Works fine, but the std style buffer is the way to go.  Only a few $$ difference.

I would go for J&T esp when compared to other kitgun places (like Sherluk, Model1 Sales, ASA, or Oly Arms).  Service is excellent, good quality, and Jesse & crew stand by their word.

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
J&T has good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I built a 20" A2 2 years ago on an Olympic PCR-98 stripped lower with a kit from J&T.  The kit was very high quality, no junk.  

I now have about 1500 rounds through the gun and it functions flawlessly.  At first I had problems.  But, after learning how to properly lube the bolt carrier, and a little break in, it works great.  

Good luck,
SOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
how do you properly lube the bolt carrier? my JT bolt and b/c arrive tomarow
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I bought a kit from J&T at the Reno Gun Show.  I got there 16" Car kit and absolutely love it!!  I have already put over 500rnds thru it and only had 4 FTFs, all related to the same mag.  Finish is a very nice dark black. I was getting 2" groups at 50yards using iron sights, but I am a very crappy shot with iron sights so I know this upper can shoot much better.  Also the sales people where very knowledgable. I would definitely buy from them again.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
i built 16" car kit from J&T. i love it .i used a dalphon lower,the upper matched the lower and the fit was perfect. the only problem i had was the key bolts came loose on the carrier. fixed it and put 300rds SA 5.56 through it today, worked like charm. ready too build another.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have personaly assembled seven rifles with J&T components and sold about fity kits to costomers with zero complaints. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
2, they are perfect.  Substituted Colt barrels for a small extra charge.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My J&T lower had a tight chamber and they fixed it when I sent it back.

Tight chambers are quite common on kit uppers.

J&T quality is good, the upper has been reliable and accuracy is about 1.25 MOA with iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I put together a 16" CAR J&T kit as well:

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/041/XG/E5/H2/FO83453.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/006/IV/lV/ny/id31791.jpg

I had the barrel cut to an M4 profile. The kit came with an A2 stock, which I substituted with a CAR stock I got at a show. I now have a set of M4 HGs which I like *much* better than the J&T CAR handguards (too thin).

The gun runs like a champ - I shoot SA surplus, Q3131, and IMI M-855.

bwiese,

Funny you got a plastic buffer - my kit came with an aluminum buffer and it gave me zero problems.

Alex
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine had good looking parts. Barrel was not mil spec exterior finish, but actually a black matte that matched the upper nicely. It was the most reliable upper I have ever owned. No failures whatsoever. The quality of the parts was not equal to Bushmaster and the barrel was not chrome lined, but it is a good kit for the money. My advice, however, would be to save a few more bucks and get the Bushmaster.

Customer service from J&T was excellent.  I thought I had some problems with the pins (it was actually a problem with the lower) and they sent out new parts immediately.

I can not really speak as to accuracy, because I am a lousy shot.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
how do you properly lube the bolt carrier? my JT bolt and b/c arrive tomarow

My problem was that I left the bolt and carrier practically dry.  After about 40-50 rounds, I would start to short-cycle.  An instructor at my gun club told me that AR-15 bolt carriers like to be "wet".  Now, I lube the inside and outside of the carrier with CLP.  Now, no more short-cycles.  I'd keep excess oil away from the locking lugs and the breach end of the bolt.  Otherwise, I make sure I can see a layer of CLP.  

Regards,
SOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top