Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 10:13:04 AM EDT
I bought a Ruger KP97DC about three weeks ago, and finally got a chance to shoot it. I haven't shot in two years, and hadn't shot .45ACP in five years. Furthermore, I am a fair-middling shot at best anyway.

Despite unfamiliar hardware and three people's worth of bad shooting habits in one shooter , I was still able to get 90% into the torso, with about 50% into the center two rings at the 7 yard mark. Out at 10 yards, I was still getting solid hits about 60% of the time. That's weak by most of ya'lls standards, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I'm gonna start shooting about 50-100rds a week from here on out (can't afford more right now), so that should tighten up considerably.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!  Where in Tx are you, and where do you shoot?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Spearweasel,

Not bad. About how I started out in September with my KP90. Solid weapons. I got better with practice.

I second Brouhaha's comments. Brouhaha, you're in NWest Hou right? Me and you and GBT need to meet a Carter's sometime and destroy some paper.

Happy Holidays
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I second Brouhaha's comments. Brouhaha, you're in NWest Hou right? Me and you and GBT need to meet a Carter's sometime and destroy some paper.

Happy Holidays

Sounds good Coz...will you be at the shoot in the forest on Sunday?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm actually located in Austin, TX.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought a Ruger KP97DC about three weeks ago, and finally got a chance to shoot it. I haven't shot in two years, and hadn't shot .45ACP in five years. Furthermore, I am a fair-middling shot at best anyway.

Despite unfamiliar hardware and three people's worth of bad shooting habits in one shooter , I was still able to get 90% into the torso, with about 50% into the center two rings at the 7 yard mark. Out at 10 yards, I was still getting solid hits about 60% of the time. That's weak by most of ya'lls standards, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I'm gonna start shooting about 50-100rds a week from here on out (can't afford more right now), so that should tighten up considerably.

I know all the "Ed Brown's," shoot 1" groups (or whatever) at 25 yds  but here's also a theory that one should spend at least half the time shooting from 6'- 10' (torso hits, center-  mass hits, deduct 10 points for a head shot.) If  memory serves me right that's the range of engagement for most hand-gun fights.

Besides I can't shoot 1" groups at 25 yds with any barrel shorter than 16".
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a P97.  Nice little gun and it only cost me about $300.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know all the "Ed Brown's," shoot 1" groups (or whatever) at 25 yds  but here's also a theory that one should spend at least half the time shooting from 6'- 10' (torso hits, center-  mass hits, deduct 10 points for a head shot.) If  memory serves me right that's the range of engagement for most hand-gun fights.

Besides I can't shoot 1" groups at 25 yds with any barrel shorter than 16".

I rarely bother with running the target out that far. If the guy is 25yds away, I'll be under cover or making a hasty exit. If I had some fancy customized .45 racegun, I might, but not with my hunk o' steel Ruger, sans bells and whistles. I figure that if 7yds is good enough for police and CHL quals, it's good enough for me. I generally practice between 5yds and 7 yds. Within that range, I only try head shots for fun.

If I'm practicing serious, I aim only for the center of mass, usually double taps aimed at the black. I want to condition myself so that I instinctively go for the conservative shot, without thinking about it. A real gunfight is no time for hotdogging. I notice that I tend to shoot a wee low at longer ranges, resulting in a lot of abdomen shots at 7-10yds. Fortunately, the second shot in the double tap seems to be a little higher up thanks to recoil. I suspect that would be effective enough in most cases to end the fight.

I also tried a couple magazines worth of off-hand shooting. It's not nearly as accurate of course, but I can still hit torso most of the time in off hand at 5yds. That's reassuring, knowing I'm not helpless if I were to lose the use of my strong arm in a fight.

All in all, it was a pretty satisfying hour of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]

need to meet a Carter's sometime

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL JIH.  I feel the same way about Carter's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top