Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 7:56:29 AM EDT
What is the difference?  I don't own a FAL yet but want to buy one.  From what I can tell, the CETME looks quite similar...  Help me to recognize the difference between the two.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The FAL and the CETME are not similar at all. The Cetme is accually the predesser of the G-3. I really don't know that much about the two, this is just what ive heard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The CETME is the predecessor of the G3 and HK91, as noted.  It is a German designed gun that was developed for the Spanish military.  The big problem with the CETME is finding good quality reproductions.  It is otherwise not a bad rifle.

The FAL is, of course, the the creation of Fabrique Nationale of Belgium, and went on to become the most widely used battle rifle in the free world (although M16 variants are now supplanting it).  It is an excellent design, reliable, shoots well, and easy to strip and maintain.  Coupled with the wide interest and availability of parts and rifles, I would definitely go with the FAL.

Check out www.fnfal.com  (Last time I checked they were having problems with their message board, but it is a great source of info on FALs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I have looked at that site, but have not jumped in yet since I am not yet close, financially speaking, to getting a new toy yet.  

But, when I do, my questions will flood the net.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
USMCsilver, I just posted a topic asking about the FAL/HK/AR and got some good replies.  marvl's reply was an excellent overview.  I'm really leaning toward the FAL myself for a lot of reasons (price, ease of maintenance, etc.).

Check out Dano523's reply on the topic I posted as he has a lot of good input also.

Have you narrowed down price on the FAL?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
CETME's are good for kids, anything with a stock that short is usually named "chipmunk" or "baby's first gun".  Not bad rifles, but where ya' going to find a real length stock?

FAL's are cheaper to repair and find clips for. Wouldn't kick a CETME out of the safe though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#6]
CETME isn't German, it's 100% Spanish.

Designed, of course, by German "refugees" in Spain after WW2, but it's no more German than the original rocket that sent John Glenn into orbit the first time.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Mustang, I have found more FAL stuff in Shotgun News (the paper version) than I could read in a week.  Pick one up and be amazed!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
CETME is precursor to the hkG3 (HK91)
they are both dealyed blowback mechanisms
basically the locking mechanism are roolers that are pushed into recesses on the barrel extention (trunnion)
unpon firing a locking piece that pushes the rollers out into the locked position moves rearward releasing the rollers after the pressure peak has occurred.rearward movement of the bolt follow allowing the rifle to cycle
generally not very finicky as to ammuniton it is fed. just beats the brass up significantly so if you reload this is a consideration..barrel is free floating

FAL is gas operated..therefore less perceived recoil but gas adjustmenst necessary to get proper cycling with different pressure loads..disadvantge in that rear site is fixed to stock and front site of course to barrel so lockup of front to rear (pivots like an AR) is crital...if it doesnt lock the same EVERY time, the sights are off as a result

my preference is the cetme/G3/Hk91 series..i find them to be very dependable (which the FAL is also) and extremely SIMPLE..FAL have bolts and nuts and pieces all over the place whereas G3 have non of that...just a personal preference and for every HK lover you wil find at least one FAL lover

i own a g3 and not a FAL becasue of reasons stated above
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Rich,

Keep in mind the FAL has been used by the armed services of more than 90 countries.  That is testament to how good a rifle it is.  I've not counted the screws, but it's not that many.  It is one of the easiest guns to field strip that I know of.

That's why I own a FAL instead of a G3.

'Course, if I had my druthers, I'd own both.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 1 of each. The CETME is heavier, less ergonomic (lefty challenged grip, reversed safety lever, cocking handle way out front, no last shot hold open), has worse sights, variable workmanship (Century has a LONG track record of screwing these things up, mine, like others, shoots left), more expensive, harder to disassemble mags. It is very reliable (100%), decently accurate but with a crappy trigger, and recoils less (that monster brake has something to do with it).

The Fal is easier to field strip, just as reliable, has better sights but most cheap ones come with a straight comb stock the makes it hard to use the irons, handles better, it's MUCH more lefty friendly, mags are cheap and easy to break down, the gas system lets you tweak for various ammo, and sight mounts are easy to come by. It kicks a bit more, but mine doesn't have a brake and weights a few pounds less.

In my mind, there is no question, the Fal has it all over the CETME. But everyone should have an example of each. The M1A beats them both in accuracy, sights, and ergonomics (for me anyway), but costs a lot more. LAter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top