Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 1:08:42 AM EDT
Durring a tactical reload (with the slide locked back),  why does my G23's slide close when I slam home a new mag?  

This occurs only on full mags, without any touching of the slide lock or pulling the slide back.

Thanks
GS
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing I'd do would be replace the recoil spring. If that doesn't work get somebody to look at the slide stop/ magazines.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Weak slide stop spring.

Does it strip the top round off the new mag?

My early, first imported Glock 17 has done this ever since about 500 rounds, I personally do not mind and when I spoke w/ Glock (Symrna GA) they told me I could send it back for a newer slide stop spring, but I like the fact that when I ram the fresh mag home she's ready to go.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't replace anything!!!!

All Glocks do that to some extent!  There is no defect or problem!
Just enjoy the fact that you don't have to manually release the slide!  It's an added benefit!

If you don't believe me then find a Glock Armoror and ask them!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Red Dragon is right. Nothing wrong. It's a Glock thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my HK's does this on occasion too. I dont consider it to be a flaw - in fact I like it when it does.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
After I read this, I went and got my Glock 23 and it does the same thing. I dont see how it will hurt anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My 27 and 26 do that too...I love it
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One of my HK's does this on occasion too. I dont consider it to be a flaw - in fact I like it when it does.

It even states in the manual on my HK that this is perfectly normal.

I agree, it's actually kinda nice. Especially if you were in a life/death situation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My G21 does the same thing.  Have heard several times on Glock lists that this is typical.  I kinda like it that way.  Especially with the difficulty of using the stock slide release.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Durring a tactical reload (with the slide locked back), why does my G23's slide close when I slam home a new mag?

Let me pick a nit.  Isn't this an "emergency reload," a "tactical reload" is when the slide is *not* locked back and the pistol is still ready to fire?

Just askin' . . .
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#11]
What happened to "Tap-Rack-Bang?"
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#12]
The Austrian's just shortend it to "Tap, Bang".

Damn, foreigners!!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a good thing. Not a sure thing, though.

Also, it's not Tap, Rack, Bang, it's Tap, Rack, and Re-evaluate. When your training has automatic elements in it, you need to consider whether such elements might lead to unwanted rounds being fired.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Believe I read something on glocktalk on the position on the muzzle/gun - seems that if it is lower than parallel it may close - if it parallel to surface or above it tends not to - I personally haven't encountered - probally another chicken and the egg - happy holidays
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Also, it's not Tap, Rack, Bang, it's Tap, Rack, and Re-evaluate. When your training has automatic elements in it, you need to consider whether such elements might lead to unwanted rounds being fired.

Uhm....you can simultaneously be evaluating the need to "Bang" as you are Tapping/Racking...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
There is nothing wrong with your weapon. This is very common and often changing the angle you're holding the weapon at eliminates it. Also...if you are using the slide stop lever to release the slide forward to chamber a round this is WRONG. It is supposed to only be use to lock the slide back...hence factory part name of "slide stop Lever" not slide release. Glock states that you should use you other hand to rack the slide back and then release to chamber a round.

From Glockmeister.com

Q: When the slide is locked back and I slam in a full mag, the slide is released - how can I fix that?
A: There is nothing to fix. When you slam a loaded mag into the gun, the gun is usually at a slight angle with the muzzle up. When you slam in the mag, you cause a slight rearward momentum on the slide and release pressure on the slide stop lever, thus allowing the slide stop lever spring to do its job and return the slide stop lever to the lowered position. If you are still unsure about this - try holding the gun level and steady - jam a loaded mag in now - I'll bet the slide doesn't close now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
JDP,

I'm glad you can multi-task like that, good for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top