Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 7:01:50 AM EDT
ok so i have a purple preban lower that doesnt match anything except barneys butt.  who does the best refinishing that will match my brand new bushy upper? and am i going to have to take the whole lower apart to send it to them?? throw me a frickin bone here!
thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Give BM a call, they told me that I can send mine back for a refinish.

IMO, not worth it, so I kept it purple, and joined the Purple Bushamster club. lol

CB
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
here are some pics:
***resized for your viewing pleasure :)***

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a pre ban Bushmaster purple people shooter too. Upper and lower match just fine. Nice life sized photo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
i called bushmaster
and they reffered me to
National Coatings
@ 904-274-4027 florida?
i called and it says its disconnected
purple is sooooo lame!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
DPMS will re-anodize receivers. I think it's $35.00 per...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it's pretty.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
i called dpms
and their re-amodizong is 45$
and re-teflon is 30$
does a lower need both?
what matches new bm uppers?
the bad news is they said i would have to completely disassemble the lower! (or else pay another 55$ for gunsmithing)
argh! i can do everything but the pins that need to be punched....
this is turning into a very expensive nightmare.
hopefully this %!@*@!*#&$#!*$& thing shoots!

btw the correct # for National Coatings is:
386-274-4027
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#8]
This may help: Bushmaster uses a Hard Anodized Military protective finish A8625, TypeIII, ClassII, Lusterless(Flat, Approximate Black No. 37038 Table IX) with a Nickel Acetate final seal coat.(Prior to Anodizing, the receivers are grit blasted to produce a non reflective matte finish.)-->Taken from Bushmaster specs
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Goodness colinjay, think you could have gotten a bigger photo???

I'm a member of the purple Bushmaster club as well. Only problem is my upper is new and doesn't match at all.

One option is the Metacol III from ARS www.arizonaresponsesystems.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Colin,
This weekend at the gun show I ran across a finishing company that has some beautiful black finishes..they had an older Oly that looked awesome. It was the "blackest" AR I've ever seen,and the nicest finish I've ever seen. All their guns on display looked great.

Anyway, they have a 2 week turnaround and are fairly cheap...$30 for lower and $20 for upper.

I've just sent my AK 47 to be re-finished in that jet "black" coat they have...I cannot wait.If I had'nt already had my AR done...I'd have them do it too.

There website is www.stealth-coat.com

There phone # is 334-540-7025
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Colin,
This weekend at the gun show I ran across a finishing company that has some beautiful black finishes..they had an older Oly that looked awesome. It was the "blackest" AR I've ever seen,and the nicest finish I've ever seen. All their guns on display looked great.

Anyway, they have a 2 week turnaround and are fairly cheap...$30 for lower and $20 for upper.

I've just sent my AK 47 to be re-finished in that jet "black" coat they have...I cannot wait.If I had'nt already had my AR done...I'd have them do it too.

There website is www.stealth-coat.com

There phone # is 334-540-7025

Hope that helps,
NAKED
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#12]
we hates it...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell you what... I'll give you $100 to take that God awful thing off your hands and then you won't have to worry about it. For $150 you might convince me to take the upper, Aimpoint, and rear sight along with it but that might be pushing it....

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ok so i have a purple preban lower that doesnt match anything except barneys butt.  who does the best refinishing that will match my brand new bushy upper? and am i going to have to take the whole lower apart to send it to them?? throw me a frickin bone here!
thanks in advance!

How much do you seriously want for it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#15]
The purple BM stuff will soon be collector items as they were a "minting mistake" that only happened for a very short period of time before the ban.  

Keep that in mind before you do something awful.

If you don't like it, sell it to someone who appreciates it and get a black one. Those are a dime-a-dozen...[:\]

Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i called bushmaster
and they reffered me to
National Coatings
@ 904-274-4027 florida?
i called and it says its disconnected
purple is sooooo lame!

I emailed them, and they refered me to that number.
I've thought about DPMS, but I'm afraid to part with my valuble pre-ban.
I'm learning to love purple
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tell you what... I'll give you $100 to take that God awful thing off your hands and then you won't have to worry about it. For $150 you might convince me to take the upper, Aimpoint, and rear sight along with it but that might be pushing it....

sorry guys,
this pretty purple lady is off the market,
but im just lamenting because her big $$ behind doesn't match my (also spankin new) m4 upper.
its like wearing an armani suit with a pair of marilyn monroe's high heels. both are rediculously expensive but that doesnt mean they go together.
naked's link to stealth-coat sure looks interesting...hmmm, might have to try it out...
oh, and much thanks on those who like the rifle and accs. i sure love it (in a dark room)

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]
i like it!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I just called
386-274-4027
Presision Coating
1901 mason ave suite 109
Daytona Beach FLA 32117

They said it was $75 to hard coat anodize
a stripped lower.
They don't dissasemble the rife.
they can do grey, black or clear.

Grey's got me thinking about my SP-1 !

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
yah, i called top-gun www.stealth-coat.com a bit earlier and got a similar spiel
sounds "maybe" like what im looking for...
if anyone has pics of their finishes i'd be much obliged!!
the lady there said someone on a FAL website by the name of Keith had pics of their finish, but thats all she knew...
tia
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I kinda like the color.

Hell, I'd trade ya for my colt preban lower if I could.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#22]
cj,
I wish I could find a pic..I know it's hard to take someone's word on something. They should put up some pics on their website. Real nice people to talk to. At the gun show, I went across the aisle to a table with AR uppers and lowers....grabbed a "dark" looking Bushy asked the guy could I compare it with the stealth coats across the way...he said yeah.

Sooo, I compared it to the Oly they had...no comparison in "blackness"..the Bushy actually looked reeeeal gray to me. My own persoanl Bushy "looks" black...but, put it against their models...there would be no comparison, especially in the light of day. That was the blackest AR I've ever seen. Thats why my AK is getting done.

I read their pr stuff on their website...sounds like a damn good finish to have just for the protection factor..not to mention the cool color it has. He had some shotgun barrels that were unreal.. He had a Rem. 870 that looked mean as hell...black stock and all.

I'm definitely into the "blackness" thing...can't imagine what a collapsible M4 would look like. Talk about evil incarnate, especially around the range.

maybe they can e-mail some pics..whichever...I'm sold.Period.

NAKED
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Disassemble it, degrease it, put a coat of BBQ grill flat black on it, and GET BACK TO SHOOTIN' IT!  It ain't a piece of art, it's a rifle.    LOL  Just picking on you.  Mine is not purple, but it's not exactly what I'd call black either.  I'm going to paint the whole rifle in a camo pattern anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The purple BM stuff will soon be collector items as they were a "minting mistake" that only happened for a very short period of time before the ban.  

Keep that in mind before you do something awful.

If you don't like it, sell it to someone who appreciates it and get a black one. Those are a dime-a-dozen...[:\]

Nice rifle!

Yeah right !
OK, I also have a purple pre-ban, I'll trade you my "collector item" Purple for your confirmed pre-ban black lower !

Provided, yours is in the same great shape as mine.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I took mine to Walter Birdsong for a 2 tone Green-T and Black-T.

He takes it down completely, and does 2 mags in Black-T with each weapon.

1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, Mississippi 39073
(601) 939-7448
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the contrast in color with the purple. I agree with JDP keep it the way it is, it will be worth more in the long run. You may get ribbed for it now, but think about it in 2015 it may be worth 10x as much.

Besides do you need another reason to pick up another in black?

keep it the way it is.

just my  $0.02
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I know, I know it's my problem to get over but when I hear of a "Purple Bushy" I automatically think some broad has dyed her........receiver.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#28]
i think it looks kind of exotic, i'd keep it.  or if you have a wife give it to her and then she wouldn't have a problem if you had to buy another one to replace it.  better than black i'd go with bearcoat urban camo if i had the cash.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Just GOLD plate the upper and you'll be sporting the colors of royalty.  (Purple and gold)  Are you a Lakers or Kings fan?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just GOLD plate the upper and you'll be sporting the colors of royalty.  (Purple and gold)  Are you a Lakers or Kings fan?

no but i am an LSU fan!

well i think im going with bear-coat, they quoted me $125 for the lower and two mags including takedown/reassembly of the lower (just the pins that need to be punched). i think im going to stick with flat black, but as always im sure ill get suggestions from y'all! Is this a ripoff?? or should i go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top