Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 7:07:02 PM EDT
Well, I read this article, note the quote attributed to state Senate Majority Leader George C. Jepsen:

www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2793814&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7573

I decided to post my own opinion of the article back to the site where provided, and urge you all to do the same.  My comments:

I never cease to be amazed at the inability of our politicians and lawmakers to perform simple reasoning, or to tell the truth, or both.  Often it is difficult to tell which is at play.  I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them as mature, intelligent human beings.  But that often can only lead to the conclusion that they are lying.  So, in the interests of being kind and gentle, I presume they simple lack the simple intelligence God gave a turnip, and are to be treated with pity and charity.  The problem with this latter tact is that the idiots are passing laws as fast as they are able which impinge upon my life, my liberty, and my pursuit of happiness.

A good case in point is the New Haven Register article titled "GUN CONTROL URGED Who needs a rifle this powerful?", which contains the quote "Sept. 11 added a whole new dimension to the .50-caliber issue," said state Senate Majority Leader George C. Jepsen, D Stamford, a longtime gun control advocate who is also running for governor. "There's a growing body of evidence that the .50-caliber is the weapon of choice for terrorists."

As we all know, not a single firearm was used in the September 11th terrorist attacks.  It was box cutters, remember?  As for the .50 caliber rifle being the weapon of choice for terrorists, well, I can just point to the evidence.  In fact, the evidence shows that terrorists use the .50 caliber rifle about as often as they use electric razors, which is about never.  Mr. Jepsen's statement is utter nonsense, as anyone with an I.Q. above room temperature will recognize.  The real problem here is that there are many people, like Mr. Jepsen apparently, whose I.Q.s are below room temperature.

Or maybe he is just lying through his teeth.  Like I said, it is difficult to tell which is at play.

Your comments welcome
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If anything Sept 11th should be a wake up call that more people need 50 cals.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Jepson and Lawler keep bring up gun control to get free publicity and keep their names in the paper in hopes of some day running for governor of Connecticut.  They are clueless and when it comes to firearms.  Maybee some day when they need to defend themselves or their family they'll learn.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  What a surprise!  Another jackass in politics and the morons in the media supporting him!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
We need to start calling these brown, steaming, odoriferous public officials to task for their actions and inaccurate statements.  We need to start voicing our own opinions.  This is not the place, though, cause here were're just preaching to the choir.

I swear, I've got to stop reading the current news section on the home page.  Bad for my blood pressure.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy them while you can, my brothers, they're knocking at the door...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
It is probably true that the 50 caliber is the choice of terrorist weapons.  After all, it sounds big!  It sounds deadly!  It has the name "sniper" on it!  People who care about us think they are bad.

If someone will build a .50 rifle for under $800 I would buy one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Buy them while you can, my brothers, they're knocking at the door...

Agreed! In a few months when the WTC/Pentagon attack fades to the back of the sheeple's mind, the call to ban 50BMG will be fast and furious on the local level.  Those folks will be claiming something like there is a possiblity of a terrorist gaining access to these powerful weapons of war and we need to keep them out of their hands and everyone elses. If got it, you can keep it; otherwise you're pretty much hosed if you don't.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]

If someone will build a .50 rifle for under $800 I would buy one.

I'd already have one except that I wouldn't be able to shoot it at any range around here.  If I wanted a gun that I couldn't shoot, I'd buy a commemorative.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
They are grapping at any gun control "straw" they can find. The goals are to be indeterminate in passing a law. The resulting good (or harm), the new law opposes unto the sheeples is not a factor in their pursuits.
CT_10x hit the hail on the head:
There are tons of civilian sheeples and lobbyists in our country who will wholeheartedly support absolutely anything that infringes on a 2nd Amendment right …..Even if they are rooted and supported in lies.

Lies, Lies, Lies

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

It angers me greatly how  politicians are manipulating the events of  9-11 to support their unrelated agenda.  

"Sept. 11 added a whole new dimension to the .50-caliber issue," said state Senate Majority Leader George C. Jepsen, D Stamford, a longtime gun control advocate who is also running for governor. "There's a growing body of evidence that the .50-caliber is the weapon of choice for terrorists."

Ohhhh, I am pissed now. Time to write another letter.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
What?! The .50 caliber is a rifle cartridge?  I was merely referring to my...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top