Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2001 12:18:38 AM EDT
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/7282.htm

"COPS GET TOP GUNS

By PHILIP MESSING

December 15, 2001 -- EXCLUSIVE

Around 500 patrol cops citywide will soon be armed with new, high-powered guns previously available only to elite special-unit officers, The Post has learned.

snip

The cops will get Mini-14 assault rifles and MP5 submachine guns - semi-automatics capable of firing 30-round clips - as well as 12-gauge shotguns.

snip

Manufactured by Sturm, Ruger & Co. of Southport, Conn., the Mini-14 is a smaller modification of the M-14 rifle, which was used by the U.S. military in the 1950s.

snip

"It is highly reliable at 100 yards and beyond," said one source."

If anybody in NYC had checked ar15.com they would have opted for AR15s rather than the notoriously inaccurate, politically correct Ruger Mini 14.

Also note that the Mini 14 is a "smaller modification of the M-14 rifle" according to the author and the Post. I believe that that is a stretch unless you are from Madison Avenue, NY Post, or Ruger.

If NYC had opted for AR15's we would have NYC's finest visiting and sharing info here which would be good.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh no, NYC's finest couldnt be seen with evil, baby killing, civil rights oppressing, destroying a block and a half with a full magazine rifle, because then the peons might want them for themselves.  They can, on the other hand, own a rifle that fires the same round, from the same capacity magazines, yet its not a evil, baby killing, civil rights oppressing, destroying a block and a half with a full magazine rifle.  Political decisions, gotta love 'em.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
From 100 yards away, the Mini 14 *might* look like a small M-14.

And, i have to agree that it is reliable from 100 yards away.  Mine never jammed when I was 100 yards from it.  The funny thing is, though, mine takes magazines.  How come the police can have 30 round clips, and I can only have 30 round magazines??!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That article kinda hit me wrong... I decided to send a quick note to the online editor...

Anyhow here is the message I sent... Feel free to correct any errors you see! I am going to wait a few minutes before I send it out

Good afternoon,

I found a post on a forum about MR. Messing's article. While interesting that NYPD officers will be fully armed to meet any of today's problems; I have a problem with the fact that the language in his article is rather, and I am at a loss for words here, gaudy.

The Ruger MINI-14 is not an Assault Weapon. It is a rifle designed to meet the needs of Police Officers in Rural Areas of the Country. While similar in operation and exterior design it has little similarities to the M-14 which WAS a 7.62mm Battle Ready and Tested Firearm. The MINI-14 does accept MAGAZINES ranging from 5 to 30 rounds.

Equally the HK MP5 is an Assault Weapon. In every fashion of the sense... Fully Automatic with Semi-Automatic and Three-Round Burst Capability it has served in many countries and in many different conflicts. Unfortunately the 9mm round from the MP5 does not have the range or power of the 5.56mm Round shot from the MINI-14. It is pure ballistics in that respect.

While I understand the most people are not extremely knowledgeable in firearms this is basic information available to anyone even online. A basic use of researching skills could of found this data and would have given people a slightly less dramatic article where the use of anti-gun slang words would not be as prevalent.

Thank you for your time and please feel free to forward this message to Mr. Messing.

_________

LMK
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if Bill Ruger is crapping in his drawers after reading that his "baby" is an "evil high powered assault weapon" LMAO[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That article kinda hit me wrong... I decided to send a quick note to the online editor...

Anyhow here is the message I sent... Feel free to correct any errors you see! I am going to wait a few minutes before I send it out

Good afternoon,

I found a post on a forum about MR. Messing's article. While interesting that NYPD officers will be fully armed to meet any of today's problems; I have a problem with the fact that the language in his article is rather, and I am at a loss for words here, gaudy.

The Ruger MINI-14 is not an Assault Weapon. It is a rifle designed to meet the needs of Police Officers in Rural Areas of the Country. While similar in operation and exterior design it has little similarities to the M-14 which WAS a 7.62mm Battle Ready and Tested Firearm. The MINI-14 does accept MAGAZINES ranging from 5 to 30 rounds.

Equally the HK MP5 is an Assault Weapon. In every fashion of the sense... Fully Automatic with Semi-Automatic and Three-Round Burst Capability it has served in many countries and in many different conflicts. Unfortunately the 9mm round from the MP5 does not have the range or power of the 5.56mm Round shot from the MINI-14. It is pure ballistics in that respect.

While I understand the most people are not extremely knowledgeable in firearms this is basic information available to anyone even online. A basic use of researching skills could of found this data and would have given people a slightly less dramatic article where the use of anti-gun slang words would not be as prevalent.

Thank you for your time and please feel free to forward this message to Mr. Messing.

_________

LMK

If they have the GB model it is an assault rifle, and they could have ac556. But they dont.
Oh yeah, the mini14 is a sporting rifle for the public
GG
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't mind me, I was just Messing with you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't call a mini-14 a "Top Gun."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top