Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2001 6:41:06 AM EDT
OK..got a chance to see the gun today. Sweet sixteen,no vent rib,no cracked hand or buttstocks, can't find a manu date on it. It is an older gun,and light as hell. Has the goldlike trigger. Needs to be re-blued. No bad scratches or nicks on barrel and bolt assembly metal.

It has been used over the years...but, pretty good condition...any "ballpark" asking prices??? My friend is taking it down to the gun show tomorrow to try and get some cash for a black rifle..go figure. And I don't won't him to get screwed.

Thanks, and help,
NAKED
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]

semi-auto spring-loaded

HUH? The Auto 5 Browning is a RECOIL operated shotgun. Ball point pens are spring-loaded. You haven't said anything as the gun's condition or features. Is it the standard model Auto 5, or is it the lightweight Sweet Sixteen? Is it the older type with the safety in front of the trigger guard and undesirable 2 9/16" chamber, or is it of the post-war crossbolt safety type? How is the bluing worn? Has the stock been cut for the addition of a recoil pad? Has a Polychoke or Cutts compensator been added to the barrel? Is the barrel plain, vent ribbed, or solid ribbed? What is the length of the barrel? Is the forend cracked? There is no such site as you seek and you haven't provided enough information to provide even a remote guess, which is all that can be given without actually examining the gun. Let common sense guide you and your pal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT...help!
NAKED
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's as worn as you say, between $300 and $400. It's worth that much because it's a Sweet Sixteen, they hold a slight premium over standard Belgian Auto 5s.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#5]
About sixty days ago I paid $450.00 for one that sounds as if it's in a little better shape.

I'd J. Dandy is just about on target for the shotgun as described.

On the few I've seen the manuf. date can only be
verified by the serial number referenced to a book.
If the manuf. date becomes important let me know and I can get that for you with the serial number.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Gold triggers didn't appear until 1957 and the buttstocks had round knob pistol grips until about 1967 (flat knob after that). Browning's website lists a method of ciphering the serial number. I don't know why this is important, it's not a car.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have another Browning 16 gauge, not a "Sweet Sixteen,"that was manufactured in 1924 (as I recall) the first year of production (Those made in 1923 were given away to pol's, etc,) and that is important to "me.".
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks sub and JDandy!
I'm guessing now at about $400...if I had more time I'd look at serial and try to i.d. it's manuf. date.

Off to the gunshow...I've got to get some "clips"..snicker..snicker..errrr..mags! For the Bushy...and the Oly/DPMS. They need some lovin'...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top