Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 4:10:17 PM EDT
Has anybody had any experience with the Special Weapons SW45?  Supposedly it is an H&K "copy" made in the US.  I'm still on my quest to find a good .45ACP carbine.  Maybe this is it, maybe it isn't.  A little pricey, but need to see how it performs and feels.

Any input?  Much appreciated, as always.

-Ed
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man.  You obviously don't know about SW.  In an attempt to keep their owner for suing me (which he seems to threaten to do to everybody), I recommend you do a search for SW or Special Weapons or SW5.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Squib,

I have zero experience with Special Weapons.  However, I lurked quite a while on several BBS sites that are home to H&K fans prior to purchasing some H&K products.

I did not see the flame wars nor do I know the truth of it.  All I know is that most people in the know seem to steer clear of Special Weapons.  You might get a good one, you might not.  And if not, I have heard service can be a problem.

You might try posting this question on the following sites:

www.hkpro.com/
subguns.biggerhammer.net/

And maybe follow the links from these sites to other places that focus on the H&K style weapons.

Goodluck.

James
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want a good .45 carbine try the HK USC. It's an excellent firearm, reliable and accurate. It's magazines are limited to 10 rounds, but Cavalry Arms is working on a mod for it to accept Grease Gun mags.

Another choice is getting a semi-auto (or full if you want to go class 3) Mac 10 in .45 and get the carbine upper for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up on Special Weapons.  Looks like they're not producing the SW45 anymore anyway.

SMProud - I have spoken to three or four people about the USC, and have only heard bad things about is so far.  They have said that accuracy isn't what it should be, and that the frame is not "user friendly" (comfortable).  What are your experiences with it?  I was hoping there would be a range in the area that would have one for rent, but no luck so far.  Anyone in the northern VA area (around the NRA HQ range) have a USC and would be willing to meet me for a test firing?  heh  I really like the looks of the USC, and would readily buy one if it functions and feels good.  (and when I get the money =))

I would jump on the AR15 .45 uppers, but the ones I have seen use modified mags from Stens or Uzis or something.  I don't know if this is done to get magazines over 10rnds or due to manufacturing costs, but I'm still a little shy of modified mags, both for reliability and availability.  Could be unfounded, just my initial feeling.

Maybe I could get Glock to build a neat little carbine that accepts G21 magazines.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a Thompson clone from Auto Ord. You'll have a classic that looks super sweet and the mags are cheap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Wierd. Most of the 'comfort' or 'user friendly' complaints I've heard were about the SL8 rather than the USC. Then again, most of what I've heard on the SL8/USC is the tired old 'well, if it doesn't have hi-cap mags, it fuken sucks'. Yawn.

Total average from what I've researched and read is that you should expect 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with the USC. Not perfection, but I think pretty accurate for what it is. Guess you need to pin down what you are using it for. If you're looking for a plinker, try to find a slightly used USC...should be able to find one for about 900 or so. If you are looking for something more serious, I'd think of looking elsewhere.

The SW's will definitely, I think, not fit your needs. Not bashing them, but every experience I've come across says that SW's are good for plinkers and nothing more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't personally shot the USC. I'm in the process of saving up to get one. From what everyone says on the HKPro boards, it's a very accurate firearm. The only complaint I've heard about comfort is that the grip is kinda big and can be uncomfortable to the web of the hand. The kit being developed by Cavalry Arms will replace the current grip with an AR-15 type grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top