Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 4:28:58 PM EDT
Hello people,
My question is how the hell does one clean the accumulated varnish from the chamber of a weapon which has fired hundreds of varnish coated/sealed ammo? (Like that Russian stuff)
I've heard some nasty consequences to using such ammo and the build-up of varnish.
Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try a citrus based cleaner such as Goo Gone for a conservative start.  If that doesn't work, get some xylene, acetone, mek, or another solvent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a green pad like the one on the back of a sponge. Get a dowel and cut a notch in one end. Insert a cut portion of green pad in the dowel rod, put the other in a drill. Insert in chamber and let the drill do the work. I know this is not clear but is the best I can do.
GG
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Never done it myself, but you can try the following until you find one that will remove the stuff:

1) mineral spirits / paint thinner
2) lacquer thinner
3) brake cleaner
3) acetone / MEK

Be careful not to let this stuff get on any plastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top