Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 8:31:09 PM EDT
Don't believe there is an aftermarket heat shield for a Benelli M1S90, but if there is let me know.
Also interested if anyone has made a heat shield of there own, or modified an existing one from another shotgun to fit the Benelli.

Yes, I have grabbed a warm barrel or two in my time...
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You can use a mossberg 590 heatshield with minor modification to the plastic shim block which holds the two srews on the front of the shield. Order a parkerized version...it looks better. As a side note when I did this little project the gun was equiped with a surefire tac light forend. Be warned that the Benelli being an inertia operated gun can be fussy when extra weight is added. If you use the gun for L.E. work or the like test fire it first. If you have problems shoot a heavier load.
hotgun.gif
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can use a mossberg 590 heatshield with minor modification to the plastic shim block which holds the two srews on the front of the shield. Order a parkerized version...it looks better. As a side note when I did this little project the gun was equiped with a surefire tac light forend. Be warned that the Benelli being an inertia operated gun can be fussy when extra weight is added. If you use the gun for L.E. work or the like test fire it first. If you have problems shoot a heavier load.

Thank you, I believe I will try this.  Any suggestions on where to locate a Moss. heat shield?  Also how much?

Yes, I'm am very aware of how choosy my Benelli is with loads.  I have a pro-ported M1 with a surefire and sidesaddle, so I have to do a lot of shooting to find the perfect loads, but with the appropriate ammo, this is the best shotgun around IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
One more question as I have never had a heatshield on a shotgun.

How do these typically connect?  Is it metal on metal, or is there a plastic or other buffer material between the heat shield and bbl?  I don't want to do this if it will tear my bbl to hell.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The shield can be ordered from most dealers or probably direct from mossberg. Call them and ask. As to your mounting question the rear end of the shield is a spring steel 3/4 crescent affair that grabs the barrel under spring tension. The front is held on with 2 bolts that run under the barrel through a plastic spacer. I didn't encounter any melting problems with this block. It will need to be "fitted" to work with the benelli and a dremmel tool seems to work well for this. A handy individual could always manufacture another type of mounting block for the front too. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
As to cost I think they are like 20-25 bucks. They do connect metal to metal but if installed tightly they dont move so wear marks are limited. I suppose a guy could use some sort of tape under the shield to protect the metal from wear also. I know where you are coming from with that question. I use my equipment but I always baby it in the down time. You HAVE to take care of your toys!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
AMHsix, I will consider your advise.  I figure it is worth at try if I can find one for around $25.  If it looks like it will tear up my bbl, I'm not out too much cash.  

If it works, I'll keep it on anyway, plus I shoot the Benelli a lot so I'm not overly concerned with wear and tear as long as it is not extensive.

I've never had a problems with my mag extension except maybe under the mounting bracket, but I never see under that unless I'm breaking it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top