Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 6:50:36 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has ever powdercoated any gun or gun part and how it came out.  The owner of the powdercoat company said that they have powdercoated several guns and the finish is very tough.
Anyone have any experience with powdercoating?

I am thinking about powdercoating a spare ar15 upper as a test.  He said he would do it for $10-$15.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done gun parts, mags, stock metal, sights but never a barrel. The parts come out nice. I used flat black. I don't know how well the powdercoat will stand up to the heat of a barrel.

Powdercoat is basicly a powder that get sprayed on the part. The part is heated to 350 for 20 minutes. The powder melts and bonds to metal. I don't know what happens if the part is reheated to 350.

You will not get a blue type finish. But the finish will be strong. Make sure the metal is prep first.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
P.S. $15 is a great deal. Will the guy take mail orders? I did all mine through a company I used to work for. The places in Ca want around $50
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone has ever powdercoated any gun or gun part and how it came out.  The owner of the powdercoat company said that they have powdercoated several guns and the finish is very tough.
Anyone have any experience with powdercoating?

I am thinking about powdercoating a spare ar15 upper as a test.  He said he would do it for $10-$15.

Yes.  I use an aerosol powdercoat from www.Brownells.com that is a teflon/moly epoxy.  Sprays on, bakes to a very tough finish; not as tough as manganese phosphate, mind you, but eminently serviceable.  The secret is to thoroughly degrease and bead blast the object to be coated, and use several very thin layers, drying thoroughly before the baking process.  Which will really stink up the house, by the way, do it when the wife/GF is out.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the stuff from brownells. It does good on a barrell but it does not seem to stick to alluminum very good.

89hawk-I don't know if they will take mail orders.  I will ask them next time I go in there.  I make deliveries there sometimes.  I was there with a package and I just asked if they could powdercoat alluminum.  The guy said it was no problem and then he showed me the whole set up of how they do everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top