Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2001 1:45:47 PM EDT
I'm a deputy in nc and have a Beretta(not by choice)96 with the Leo 11rd mags and it has stopped locking back after the last round is fired. I have tried other magazines and the problem is still there.i was issued it nib in January 2000 and haven't had a problem till recently.eany help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
First, does the gun lock back if you retract the slide with any empty magazine? If so, it could be a problem with the mainspring not letting the gun fully slide back.  However, this is highly unlikely.  Also, how many mags have you tried?  If you have tried at least three or four mags with the same result, then the problem is probably with the slide release lever (SRL).  Remove the slide from the frame, and check to make sure that the SRL functions properly up and down.  There is a spring which forces the SRL back down to keep the SRL from locking the action back during firing.  Next, with the slide still off, insert an empty magazine.  Check to see if the magazine forces the SRL up in to the locking position, which means it will be moved up about 1/8 -1/4".  If it doesn't, then the SRL is your problem.  The follower in the magazine catches a post on the SRL inside the magazine well, forces it up, which will lock the action back. Sounds like you may need a new one.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried all that and I've tried 4 different mags.it still does it.if you pull the slide to the rear it locks it good but if you fire it it doesn't catch.when I got it new it worked fine and I've been using the same ammo(ranger 180gr)i also tried some 155 corbons and it still want lock.if I cant figure it out img going to call Beretta about it.thanks for your help
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you oil the slide?  One drop of Militec-1 on each slide rail could solve your problem.  You could also try a slightly weaker spring ...or some hotter ammo.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey GCSDBORR,

Are you a 1911 shooter?  If you shoot high thumbs you have to be REALLY REALLY careful not to even touch the slide release.  The thing only takes a tiny bit of pressure to keep the slide from locking back after the last shot.

Try shooting it again and don't even get NEAR that slide release.  Let me know if this helps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello GCSDBORR,
Your problem could be a weak or broken slide release spring. OR maybe the small tab of metal on the slide release, the part that contacts the magazine follower after the last round is fire, is broken off. Your department's firearms tech should be contacted to fix any problems and document what that problem was. The Beretta factory representatives often will follow up when notified of problems.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Problem solved. Thanks skunk that was the problem.I had a friend show me that I could shoot better that way but I was using my Glock at the time and never noticed it affected my Beretta.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top