Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 7:57:11 AM EDT
Looking for a semi-auto in .38 Special, semi-auto, single stack in "Commander" size.  (Carry-gun)
Any ideas ??
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Make up your mind, special or super. Kimber has an excellent .38 super and colt has a couple also, In .38 special you have the model 51, beleive it single stack only shoots wadcutters thought but probably one of the most accurate weird guns you can buy.
GG
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Forget 38 super for carry.....too much hassle......go with 40 or 45.....your choices then are numerous and available......IF you have to be different......suggest a glock in 10mm......
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Forget 38 super for carry.....too much hassle......go with 40 or 45.....your choices then are numerous and available......IF you have to be different......suggest a glock in 10mm......

Why too much hassle? A .38 super is basically a .357 mag. but an auto loader.
GG
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
G. Guru and guys sorry for the incomplete post.  What I'm looking for is a .38 Super.
All things being equal such as price I would really like to have something that will handle .38 Super +P.
I'm pretty much a proponent of high velocity going back to the old ArmaLite AR-15/M-16.

One guy has Sig 220 in .38 Super that sounds pretty good.  I'm just so old fashioned I hate to have anything without a manual safety pointing at my arm pit or my tiny pecker !
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Woo Wee, a 220 in 38 super, if I was you, I would get over that saftey thing.
GG
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
G.G., the guy wants $550. which is neither good nor real bad.
I take it this would be a go for you ??

Pistol is about 95% with some sharp edge wear.  As I'm going to carry it anyway this wear doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
$550 is a fair price as you said if you get two mags. I would try $525, all he can say is "No". I know the round is an oldie but it is a goodie.
GG
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1st year production LW commander as my carry gun. Meets my needs.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks very much for the advice.  I do get two mags with the gun.  Although the guy seems unaware I'm almost certain this 220 has the K-Kote finish and that adds about $40.00.

Guess I'm off the deal and wheel.

Thanks again to all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, it’s your money.  I’d prefer the .357 Sig.  It’s a bit more powerful than the .38 Super and is available in more guns.  The only disadvantage is that you’d lose a round in mag capacity compared to the .38 Super.

Given a choice between a cocked and locked 1911 pointing at my body parts and a Sig 220, I’d take the Sig.

If your going to buy the 220, you might want to check and make sure the frame rails aren’t cracked.  I don’t know if this happens with 220’s, but it was fairly common on the real old 226’s.  

Simply remove the slide and look for lengthwise cracks along the rails near the where the ejection port is located.  Typically, it’s a single crack on the right hand (ejection port side) rail running inside the top edge of the groove cut into the frame, maybe one-half to one inch in length.  Cracks can be pretty hard to see.  

(If you know what your doing, the easiest way to check for this is to remove the locking insert and look at the inside of the frame rails.  However, locking inserts are tricky to fool with.)

The early 220’s came with heel mounted magazine releases.  I assume the one you’re looking at has a side mounted magazine release (like a 1911), otherwise, its overpriced.  

The old K-Kote was pretty lousy; but so was the blue.  If this pistol is at 95%, it probably wasn’t used much.

Don’t get me wrong, the 220 is a great gun.  I’d love to have one myself (though definitely in .45)!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
199, my FFL is also a master gunsmith and he cleans and checks every gun I buy.  I'll have him check the rails.

Yes I checked to make sure the mag release was American (side) and not European (bottom).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top