Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2001 11:19:57 PM EDT

I am looking to buy myself an M1 Garand for Christmas. I am aware of the CMP program, and plan on buying one this summer after I qualify (my club's matches are in the spring-fall months). I am an impatient man however, and want to buy a very-good condition 100% USGI shooter. I don't need a rifle that is has all of the "correct" parts, and I don't mind a post-war example, but I do want a rifle that is good to go with minimal throat and muzzle erosion, very good+ bore, and a very good condition stock. I am prepared to spend around $1,000 for the rifle.

I figure for my first M1 I want a rifle I can trust, and can learn the ins and outs of without having to spend lot's of time and money troubleshooting and restoring.

I know that Springfield armory is selling them now, but I want a USGI piece.

Does anybody have any experience with Orion 7 Garands? Do they rate their rifles accurately? Are there any other dealers I should be aware of? I have a dealer that I have worked with in the past that can do the transfer for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The current crop of Springfield Armory, inc. guns are all USGI except the receiver, which is licensed contract Berda.  The Italian receivers, Berda and Beretta, are recognized as some of the finest ever produced.  They built them for Italy and other countries (like Denmark, where these came from) after the war.  

The Italian guns are as good or better than USGI.  If you just want a shooter that fits all your requirements, then you would not be doing bad to get one of these.  You'd also have a neat conversation piece, and since you intend to get a CMP later next year, you won't miss out on a genuine USGI.

SA,inc. did make cast receiver M-1s a few years ago, and will be manufacturing some new receiver guns in the future.  Just know which you're looking at.  The Italian guns will say Berda or Beretta on them.(I think all the SA,inc guns are Berda)

Orion 7 is a fantastic company.  I would not hesitate to do business with them again.  I do not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.   I purchased an M-14 kit from them, and it was exactly what I wanted.  They had it shipped out that afternoon.  It was like they read my mind or something.  Each part was exactly what I wanted, right down to the type of handguard and stock.  While I haven't bought any of their Garands, I would assume that their customer service extends to that arena as well.

Ross
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Good info on M1 Garands, Also they are one of the best companys that will make any M1 the way you want it.
www.fulton-armory.com
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Chris --

Wait.  It'll be worth it.

Orion will supply you with a very nice rifle at a large premium over what you really want, as will Fulton Armory.  Don't buy into "Match" M1 Rifles, they've not won the National Matches in a long, long time.

Got a DD214?  Don't need to fire a "match" if you have one.  Unless your club is CMP-Affiliated it doesn't count anyway.

CMP doesn't officially take "requests" but in fact will try to fill your order if there's one on the next pallet.  I asked for a "serial under 2,000,000 to ensure I got a WW2 rifle which might have seen combat.  They sent an all Springfield M1 in the 900,000 series (1942).  Was almost "all correct."   Came with a new, post war HRA trigger group, but another correspondent of mine who received his rifle the same week got an all HRA rifle with a 1942 SA trigger group.   Ummmmm.  $3.25 each for UPS costs and we were both in business.

Other than a Winchester front sight, and a M14 rear sight (meters and all) the rifle was all 1942 SA.  Couple more easy swaps, a couple of ignored internal parts which were replaced "during WW2," and she's as she's as she went ashore with 1st Ranger Battalion in North Africa late that year.  How do I know that?  That's her story and she's sticking to it.  :-).

Yeah, a complete Orion or Fulton rifle would have been easier, but not as much fun.  The wait is like waiting for Christmas as a kid.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks guys...

RAF, no offense taken. I have been struggling with that question. When I factor in my time, and desire to make sure my first Garand is a nice servicable example, I figure it is worth the added expense.

I don't buy my firearms as investments, I buy them to shoot and enjoy.

Flashbang1, I have bought parts from Fulton Armory in the past, and I like them. However, the Garands they sell have new stocks, and are a bit out of my price range.

Thanks again,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Chuck,

Thanks for the advice.

It's exactly the kind of sage advice that my father gives me that I listen to carefully, think about, then go and contradict 5 minutes later.

My end of the year budget is kind of like a city's. If I don't use it it will go somewhere else the next fiscal year (probably new furniture for the wife). I have been debating about purchasing an FAL or a Garand. As I believe the M1 has much more personality than an FAL, that decision was easy.

I am not ex-military, so my only option is a CMP match (my club is affiliated). I plan on shooting my bushy DCM this summer and compete for the first time.

Cheers,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top