Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 12:04:00 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen one of these?  My friend just got one for $900 new (he says).  Is this a good price and if not, what is?  
Does anyone know how they stack up to other AR-type weapons as far as reliability and accuracy (given the shorter bbl length and lack of a stock).  How do they compare to the Carbon-15 pistols?  
As far as legality, what uppers/bbls can be put on legally since it is considered a pistol?
Is there such a thing as a holster for this weapon? :)
TIA
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like some more details....

Is this a Semi auto, Pump, Bolt Action, or what?

If it is Semi Auto....  is it a single shot, does it have a perminatly mounted magazine, does it look like swiss cheese, is it carbon fiber?

Are you sure you are talking about a POST BAN?

I didn't know DPMS is making a new AR-15 pistol but I would love more details if they are!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Went to DPMS and it list for $1500 plus. Your friend got a good deal. Still, other than Gee-Wiz, what's it good for. Says it's a pump action pistol??
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me clarify . . . he said he got it new in box, not necessarily recently manufactured.  It is not carbon fiber, it looks to be all metal, and it is a semi-auto, not a pump.  It takes regular 30-round magazines.  I am not sure it qualifies as "pre- or post-ban" under the AW ban, as it is a pistol, not a rifle (therefore it cannot be an assault rifle, right?)
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!

A "Semiautomatic Assault Weapon" is defined by the law (Section 921 (a) (30), Title 18 U.S.C.) to include semiautomatic pistols as follows...

A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip.

2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer.

3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.

4. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded.

5. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

Therefore, your friend needs to confirm that this PISTOL is in fact a pistol that was manufactured and assembled prior to the September 13, 1994 effective date of the crime bill.  If it wasn't assembled before that time, it is an illegal Semiautomatic Assault weapon as defined by the crime bill!

Obviously, MOST AR-15 pistols include #1, #2, #3, and #4 above but I don't think #5 applies.  Then again, some ATF agent might even try to make the argument that #5 would apply as well?

Therefore, you are back to my original post as to the ways that I know how to get around this law and make a legal ar-15 PISTOL.  I hope this helps....  More details at old.ar15.com/legal/preORpost.asp.  If this is a POST BAN AR-15 pistol, there are a couple easy fixes which include removing the gas tube to make it Bolt-Action or relpacing the mag release nut with a standard nut which will require tools to remove the magazine (Load from inside with stripper clips).

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The pistol is PUMP ACTION, just like an 870 Remington shotgun, AW CRAP does not apply!!!! ONLY to semi-auto firearms. DPMS also offers a "PUMP" rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The pistol is PUMP ACTION, just like an 870 Remington shotgun, AW CRAP does not apply!!!! ONLY to semi-auto firearms. DPMS also offers a "PUMP" rifle.

No... It's SEMI AUTO as per stated above!  Read the thread again!  I was the one that ASKED if it was the DPMS pump action!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top