Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 7:57:29 PM EDT
I had found 2 auctions on ebay for 30rd USGI mags 2 for $19.99 buy it now. I bought buy it now on both auctions and emailed him. he says he has 21 more 30's and 4 20's will take $10 each for all of em. I say fine I will take em all and get MO order to you. 8hrs later get the

Someone offered me Several hundred more for those Mags.....probably ALOT more than they are worth actually, I am saving the Mags that you actually bought in the Auction with buy it now even though they seemed to have been deleted from Ebay. I hate to pull this deal from you but its xmas and I REALLY could use the Money. Dont be too pissed and if you dont want the other Mags I totally understand.
I am so freakin mad I about picked up my monitor and threw it out the window! I told him I wold take the 4 I bought off auction.
what do you think guys?
would any of you do this?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not in a million years.

"Break a deal, face the wheel"

Any chance you'll post the auction # or the sellers I.D.?

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]

I guess MONEY changes a nice, ethical to a**hole, unethical scum. Definitely hate those type of people.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

both auctions were pulled by ebay, Id rather not post his ID, dont see what good it would do.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not right!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

both auctions were pulled by ebay, Id rather not post his ID, dont see what good it would do.

It would warn others that this guy ain't right and you probably shouldn't do business with him.

But it is the X-mas season, maybe you're in a forgiving mood.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If a persons word is not good, what else is there?
Steve
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#7]
To be completely honest...........YES, I probably would change my mind and sell them to the other guy.  After all it is several $100 more we are talking about here!!  Plus, you two only had a verbal agreement, money was not yet sent, and the seller did keep the deal with the original 4 mags.  Plus he had the common decency to e-mail you.

Now I know this sounds very gready on my part but at least I am being honest, and I truely wonder how many people out there truely wouldn't do the same if they really were in that situation.

Just my honest .02 cents opinion..........

.........unless of course until someone offers me more

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Before we had lawyers in the middle of everything, a verbal agreement was as good as gold.
Steve
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#9]
doesn't comonlaw say that a verbal agreement is all that is need for any transaction under $500.  I bet if you sue him in small claims court he won't do it again.
john
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]
By the same token... you being the much more intelligent of the two when it comes to current market prices for GI Mags (as all AR15.com members are). Would you feel like you were taking advantage of him for knowing they are worth more than he was selling them for.

Just playing devils advocate here.... I too am pissed that someone backed out of a verbal deal with me over the trade of my Beta C-Mag for 20 NIW USGI Mags. But he shall remain nameless.... for now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I've bought a few for $10-$15 each. For 25 mags in one shot he could possibly get a break on the price.
The other dude then admitted that he is selling them for more than they are worth. This implies that he knows the going price for them.
Steve
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#12]
A few weeks back on another board someone posted that they wanted to trade AR 30 rounders for FAL mags. I emailed him informing him that I would happily trade him some FAL mags which sell for 5$ for AR mags that sell for 3x the price. I told him to call or email DSA and buy some 5$ mags and sell his ar mags. He never even emailed me back a reply, he could have atleast said thanks. I wish I had taken the trade in someways. I think a deal is a deal the seller could have atleast sold some of the mags at the original price IMHO.

Ropes
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
By the same token... you being the much more intelligent of the two when it comes to current market prices for GI Mags (as all AR15.com members are). Would you feel like you were taking advantage of him for knowing they are worth more than he was selling them for.

I dont give a rats A$$ about the market price. I'll not buy any at all before I pay $20 for a used mag.
I have never paid more than $11 for any used mag and probably never will. those people paying $20 for a used mag just keep the prices high.
IF I were to pay $20 for a mag it would be A NIB green followered one thats for sure.
thats ok I still got a deal for those 4 from him plus a deal with another guy for 2-30's and a 20 for $23 shipped, my kinda prices.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
To be completely honest...........YES, I probably would change my mind and sell them to the other guy.  After all it is several $100 more we are talking about here!!  Plus, you two only had a verbal agreement, money was not yet sent, and the seller did keep the deal with the original 4 mags.  Plus he had the common decency to e-mail you.

Now I know this sounds very gready on my part but at least I am being honest, and I truely wonder how many people out there truely wouldn't do the same if they really were in that situation.

Sgtar15

so your word means nothing?  do you ever look in the mirror and see a POS?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My word is definitely worth more to me then a couple of hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#16]
KBPERF,

You should at least leave negative feedback about the guy on ebay as a warning to others.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#17]
The whole idea behind ebay is honesty.  If you settled the deal with email then it was a written contract, not verbal.  Anyway, people need to back up their mouth.  If I tell someone something then I do it.  If your not as good as your word your worthless.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Everyone respects an honest seller, and will continue to do business with him. Everyone hates an "indian giver" and will try to never deal with this type of scum again. I have bought and sold items before on ebay, and many time, found sellers that are willing to make a deal on items not listed on the crappy ebay site. If a deal is struck, and a better offer comes along, the seller is obligated to sell you his goods at the agreed upon price... regardless. You as the buyer are obligated to offer a fair price, and required to pay in a reasonable period of time. Period. This is what free trade is all  about. I would imagine that another bidder who lost the mag sale to you contacted the seller and said:

"...I'll take any extra mags you got for the same price? Deal, huh?"

and the seller said, "... well, I sorta already sold them to this other guy for $X. But, If you are willing to offer more, I'll sell them to you..."

Since this happened to a sale "outside" ebay, you cant complain to ebay about what he did, [not that this would do any good.] But I'd bet the rest of us would like to know a dealer to avoid in the future.

I would tell the guy what a  2 faced indian giver he is for not honoring his commitments to sell to you at the agreed upon price, and inform him you will never do business with him again and that you will tell everyone you know to avoid doing business with him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#20]
You could always get his Ebay account yanked for 2 reasons:

1.  He backed out on a deal.  That's a No-No.

2.  He is selling hicap mags on Ebay.  That's a No-No.

I had someone here back out because I was a few hours late on sending a payment!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

That's pretty weak, sarge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#22]
even though I used buy it now and won the auctions, when ebay saw them they deleted them, it no longer exists, "item not valid page" so I cant leave negative feedback.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Weak and POS for being honest??  I don't think so!!  I highly doubt some of you would do any differntly if you were in the same boat!  I may be wrong(doubtful), but experience has shown me that what a person says and what a person does is often two differnt things.  I just answered honestly....I view it as capitalism....nothing less or nothing more.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Weak and POS for being honest??  I don't think so!!  I highly doubt some of you would do any differntly if you were in the same boat!  I may be wrong(doubtful), but experience has shown me that what a person says and what a person does is often two differnt things.  I just answered honestly....I view it as capitalism....nothing less or nothing more.

Sgtar15

POS and weak for being honest?  You view it as capitalism?  You obviously weren't raised right... Making a deal with someone only to screw them over for the opportunity to line your pockets with a little more change isn't honest.  

Auction the mags to the highest bidder, that's capitalism.  Make a deal with someone then back out... that's something only a scumbag with no morals or pride would do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
"POS and weak for being honest?"

Sir, the "being honest" you refer to was that you'd break your word after making a deal.

And you can "highly doubt" that I wouldn't do the same thing all you want, but I don't and wouldn't.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#26]
It's pathetic.  If you give your word, you don't renig.

KBPERF,
Post his Ebay name.  I, and others, who buy stuff on there all the time would appreciate not giving this guy our business.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I have to agree that if you make an agreement, you don't break it.  The seller should understand the value of what he is selling as opposed to making a deal and breaking it for a higher bidder.  The transaction was a private sale, NOT an auction, so it should not have been cancelled.

I would suggest contacting eBay about his conduct.  After all, you only have trust to rely on when buying from an auction website.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

A bid on an eBay auction is a legally binding contract - read the fine print sometime. If the deal had gone the other way, with KBPERF deciding that he no longer wanted to buy the 4 mags at $19.99 each and the rest of the seller's stock at $10 each because it was Xmas and he could use the money, the seller would have been well within his rights as an eBay seller to take legal action. Most sellers won't because what they're selling isn't worth the cost of hiring a lawyer, they'll just leave negative feedback about you.

Now, tehnically you wouldn't have any recourse because the 20+ mags you were going to buy weren't listed in his auction. But, if the auction had been for all the mags, and you were the high bidder or "bought it now" he'd be obligated to sell them to you regardless of any higher offers he might receive. eBay might even act as your muscle in a case like this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Honest? What the hell is honest about going back on your word? Nothing, period.

As for me, I can assure you that I would keep my word.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#30]
As a person who has bought and sold $$$$ on Ebay, including lots of mags, let me offer my opinions.

1.  Because what the guy screwed you on (and yes he screwed you and did wrong in my book) was not listed 'on auction' Ebay will do nothing to help you on this.  Also since the auctions have both been pulled that you bid on, you have no recourse to leave feedback either (since neither technically had a 'winning bidder').

2.  I would email the guy and tell him what you think of him.  I might even go as far as seeing what other things he has on auction and contacting the bidders on those auctions about him.  Ebay probably wouldnt like that, but hey that kinda person shouldnt be on Ebay anyway.

3.  I think you should definitely post his username either here or other gun sites that you visit.  It cant hurt anything (just do it with an anon email addy) and it might just prevent some people from bad dealings with this guy.

anyway, just mtcw

RW
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I wondered if I was right in feeling like I got screwed or if the majority of people would do the same. It seems that for the most part people do stick to a deal once its made. thats very pleasing to know.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Once an agreement has been reached, it should be honored by both parties.

Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]
This is quite a discussion considering how much commerce occurs via the internet and how much you have to take on faith or someone's reputation.

I've been selling an assembly tool on the FAL forum. It's really reasonably priced and has sold well. So what would I do if I accepted orders for a number of tools and then got a large order for them at a higher price? Would I cancel the commitments, sell for the higher price, and destroy any shred of credibility or reputation I had? I don't think so.

========================================================

And if times are tough and money was really that tight, the seller could have at least asked. I'm not above showing a little compassion if someone's having a hard time. You should at least give someone an option, then both parties can walk away clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top