Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 3:48:38 PM EDT
well was not intending to buy any guns but always stop in my local pawn shop as they usually give me some good deals.
they hold some guns for me they think I might be interested in and when I went in they had this sks.
so tell me a few things about it other than its a sks and was made in china.
it is standard length and has the standard stock.
it had the place for the bayonet but it is missing and wonder which one it takes the blade or spike?
it has the norinco 4x28 scope on it with the slide on mount.
made by norinco and its marked 56 before the serial numbers start.
it is blued also and is in great shape.
all the numbers match but unlike my soviet models I do not see a date as the top cover has that scope slide on deal on it?

so is it a pre-ban sks as its not marked sporter and was inported in 88-89 or one of the 92-95 guns?
I paid $160 for it so is that a good price with the scope on it or just ok.
I have alot of ammo and stripper clips for it from my other sks's and ak47's.
been years since I bought a norinco sks like when they were $129 so I was thinking with the scope and all it might not be a bad deal as depending on which bayonet it takes I should not be in it to much and the little lady does like the way they feel.
thanks for any help jon
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
$160 is a very decent price.  They usually got for right at $200 around here.

All the Norinco's I have seen take the spike bayo.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Illegal to install???

My Russian 1951 Tula SKS had a bayo on it when I bought it.  Is that illegal?

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
JC.

You have a good old Norinco SKS...As Troy stated, DON'T INSTALL a spike bayonette or any for that matter.

There was some sort of agreement (or so I was told) between China, some importer or someone but a spike on a Norinco is bad.

Yet you can put a blade on a Russian or the others and it seems to be okay.

I have owned 4 SKS's...never shot a one. But I here there are more accurite than the AK.
Just don't switch to the cheap 30 mags...you may have feed problems. I also hear the 20 round fixed Chicom mag will give you grief as well.

Karsten
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Why is a bayonet illegal on a post 89 sks? There is no pistol grip or FS. just curious.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
FALARAK,
Your Russian SKS is legal for a bayonet. The year it was made is what counts. AFAIK, all Russians are ok for bayonet.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
No its NOT based on year of mfg. It's year of import. And modifications are strictly regulated based on total number of foreign parts within the gun. It's a really grey area of BATF reg.

www.simonov.net

This is a pretty good site dedicated to the SKS and has a great legal section.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So, this would cover ALL SKSs imported after 1989, which is the vast majority of them...

EXCEPT that Russian and Romanian SKSs, in stock configuration, are considered Curio's & Relics, so as long as they remain in stock configuration, they are allowed to keep their bayonets.

Don't forget the new Yugos that are just now showing up!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
JC.

...Just don't switch to the cheap 30 mags...you may have feed problems...
Karsten

I have 3 of the 30 rnd mags for mine and I haven't had any problem with them.  Two are USA and one came with it.

I do wish there was some way to tell the year of import.  That way I could know if the folding stock it came with is legal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If you replace the trigger group with a usa mfg then you should be okay since the total import parts will be less than 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top